Holy Halo Batman! - Sept. NPD numbers

That could be the turning point of this "next gen war", when Microsoft has to announce the NEXT Xbox by the end of next year to make up for the HD-DVD not being built in, and Sony can sit back and ride the PS3 specs for another 2-3 years after that.

I don't think they should be disappointed at all. I don't really feel that the wii is competing with the 360 as much as the PS3 should be competing with the 360.
I find that statement hilarious. Xbox 360 is in line to get beaten by the wii, so the 360 people just say "the 360 is not competing with the wii". :rolleyes:

I find that statement hilarious. Xbox 360 is in line to get beaten by the wii, so the 360 people just say "the 360 is not competing with the wii". :rolleyes:

There is some truth to it though, as every Wii purchase is not a lost 360 sale. It's not a direct competitor as much as it is an alternative to a traditional console given the way it is marketed (as a console with motion controls... wii would like to play...). The 360 isn't going for that 'rec room in a retirement home' market, or the 'i've never played a console game before but this looks neat' market.

The PS3 and 360 however is generally of an either/or purchase, with people purchasing one or the other.

The PS3 and 360 however is generally of an either/or purchase, with people purchasing one or the other.
Is it? Because in the last couple of generations, every hard core games has always seemed to own all the consoles. Why would this one be any different?

Nintendo positioned it as an "alternative" in marketing because they thought it might follow the Gamecube path, therefore they could claim that they weren't beaten as badly this go around, and not look as bad to investors. Quite the contrary, they are crushing the competition, and likely will get the crown this time. So now Xbox 360 is discounting them, because no matter how you look at it, Wii is kicking ass.

Is it? Because in the last couple of generations, every hard core games has always seemed to own all the consoles. Why would this one be any different?

Nintendo positioned it as an "alternative" in marketing because they thought it might follow the Gamecube path, therefore they could claim that they weren't beaten as badly this go around, and not look as bad to investors. Quite the contrary, they are crushing the competition, and likely will get the crown this time. So now Xbox 360 is discounting them, because no matter how you look at it, Wii is kicking ass.

Yeah, but that .1% of "hard core" gamers that will have both will not turn the tide of the battle - for the vast majority, buying both systems is just not realistic.

Yeah, but that .1% of "hard core" gamers that will have both will not turn the tide of the battle - for the vast majority, buying both systems is just not realistic.
What makes buying both a 360 & Wii or PS3 & Wii more realistic than a 360 & PS3? It's still big bucks.

I believe that Wii is still a participant in the battle, and is legitimately winning, no matter how the 360 (or PS3) fans deny that it is a member of the battle.

What makes buying both a 360 & Wii or PS3 & Wii more realistic than a 360 & PS3? It's still big bucks.

I believe that Wii is still a participant in the battle, and is legitimately winning, no matter how the 360 (or PS3) fans deny that it is a member of the battle.

I think it is more realistic, although not that much more.... I think my point was that we're not debating here over people who will buy more than one console - they are a very small minority.

So if we look at the majority of people who will only buy one console per generation, and who have traditionally been gamers, some will buy a Wii, some a 360 and some a PS3, but not more than one, and I would argue that Wii is not winning the market of "traditional" video game buyers by much, if at all, at least over the 360.

Where they're really cashing in is on people that probably loved their NES, but gradually lost interest when the games took on a more mature feel and got more complicated and/or never were really into games to begin with. It's a great business move, obviously, and if you want to believe that it's a direct competitor to the other systems, that's fine. Like most people on these forums, however, I tend to look at things in whatever way betters my argument, so I don't... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)