History Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well Dish Network is off the options list. They do a credit check. I don't do credit. At all.
My credit score is ZERO and I want it to remain at ZERO forever. I don't and won't borrow money.
I have no loans, I owe no money, I have no credit cards and refuse to ever have one. EVERYTHING I own is paid in full.
I pay with green cash or debit card only. If I can't pay for it in full then I do without until I can.

Dish also appears to be in bed with the DEVIL, AT&T.
It also appears they REQUIRE you to pay for a "professional" installation. Self install is not an option.
I can't just purchase a tuner and a dish and set them up myself. I think by now I am fully capable and qualified to set up a puny little pizza dish.
I don't want to pay for a "professional" installation anyway. I want it installed MY way, the way I say and with better wires than they would provide.
They also require a 2 year contract.

Their website is SNAKEY and SLIMY. You can't get to a point where you can see the details of the contract without first providing them with all your personal information.
I read also that they use your SS# as your account number. NOPE.......

I'll never find a service I can live with because they are all scumbag profiteering corporations. :mad:

You have just talked to or looked at the website only. If you buy and install your own equipment the install is unnecessary. You may be dead in the water if you don't let someone do credit check. Both dish & directv do credit checks if you lease from them. Your best bet would be to go to the dish forums and contact a DIRT member (dish internet response team). All multi-video providers are profiteering corps. They do not use you SS# as your account number but it is linked to the acct. They are not tied into AT&T. I'm pretty sure AT&T recently went to selling Directv a few months ago. To go w/ Canadian services you will have to go thru a broker but you will have to find out about that as that is all I know. The CA services may not carry the same things as here in the states. It is due to CA laws that say that a certain % of viewing has to be from CA. Ice cover some of what I've said here but I wrote this before I read his posts. BTW I use over size dishes to pick up EA (eastern arc) sats for E*. I have a .9m dish on 61.5 & .7m dish on 72.7 (I don't get anything off 77 so just have pizza so that the VIP722k is happy). I use dish Lnb's hot glued into the LNBF holder (with plastic cases removed). Have pix of the setup in the dish tech forum.

Last edited:
Dee,
if you are doing everything you just said, your credit score should be over 700!!
I am guessing there is more to it, but that was a cool read.
If everybody did that, just think of it. :)

The CA services may not carry the same things as here in the states. It is due to CA laws that say that a certain % of viewing has to be from CA.
correct. History Canada is not the same as History US. While they carry some of the shows usually they are a year behind

Its like that with most of the Canadian specialty channels. Examples are History, HGTV, Food, DIY, Discovery, E!, TCM, G4 just to name a few

There are also Canadian versions of some of the US shows too. So the US version may be on a different station or not shown at all.

I watched some of Canadian Pickers last year while I was in Vancouver. Not as good as American Pickers but interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

According to the Skyvision channel line up for HITS, both History Channel East and West are available along with History 2 which is formerly known as History International. I currently do not have a sub but I will be firing it up very soon. :)

Yeah and it looks like the Discovery Channel is not in the Discovery Pack...I thought it was maybe wishful thinking.

I saw that too but I get Discovery on my QAM channels through cable and I do not watch it all that much. I used to get History Channel that way too until they changed it to digital and the picture quality really stinks on cable. One other thought on the East and West History channels. If I remember right, when I got them through NPS they had different programming on them and it was more than just a time delay difference. However, I usually ended up watching History International the most out of the three channels.

Reason I mention Discovery was if I go back to paying for tv I would like to have it for Mythbusters and Dirty jobs.

Even back in the "old" days the Discovery Channel and the Discovery Pak were two different things and sold separately. Unfortunately Discovery isn't available for the 4DTV anymore.Also originally Disco wasn't going to let us sub to the Disco Pak from H2H but enough interest was shown and they changed their mind.

I think for the immediate future I'm going to shop for a blue ray player that has ALL the internet options.
There are all sorts of little boxes to plug into your TV but it's like this one has this but not that. That one has that but not this.
Etc..

Netflix is pathetic..
Hulu is limited.
Amazon is limited.
Boxee is sad.
XMBC, I dunno. I don't have an xbox and wouldn't have one if they were free. I read the software can run on a pc though.
MythTV is just far, far too complicated. I can't figure it out at all, it's way above my level. Total nerd stuff.
Windows Media center, I don't like it at all. It also will not recognize my satellite tuner card. Microsoft does not support satellites. Idiots.
etc...

Maybe I can find a BR player that has everything on one box.
Each one of the different services offers a FEW useful things but there is not one single service that cover it all.
So maybe I could subscribe to all of them (going rate seems to be about $8 a month) and I'm already an Amazon Prime member.

Here's something new that just popped up. I'll be keeping an eye on this too.

Ubuntu TV unveiled | News | PC Pro

Netflix is pathetic..
Hulu is limited.
Amazon is limited.
Boxee is sad.
XMBC, I dunno. I don't have an xbox and wouldn't have one if they were free. I read the software can run on a pc though.
MythTV is just far, far too complicated. I can't figure it out at all, it's way above my level. Total nerd stuff.
Windows Media center, I don't like it at all. It also will not recognize my satellite tuner card. Microsoft does not support satellites. Idiots.
etc...

I just built my 2nd HTPC (home theater PC) and I run XBMC. It's just the best out there IMHO. It runs great and manages my 400+ DVD iso's just fine. It also has many plugins to watch streaming internet video. Go to xbmc.org and check it out. It's not just for XBOX!

I get both of those shows (older episodes) on netflix streaming.

I have HughesNet so that is not an option for me.

With all the discussions about the Welcome Package it now has me looking at it so my question is there a cost for adding additional receivers and in my case it would be the 311 since I'm only setup for SD.

First receiver is free, each additional receiver is between $7 and $17 depending on model. Best deal is get a 211 pay Dish a one time $40 fee to activate the dvr software and add your own external hard drive and you have a nice dvr.

I think for the immediate future I'm going to shop for a blue ray player that has ALL the internet options.
There are all sorts of little boxes to plug into your TV but it's like this one has this but not that. That one has that but not this.
Etc..

Netflix is pathetic..
Hulu is limited.
Amazon is limited.
Boxee is sad.
etc...

Maybe I can find a BR player that has everything on one box.
Each one of the different services offers a FEW useful things but there is not one single service that cover it all.
So maybe I could subscribe to all of them (going rate seems to be about $8 a month) and I'm already an Amazon Prime member.

Here's something new that just popped up. I'll be keeping an eye on this too.

Ubuntu TV unveiled | News | PC Pro

I'm not sure why Netflix is "pathetic", good source for older stuff... looks good via the original Roku and great via my TV netflix app. Hulu (free) has 4-5 of the latest shows from content providers that they have agreements with. Amazon is limited, compared with Netflix. There is also VUDU (via pay per view), which has higher resolution (HD-like) than Netflix and Amazon.

There's more than just Windows MCE and MythTv, for example:
MediaPortal, MPC-HC, (see Home Theater Computers - AVS Forum for more info/guides),
NextPVR | A free PVR and Media Centre application for Windows and
there was SageTv (purchased by Google, but seems to be going nowhere).

As for Windows MCE and DVB-S/S2, you can get the DVBLogic addons.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts