Home Structured Wiring Solutions?

Troy Simpson

Original poster
May 27, 2014
I do not want to select a branded solution for structured wiring in my home like On-Q. I find that these types of solutions lock you into their product ecosystem and not very flexible if you want to add something off-brand.

I have seen our server room and wiring closets in the office building I work in. These spaces seem to have standards used by structured wiring vendors to help organize the everything from wiring, power, and servers, etc.

Any ideas that could help me out? Sorry to be so broad, but I just do not know how to ask for what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

First, just what do you want to connect, TV's, computers, phone or something else. This may answer whether you run single or multi cables to each location. What type of house do you have, single or multi floors.
My house which is story and half I've run both RG6 and Cat5 cables from the basement to all over the house, except the bathrooms which wife put off limits. I use two Cisco routers for our smart phones, everything else is hard wired.
You'll need cable, tools and items to mount make holes and mount the components. Can be a lot of work and expense if you don't already have the items.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Minimum of 2 RG 6 and 2 Cat5/6 to each room from a central location are the minimum that I do. I also run 2 RG6 cables from the central location to a mounting point outside for a satellite dish and 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5/6 outside for cable/internet/phone. I would prewire speaker wire for rooms where surround sound is wanted to. I tend to overwire because I have a lot of equipment and its easier to do before the sheetrock goes up

I also had electric wired to the central locations too for power for amps, routers, modems or whatever may go there.

I normally use Open House products for enclosures, wall inserts, mounting hubs etc..

http://www.parts-express.com/brand/open-house/316
http://www.parts-express.com/open-house-h336-enclosure-14-x-36--182-704

These are the ones I did a few years ago for my sister and dads new homes

PIC-0013.jpg PIC-0001.jpg PIC-0002.jpg PIC-0003.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)