HOA Terminology, Is this Legal?

If somone on the HOA board doesnt like you they can make your life miserable.

And while you can hire a lawyer to defend yourself thats costly

I don't understand this gated community phenomenon.

The thought of living in a place that walls out everybody, has 24/7 security, has centrally located facilities Rec Center, Gym, Laundry, and tells people what they can or can't do with their domicile sounds like a PRISON to me.

How insecure have we become to need Fences, Gates, 24/7 security. Crime in the US is at historic lows, where is the need for all this. I'm guessing it's a perception issue, as the media always has the be afraid, be very afraid stories on TV 24/7. Stories of Bad Food, Bad Water, Bad drivers, defective devices, etc.

Judging by the generated hysteria of Shark Attacks several years ago. The Truth was you had a better change of being mauled by a Bear and struck by lightening on the same day at the beach than being attacked by a shark. Turns out the vast majority of Human beings at VERY VERY bad at judging risk. This is why we collectively are so easily swayed by these Media scare tactics. Look at the Thousands of people that won't Fly, but they happily get in their "Daily Death Trap" and risk death or severe injury everyday on their commute to work, statistically the risk of injury or death in automobile is at least a 5000% higher per mile traveled, even in the event of a HIGHLY unlikely Air Disaster many survive.

John

Last edited:
I don't understand this gated community phenomenon.

The thought of living in a place that walls out everybody, has 24/7 security, has centrally located facilities Rec Center, Gym, Laundry, and tells people what they can or can't do with their domicile sounds like a PRISON to me.

How insecure have we become to need Fences, Gates, 24/7 security. Crime in the US is at historic lows, where is the need for all this. I'm guessing it's a perception issue, as the media always has the be afraid, be very afraid stories on TV 24/7. Stories of Bad Food, Bad Water, Bad drivers, defective devices, etc.

Judging by the generated hysteria of Shark Attacks several years ago. The Truth was you had a better change of being mauled by a Bear and struck by lightening on the same day at the beach than being attacked by a shark. Turns out the vast majority of Human beings at VERY VERY bad at judging risk. This is why we collectively are so easily swayed by these Media scare tactics. Look at the Thousands of people that won't Fly, but they happily get in their "Daily Death Trap" and risk death or severe injury everyday on their commute to work, statistically the risk of injury or death in automobile is at least a 5000% higher per mile traveled, even in the event of a HIGHLY unlikely Air Disaster many survive.

John

yeah I have had smokers tell me flying is too dangerous, while they happily puff away on their coffin nails.

risk is everywhere:(

my dad had troubles with mexicans in his neighborhood. After he bought his new HOA home the neighborhood filled with mexicans.

dad is just happy no abandoned cars and no gaudy colors on mexiican homes.

wierdly i like the colorful mexican homes colors;)

My HOA sent me a letter about my pair of Dishes almost 2 years after I installed them. After getting advice here, (Thanks!) I called them about it.

The lady said I had to file an application ( including pictures, site plans, ...etc) along with an application fee.

I told her that the FCC said I didn't have to.

She said that they could ask me to place the Dish out of site.

I told her that they were on the side of the house and I needed them there to get line of sight.

She said well you still have to file an application.

I said that I didn't consider the fee "reasonable" and per the FCC I didn't have to pay it.

I never heard from them again.

Isn't it great :confused:
Nice to know that all of the money people are spending to the HOA to live in their "internment camps" and they still want to dictate how you live your life.

Sorry bro, but I wouldn't be there.:rolleyes:

Not to stray from the thread, but....

I originally moved into a neighborhood with an HOA because it was a nice neighborhood. It has great schools and I got a nice lot. I had never dealt with a HOA before, but thought even that might work out for the better.

My previous house didn't have an HOA and the neighbors were crappy. One guy had piles of dirt in his backyard for years because he thought he would eventually get rid of them. The guy on the other side built half of a deck and then left the materials all over for almost a year. Other people put these iron 7 ft fences around the front yard ( prison style ), and so forth and so forth.

As much as I don't like my current HOA, ( they seem useless) the thought of having one seems to discourage some people from acting carelessly.

I think the best thing is to buy a few acres of land and have tree barriers at the perimeter. But even then, you won't benefit from something like a "planned community".

I told my wife I just want to get a custom bus and "move" whenever I like. :)

I was just joking with you, and you some have valid points. But more often than not it seems, we hear about the NAZI HOA's that are ridiculous. No large American flags, only this color on your house, not that bush or tree, wrong type of grass, can't park in front of your own house, NO SATELLITE DISH or OTA Antenna, etc....

Exactly!!!

Bob,

No HOA can restrict the number of Dish's you can install provided all are needed to receive the programing to which you are subscribed too.

John

actually there is no rule in regards to subscriptions. As long as its under 1meter you're OK no matter how many you put up

I have 6 of them :) (5 FTA and a Phase III for D*)

Other than the 6 footer the rest fall into both the FCC and their rule. They ask that we mount the dish on either the edge of the roof or on our deck and preferably that they arent facing the driveway which is fine as all the roofs run E-W

I'm waiting for them to bitch about the antenna I just put up at the peak of the roof ;)
(needed to be there to get reception on all stations).....its 6 feet above the roofline and the rule says no more than 12 feet

Here's the exerpt from OTARD re: antenna mast height:
In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

There isn't anything in OTARD that restricts mast height to 12 feet. You MAY need to get a permit for one over 12 feet, but that just means the mast has to be secured properly, which you'd want to do anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)