Hockey on multi sports pack

piranesi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
New York
I've had the multi Sports pack all summer in Western New York and it gave me the Pirates (FOXPT), Indians (STO), and Mets (SNY). I noticed today that with the hockey season underway I wanted to check in on the Penguins/Islanders and I was locked out of FOXPT.

Is this some sort of weird MSG exclusivity thing or do the regionals shift depending on the sport or what?

This is coming from a Pittsburgher. Sorry about you having to view the Pirates this year. You should be entitled to a refund. Actually, watching the screen saying this program has been blackout in your area would have been more exciting or at least, not as depressing.

I've had the multi Sports pack all summer in Western New York and it gave me the Pirates (FOXPT), Indians (STO), and Mets (SNY). I noticed today that with the hockey season underway I wanted to check in on the Penguins/Islanders and I was locked out of FOXPT.

Is this some sort of weird MSG exclusivity thing or do the regionals shift depending on the sport or what?

correct

Each sport "claims" an area. If a team does not have a team for that sport, usually they'll get a neighboring one

I checked the D site for Buffalo, NY and saw this

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):

Yankee Ent. & Sports (YES) (Ch. 631) - HD Available
# New Jersey Nets (HD Available)
# Yankees (HD Available)

Madison Square Garden (Ch. 634) - HD Available
# Buffalo Sabres (HD Available)
# New York Knicks (HD Available)

MSG Plus (Ch. 635) - HD Available
# New York Knicks (HD Available)

SportsNet New York (Ch. 639) - HD Available
# Mets (HD Available)

With the Choice Xtra package you also get:

Sports Time Ohio (Ch. 662) - HD Available
# Indians (HD Available)

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FSN Pittsburgh (Ch. 659) - HD Available
# Pirates (HD Available)

The Pirates is because you have the sports pack....if you didnt have the sports pack, you'd only get NY teams

Here is another example of not having a team for a sport and you get a neighboring one. Madison WI gets the Brewers & Bucks but for NHL they get the MN Wild games

You would think a sport with few fans and fewer dollars would show every friggin game possible to as many people as possible.

This is coming from a Pittsburgher. Sorry about you having to view the Pirates this year. You should be entitled to a refund. Actually, watching the screen saying this program has been blackout in your area would have been more exciting or at least, not as depressing.

It's quite fun early in the year to see all the young talent that will end up on other teams by August. It's like watching a minor-league all-star squad.

Yeah, blackout rules for each league is different. I live in Houston, but I can see all the Dallas Stars (NHL) and Texas Rangers (MLB) games that I want. However, I can't see a single San Antonio Spurs or Dallas Mavricks (NBA) game due to blackouts.

Yea they are a funny thing, I can see St Louis Blues with the multisport pack, but I cant see the Cards. Its accross the board as I have uverse, and they are just about the same as Dish, or D*

You are blacked out because the Buffalo Sabres has territorial rights to the Buffalo NY area. The only way you will get those games is with the Center Ice Package. Even then, when Buffalo plays Pittsburgh you will be forced to watch the game on the Buffalo Feed.

You are blacked out because the Buffalo Sabres has territorial rights to the Buffalo NY area. The only way you will get those games is with the Center Ice Package. Even then, when Buffalo plays Pittsburgh you will be forced to watch the game on the Buffalo Feed.

That's why I cancelled my Center Ice subscription this year - if I pay $160 I want ALL of the games. What difference does it make if I watch the Altitude feed on NHL Center Ice or on the Altitude channel?

That's why I cancelled my Center Ice subscription this year - if I pay $160 I want ALL of the games. What difference does it make if I watch the Altitude feed on NHL Center Ice or on the Altitude channel?
The reason for the CI blackouts is that your local stations have negotiated for exclusive rights for your area so that they can sell advertising. They don't want you watching the away team broadcast of your home team on CI and losing out on viewers for local advertising.

Dumb question, but does the blackouts extend into pre/post game coverage? I'm considering the multi-sport pack, but not for the games (I have CI) but for the pre/postgame coverage.

I didn't see the flyer's RSN on the multsport list, am I correct that even with the mulipack I'd be limited to the opponents pre/post game coverage?

Comcast hides behind the terrestrial broadcast loophole with CSN Philly, so no satellite provider has access it it.

Otherwise, yes, the multisport pack will give you access to the pre and post game shows on the RSNs.

The reason for the CI blackouts is that your local stations have negotiated for exclusive rights for your area so that they can sell advertising. They don't want you watching the away team broadcast of your home team on CI and losing out on viewers for local advertising.

Whatever, if that was truly the case then I would get my local stations on center ice and not the other team's broadcasts when it comes to the local games. This being the case, Dish and the NHL lose out on my $160 this year.

My 'local' team is the Colorado Avalanche, I can't get Altitude because I have HD absolute. I can't get any of the Avalanche games because Center Ice blocks me out of my 'local' team.

Whatever, if that was truly the case then I would get my local stations on center ice and not the other team's broadcasts when it comes to the local games. This being the case, Dish and the NHL lose out on my $160 this year.
That's not how out of market sports packages work. Packages like Center Ice, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc can only sell you access to games outside of your local market. It's all about how the content is licensed.

I can't get Altitude because I have HD absolute. I can't get any of the Avalanche games because Center Ice blocks me out of my 'local' team.
Therein lies the problem. Your programming package doesn't include your regional sports network, and no out of market package can sell you access to your local RSN.

You either have to change your programming package to get your RSN or move and order Center Ice if you want to be able to get Avs games.

Dumb question, but does the blackouts extend into pre/post game coverage? I'm considering the multi-sport pack, but not for the games (I have CI) but for the pre/postgame coverage.

I didn't see the flyer's RSN on the multsport list, am I correct that even with the mulipack I'd be limited to the opponents pre/post game coverage?

In many cases, blackouts don't apply to pre and post game coverage. One exception seems to be Altitude.

If a game goes over it's alotted time period, the blackout is "lifted" and you'll see the game.

A bonus for the Sports Pak is that the re-airing of NHL games the next day on the RSN's is mostly not blacked out (except for Altitude).

Comcast Philly is not available on Dish......not sure if it's like that if you live in Philly.

That's not how out of market sports packages work. Packages like Center Ice, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc can only sell you access to games outside of your local market. It's all about how the content is licensed.

Therein lies the problem. Your programming package doesn't include your regional sports network, and no out of market package can sell you access to your local RSN.

You either have to change your programming package to get your RSN or move and order Center Ice if you want to be able to get Avs games.

Actually I have 'moved' and I did get the Avs games last year but I am always worried that they will force me to 'move' back (or that I will choose to do so). My 'local' team is actually the Coyotes so no loss there!

Basically the NHL loses the most here, I did look into purchasing the online game video package but it has the same restrictions... and the NHL really can't afford to lose my $160 as I see it!

Basically the NHL loses the most here, I did look into purchasing the online game video package but it has the same restrictions... and the NHL really can't afford to lose my $160 as I see it!
Your situation is a corner case. The overwhelming majority of sports fans subscribe to a package that contains their regional sports network, so they won't face the situation that you do.

The NHL would have bigger financial concerns than your $160/season if they started breaking their agreements for exclusive broadcast rights with their regional sports network partners.

Your situation is a corner case. The overwhelming majority of sports fans subscribe to a package that contains their regional sports network, so they won't face the situation that you do.

The NHL would have bigger financial concerns than your $160/season if they started breaking their agreements for exclusive broadcast rights with their regional sports network partners.

I am not saying that they should break any exclusivity agreements but I should be able to receive local broadcasts on center ice/sunday ticket/online passes/etc. It wouldn't be that hard for them to do it and I would still be watching my local broadcaster and, in theory, their advertising partners. It seems that this would especially apply to online subscriptions.

Ah well, it's an argument for another forum for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts