History and Bio US

Status
Please reply by conversation.
exactly. I've seen a few muxes come and go. When they show up, its like christmas and when they leave some folks get all huffy. But then they come back and its back to x-mas again. They may go temporarily in the clear for a technical reason such as the station is normally used for local cable headends and one has an issue in a remote place or some may be for other reasons.

I can think of a 1/2 dozen examples where chanenls that are normally scrambled go ITC for a day, week, or 6 months. I use the theory enjoy them while they are there.

As folks have said, don't get too attached to some of the channels. And Jim said it the best, ya suck it up and move on. :)

I can't understand why this discussion is still going on, when the 2 channels aren't even gone. No reason to suck it up and move on, just watch the channels.

REDLINE
I don't follow why you train drivers only consider the water volume to be the boundary. The specification is for the glass container.

Really, I'm surprised that those channels have been around to begin with.

My metaphor is: You are watching TV through the neighbor's window and they shut the curtains from time to time.
The volume of water is the means of measurement referenced to the total volume of the container, however it still stands true that the overall maximum potential volume of the container is 100% over-engineered for the task of containing said volume of liquid.
I havent bothered to confirm today, and I dont know when it left, it was a few days ago when I caught it but BFTV is apparently no longer unencrypted either.
My grandaughter whimpered a bit until I moved over to Qubo, and all was good again.

Great show on History Channel right now (7pm CDT) regarding the Appalachian Mt's and moonshining...

Something that I identify with readily as my GrandFather was a Moonshiner during the prohibition era. A simple farmer, he died because of his involvement in the Moonshine trade.

RADAR

From a purely engineering perspective, whether the glass is half full or half empty is irrelevant. It is however 100% larger than necessary to perform the task of containing the water.

The question isn't whether the glass is half full or half empty. The real question is: "Who's been drinking out of my glass!"

They're dropping like flies. Safe TV, History, Biography, FTV is leaving, Equity will soon be gone.

Will there be anything left????
progress.gif

This was meant to be humorous. I guess others are a little more torn up about it. Personally I still get the networks and the other channels except for Safe TV(and I don't really watch it) on Dish Network. It is a bummer to see so many leaving or planning to leave at the same time though.

OK, my turn to be philosophical...

The more I think of it, the glass is completely full; half with water, half with air. Water being the channels we like to watch and air being the channels we don't. Whether there is more air or more water is irrelevant, it's always full. Unless FTA completely disappears - which would be like the vacuum of space - in which case the water would simply boil away, and we'd be left with a completely empty glass.

I love how people complain when something leaves

ITS FREE people and remember, in most cases we are not their intended audience. So if something leaves, something else usually pops up :)

The channels LoTech posted we were given advanced warning of. SafeTV we were warned was going to leave, FTV shows it on their site and Equity has hinted for 3 years now of leaving
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:)

Complaining is one thing but sometimes you need to know if it is something stupid you are are doing on your end or is everyone having the same problem. The other day I was missing some stuff off of G16 KU, found out it had been moved to AMC3.

Last edited:
The question isn't whether the glass is half full or half empty. The real question is: "Who's been drinking out of my glass!"
Good point, but if she's really cute and likes to party does it matter?...........
SHHH......xyl comming............boss key...........which one is the boss key......

Most foreign channels are intentionally FTA for you to view. They want us to view them. That is why they are spending the money to broadcast it over several satellites so that it get to us.

A lot of the FTA North American channels including the religious channels are also intended to be FTA. Some of these channels rely on advertisement and donations to survive and prosper. When these funds dry up, they have to close shop.

One of the problem some of these FTA channels (that rely on advertisement and donations) face is counting viewership numbers. If they don't know how many people are watching their commercials, it is difficult for them to solicit advertisers and donors.

A way you can help these channels is to develop a way to count viewers. The numbers will help these channels a lot.

Most foreign channels are intentionally FTA for you to view. They want us to view them. That is why they are spending the money to broadcast it over several satellites so that it get to us.

A lot of the FTA North American channels including the religious channels are also intended to be FTA. Some of these channels rely on advertisement and donations to survive and prosper. When these funds dry up, they have to close shop.

One of the problem some of these FTA channels (that rely on advertisement and donations) face is counting viewership numbers. If they don't know how many people are watching their commercials, it is difficult for them to solicit advertisers and donors.

A way you can help these channels is to develop a way to count viewers. The numbers will help these channels a lot.

Exactly!

I think that most everyone is familiar with how PBS runs their support drives. That is what the good FTA channels require in some form. It takes a lot of money to keep these channels going and without support, they won't continue.

Some of the FTA channels don't want this as they are not marketed towards free viewership, but some are. Those that are should be given support (at least by letting them know that they have many viewers like us so that they may have numbers and figures for their advertisers to realize what potential markets they may reach).

I call this Free Marketing and Free Enterprise (of course that does not mean that it is FREE- everything has a cost and dollar value associated with it).

I would gladly donate to several of my favorite broadcasters, just as I have done for PBS over the years. Maybe Scott and Ice could put together some format for us members here to support other channels, just like what Scott offered recently.

I think there would be a lot of positive response to this. Especially for RTN style programming.

Any one else agree and would you also support this notion?

Gordy

AcWxRadar

Sorry Guys I sure stirred you all up but I'm sure glad to see Hist and Bio back.

Pedro,

Don't worry, you just scared us a little! :)

But, it lead into a good discussion. Hope you do not mind that it deviated slightly. I know it is not proper etiquette to do so ordinarily, but I think we kept it to the topic for the most part.

There is a slight tangent involved, but it is related to the subject in a round-about way. We do want to find a way to keep these good channels.

RADAR

That is a very good point, but it would be necessary to sort out those that do want and need the demographics data and those that we really dont want to be yanking their chain.
I cant see the tier 2 type of programming sources that are FTE like those the OP posted would be ones we would want to inform we are watching. I suspect the cable, FIOS and SSPs they sell their services to would not be happy to know the unwashed masses can view the program without a subscription fee. Even the commercial supported networks and locals have gotten into the sale of uplink carriage. The service providers want John Q. off OTA and free anything and subscribing to them for all his a/v/lan needs.
The independents might could use the data, if they could attract major, national accounts, even Billy Mays and the Shamu guy need to have an audience.
We may as a group have some influence, in some cases, but I wouldnt count on sweeping sucess and changes.
Case in point, I believe SafeTV would have pulled the plug regardless. They were simply being cordial and going thru the motions. Had they wanted to increase the audience, an attempt to market their existance to existing TBN, Glorystar and possibly other spiritual oriented groups that are FTA affiliated would have been first line action IMO.
I can see ALTV following suit, or at least loosing audience due to programming changes and they have no choice to go payed carriage and encrypted.
If I had to venture a guess on FTV, it might be contractural for them to no longer be FTE, if a given SP is going to pay carriage.
So who do we inform and whom do we not..............
A list, a list, my kingdom for a list.............

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)