Hit record in middle of program and the entire episode recorded

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I started watching Good Morning America this morning when it came on at 7am and around 7:30 I had to leave for work and take my daughter to school. But they were telling about a story that would be coming up later into the show. Well my daughter wanted to record the rest of the show to watch later. All she did was hit the record button which we've done many times in the past. The red light came on the hopper and the "record" came up on the screen just as it has many times. But to my surprise, when we came home this afternoon and started the show. It started from the beginning. I had the entire 2 hour episode recorded. How did this happen? Has dish turned on a new feature?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

If you are watching a program for a length of time and then decide to record, the box dumps whatever is in the rewind buffer (back to the beginning of the time slot) into the recording. So you could start watching a movie, and hit record up to an hour into it and still capture the whole thing.

All DVRs do that.

It used to come up as an option. Now it is the default.
So, there is no option anymore? If I only want the 5 minute snippet I just watched, I should be able to do that. Now it's like a Tivo.

Less control, no options. Great.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Do you need to start watching the program from its beginning in order for it to work? Because I ran into the same situation a few days ago. Except that time I don't think I started watching GMA until about 7:05. I hit record before I left the house and it only recorded from that point on.

To the OP, what receiver are you using? On my old 722 you had to selection options after pressing the record button to get to from the beginning if you had the channel on at the start of the program. On the Hopper, if you were watching at the beginning, it will record from the beginning. If you started watching after the start, it will only record from that point. AFAIK.

Do you need to start watching the program from its beginning in order for it to work? Because I ran into the same situation a few days ago. Except that time I don't think I started watching GMA until about 7:05. I hit record before I left the house and it only recorded from that point on.

Yes. If you captured the beginning of the program in the buffer and hit record, it will record from the beginning of the program and dump any previous shows that were in the buffer.

Otherwise, it will record from the moment you hit record and dump the buffer. If you rewind then hit record it will keep everything from that point on and dump everything before.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yes. If you captured the beginning of the program in the buffer and hit record, it will record from the beginning of the program and dump any previous shows that were in the buffer.

Otherwise, it will record from the moment you hit record and dump the buffer. If you rewind then hit record it will keep everything from that point on and dump everything before.

Seems they made it more complicated and less intuitive than just giving a pop-up options menu. :rolleyes:

So, if you hit record expecting to record the entire event but are not live (by even just a few seconds), then you will only record from the point that you hit record at? Likewise, if you want to just record a snippet but forget to rewind because the snippet is upcoming, you'll end up recording the entire event if it's in the buffer.

What if you want to stop recording manually or extend the end time of the current event by a few minutes? Then what?

Seems they made it more complicated and less intuitive than just giving a pop-up options menu. :rolleyes:

So, if you hit record expecting to record the entire event but are not live (by even just a few seconds), then you will only record from the point that you hit record at? Likewise, if you want to just record a snippet but forget to rewind because the snippet is upcoming, you'll end up recording the entire event if it's in the buffer.

What if you want to stop recording manually or extend the end time of the current event by a few minutes? Then what?

I agree that the 722 way is better. I guess I got lucky because I was always in the habit of rewinding then pressing record anyway. I think I picked up that habit back in the DVR 625 days.

Anyway you are sort of right. If the beginning of the program that you are trying to record is in the buffer, then it will pick up the entire program and dump any previous programs in the buffer, regardless of where you are currently playing back. Otherwise, if you don't have the beginning of the program in the buffer, it will record from whatever point you are currently playing back, and dump any buffer before that point.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

So, the option of recording to the end of event, stop recording manually, or extending the end time of the current event is totally gone?

Yep. You can still manually edit the timer if you want to extend the end though.

You can still stop manually and extend the recording length on the Hopper. Since I'm not recording anything right now but I think all you do is go to the icon of the show that is recording, press Select and I think there is an option to Stop recording. Just like previous dvr's if you are watching a on going recording and you want to extend the time, just press the Record button and then the fast forward button to extend.

You can still stop manually and extend the recording length on the Hopper. Since I'm not recording anything right now but I think all you do is go to the icon of the show that is recording, press Select and I think there is an option to Stop recording. Just like previous dvr's if you are watching a on going recording and you want to extend the time, just press the Record button and then the fast forward button to extend.
I'm talking about the "stop recording manually" option where it'll keep recording indefinitely past the end of the current event (like say when recordiing a 4-hour marathon of half-hour shows).

Edit.. Stupid thing didn't quote.. This is in response to daretobe

The tuner has to have been on that channel since the beginning in order to catch the whole thing. If you turned it on at 7:05 and then at 7:25 decided to hit record, it will save everything beginning at 7:05. It doesn't matter if you are timeshifted, it will still record from the beginning of the buffer.

You can always tune away from the channel to dump the buffer then tune back and then record. After you have what you want you can stop the recording to just get a segment of a show.

But usually when I want a segment, it's the part I just missed. If I rewind back five minutes and hit record, will the recording only start at the point I rewound to?

No one has answered my question of recording indefinitely, like when recording a marathon, or an event I know will go past the end time.

No, for the third time, it'll record from the beginning of the show or the beginning of the buffer, whichever is later. All DVRs work like that, because people don't keep pieces of shows. When they hit record in the middle its usually because they want to keep the whole thing.

I seriously don't understand why you have an issue with this.

No, for the third time, it'll record from the beginning of the show or the beginning of the buffer, whichever is later. All DVRs work like that, because people don't keep pieces of shows. When they hit record in the middle its usually because they want to keep the whole thing.

I seriously don't understand why you have an issue with this.
No, for the 2nd time, ALL DVR's DON'T work like that. All ViP's work as I describe. It gives options: record to end of the event, record entire event, stop recording manually, extend end time, and it only records from the point you are in the buffer, unless you tell it otherwise.

People do record pieces of shows. If I have the news on, and I see a story I want my wife to see for example, I'm not going to record the entire 1-or-2 hour news just so she can search for the one story I wanted her to see. I will record the 5-minute segment and be done with it.

My issue is that it appears that Dish took away most of the recording options that the old ViP line used to have. You're welcome for the lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: KatzeKitty
Yes, things are different (admittedly for the worse IMO) on Hopper compared to 722. In a way it is "simpler" but in a way it is more complicated. Mostly it's just different. The only functionality missing is the ability to record indefinitely. Manual timers solves that problem though.

It will record from the beginning of the show automatically (and dump the show before it) if you just hit record and the beginning of the show is in the buffer. Otherwise, you just rewind to whatever point in the buffer that you wish to record, then hit record, It will dump the buffer beforehand and record from that point on (until the end of the show/movie.) As I said before, you can extend the record time by manually editing the timer in progress You can also fast-forward and hit stop at the point that you wish to stop. It will then dump whatever is past that point, save what you recorded beforehand, and put you on live TV.

So it's different than 722 but similar in many ways. I had no issues with the transition from 722k to Hopper or vice versa for that matter. I do miss the menu options but all the things that could be done before can still be done on Hopper. It just takes more key presses for some things, and less for others.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner