Hoa

What is the big deal with dishes and antennas???? I would take those any day over what goes on in my neighborhood.

If I could get my HOA to enforce the nuts who don't take care of their front yard (mow it more that once a season), fix the front of their house that was built in the last 5 years to look half decent and pick up their junk and trash once in awhile, I would be happy. It is just amazing how many lazy people that are out there that can't even pick up trash in front of their house but drag their trash can right by the stuff twice a week on the way to the curb!

I cannot even guess what it would look like without a HOA bugging the bums.

What's so ambiguous about asking that you submit a form saying you have a dish so they have a record? They can't say no and they can't charge a fee. They are asking for a document that lets them know you have one.

This is allowed per the FCC. If you don't believe me, buy a house that is within an association and put up a dish. When they ask that you submit a document stating you have one and it's location, refuse, then go to court and see what happens. It is not unreasonable to ask for a document that shows where the dish is located.
Is you first sentence a question or a statement?
You state that "this" is allowed by the FCC yet you suggest using an HOA as a source. Is there an HOA sub dept within the FCC?
The issue is this: HOA's generally do not consult FCC regulations before writing their convenants.
I go to board mettings and it is apparent that board members believe they have absolute authority to make rules as they see fit.
HOA's have the burden of proof as to the legality of the HOA rules. The homeowner needs to prove nothing.
DO you have a pro HOA agenda here?

What's so ambiguous about asking that you submit a form saying you have a dish so they have a record? They can't say no and they can't charge a fee. They are asking for a document that lets them know you have one.

This is allowed per the FCC. If you don't believe me, buy a house that is within an association and put up a dish. When they ask that you submit a document stating you have one and it's location, refuse, then go to court and see what happens. It is not unreasonable to ask for a document that shows where the dish is located.
It seems to me that they already know he has the dish - after all, they contacted him about it. If all they need is a record of the fact, let them write it down and be done with it.

Mario

I had a satellite dish installed 6 years ago on the side of my vinyl sided townhouse. At the time, homeowners assoc. had no rules governing sat. dish's of any kind. Installer recommended location, advising against placing on the roof due to inaccessability in the event becomes snow covered. Now association has created new rules prohibiting dish on the siding. Roof's only. I have been notified I must move dish at my expense.
Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks

I had a satellite dish installed 6 years ago on the side of my vinyl sided townhouse. At the time, homeowners assoc. had no rules governing sat. dish's of any kind. Installer recommended location, advising against placing on the roof due to inaccessability in the event becomes snow covered. Now association has created new rules prohibiting dish on the siding. Roof's only. I have been notified I must move dish at my expense.
Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks

Yeah, tell them to kiss you ass! :up

Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure there is a link to this somewhere in here already, but I'll repost it for you really quick

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Print this info out, and send it to your HOA. If they still insist that it needs to be moved note that it is at the cost of your HOA!! I would also insist that they pay for repairs to your siding if they are requiring that you move it as this will leave holes in the siding. I would also insist that they sign a contract taking full responsibility if your roof leaks, as they are requiring that it be mounted there. Perhaps after this they will lighten up a little, and leave you grandfathered.

Good luck, HOAs are the biggest PITA to deal with.

Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks

couple thoughts....

is this a stand alone townhouse or connected? If connected, usually HOA's "own" the outside walls. I know mine do.

I have 2 dishes on the roof (and 4 on the deck) and in the 6 years I have been at my townhouse I have had to deal with snow issues in front of the dish 3 times...all during blizzards. If your dish is up high enough (mast long enough) you shoudlnt have issues. How high up is the roof from an easily accessed area? Mine is up one level and I use a broom

Print this info out, and send it to your HOA. If they still insist that it needs to be moved note that it is at the cost of your HOA!! I would also insist that they pay for repairs to your siding if they are requiring that you move it as this will leave holes in the siding. I would also insist that they sign a contract taking full responsibility if your roof leaks, as they are requiring that it be mounted there. Perhaps after this they will lighten up a little, and leave you grandfathered.
they might leave him grandfathered but as I posted above, if the HOA owns the walls its their issue if the roof leaks anyways. I have 2 dishes on the roof and 2 plates up there. I installed them all and have had no issues. If they are done right it wont leak

Good luck, HOAs are the biggest PITA to deal with.

love the whole generalizing HOA's no matter where they are. I've seen lots of HOA's that actually work.

Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks
Changing the rules in the middle of the game is not allowed. DO NOT move the dish. Follow this link..
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page
go to fact sheet on satellite dish placement. There you will see all the rules and regs set by the federal govt.

Why would anyone buy a house and property in an area regulated by a HOA? My property, My rules. (btw, I keep my property nice and clean, but NO ONE will EVER tell me I have to mow my law because the grass is 1/2 inch too high or that I can't put up a certain mailbox, etc, etc.)

Why would anyone buy a house and property in an area regulated by a HOA? My property, My rules. (btw, I keep my property nice and clean, but NO ONE will EVER tell me I have to mow my law because the grass is 1/2 inch too high or that I can't put up a certain mailbox, etc, etc.)

I bought a house 6 years ago that is in a HOA and I have no issues. Lots of folks have.

Most of the HOA's around here have a lawn cutting/snow removal service so that is taken care of. :)

I ended up doing nothing. I did call and say that the whole thing was prohibited bt the FCC and the lady argued with me. I just told her "Ok." and hung up. Never sent anything back and I haven't heard anymore about it.

I ended up doing nothing. I did call and say that the whole thing was prohibited bt the FCC and the lady argued with me. I just told her "Ok." and hung up. Never sent anything back and I haven't heard anymore about it.
Good..
Now if you can recall, what did she have to say in response?
I find it very amusing when people try to rationalize when the facts are clearly not on their side.

Good..
Now if you can recall, what did she have to say in response?
I find it very amusing when people try to rationalize when the facts are clearly not on their side.

I asked her what she wanted me to send in exactly. She said the application, a site survey, photos if possible, and the $50 fee.

I said I could send in the form and a copy of my inital survey with rough approximations on it, but I couldn't agree to the fee. She said the fee was required. I said it was prohibited because it increased the cost. She said it did not increase the cost of the installation so it was allowed. I said I would consider it and hung up.

After the call I went back and reread the FCC guidelines and now realize that the fee to review the application is prohibited as well so I didn't send anything in. They haven't said anything else.

Main thing is that there are far worse violations in the neighborhood that I am aware of and nothing is being done so I'm not going along with anything either. There are playsets everywhere, patios, decks, extraordinary landscaping, and other dishes. Most people I spoke to just tossed the notices. I imagine that an escalation may be coming, but I feel I am on better ground than others so we'll see.

Bottom line is that I now feel more firm in my decision that they have no right to require such a process. Maybe a notification and drawing like I offered, but no fees or approval ( per the FCC ).

I asked her what she wanted me to send in exactly. She said the application, a site survey, photos if possible, and the $50 fee.

I said I could send in the form and a copy of my inital survey with rough approximations on it, but I couldn't agree to the fee. She said the fee was required. I said it was prohibited because it increased the cost. She said it did not increase the cost of the installation so it was allowed. I said I would consider it and hung up.

After the call I went back and reread the FCC guidelines and now realize that the fee to review the application is prohibited as well so I didn't send anything in. They haven't said anything else.

Main thing is that there are far worse violations in the neighborhood that I am aware of and nothing is being done so I'm not going along with anything either. There are playsets everywhere, patios, decks, extraordinary landscaping, and other dishes. Most people I spoke to just tossed the notices. I imagine that an escalation may be coming, but I feel I am on better ground than others so we'll see.

Bottom line is that I now feel more firm in my decision that they have no right to require such a process. Maybe a notification and drawing like I offered, but no fees or approval ( per the FCC ).

HOAs have attorneys to do their legal work, I recommend sending them a copy of the FCC rules.

In my HOA rulings there is the following statement:

“The HOA rules and amendments voted upon may not violate any Federal, State and local laws.”

Stick to your guns and don't take any crap from them. HOA's can be useful in protecting property values. On the other hannd HOA board members tend to go over the top with regulations and rules. Once these people get a foothold on their respective boards they stay forever. The longer they stay, the more power hungry they become. It gets to be as though you're living under a fiefdom.
I would send a copy of the FCC regs to the board president with a note attached saying you appreciate their efforts to maintain home values. And you'd be happy to cooperate at the expense of the HOA if the HOA could show you documented proof that a satellite dish can lower the value of your property and surrounding properties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)