Home Theater remote that supports Dish 510 receiver?

jwortiz

Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
Hey,

I'm looking for a Universal learning Home Theater remote that can support a Dish 510 receiver along with the other devices. I just treated myself to a home theater system, but the ONLY problem with the (Yamaha RX-V1600) A/V receiver is the remote. It sucks!

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

jwortiz said:
Hey,
I'm looking for a Universal learning Home Theater remote that can support a Dish 510 receiver along with the other devices. ...
Any of the Harmony remotes will do the job.
http://www.harmonyremote.com/
I have two 508's connected to my ancient 53" Sony, along with a VCR, DVD Player, Yamaha A/V tuner. The 508's are each on a different remote channel and the Harmony sorts that out just fine.
I am sure there are other brand remotes that will also support your needs. With the Harmony you create an account at their www site and pick your equipments and create desired activities such as "Watch DVR #1" or "Watch DVR #2" or "Watch DVD." Push one button and it will turn the TV On, turn the A/V Rec On, select the appropriate input to the receiver, tune the TV to the appropriate source.
Other activities I have created are, "Watch TV(OTA)" AND "Listen To Radio"

You download these activities from their site to your Remote.

Last edited:
I agree, the Harmony series are great. Just plug into the PC, download the codes and then customize! Works great on all my stuff.

Hey SaltyDawg, which model remote do you use? How about those others of you that use Harmony?

I was looking at getting the 676 sport model, but if the 659 works as well then I might get it instead. Can anyone tell me what the 676 offers over the 659?

Thanks.

jbcheshire said:
Hey SaltyDawg, which model remote do you use? How about those others of you that use Harmony?

I was looking at getting the 676 sport model, but if the 659 works as well then I might get it instead. Can anyone tell me what the 676 offers over the 659?

Thanks.

I have the Harmony 680. They have a relatively new model with a color display. I believe that the Harmony 676, 659, 680 are essentially identical except that the buttons are rearranged on each model. I got the one I have because I felt the buttons were more intuitive for a Dish DVR. Go to the Logitech web site - I believe that you can create a program for your specific array of equipments and do a virtual test trial.

I have no regrets with the Harmony.

Wow!

I'm heading over to the harmony site and checking it out.

Thanks for the input everyone.

T2k said:
I have the touchscreen Sony RM-AV3100 for years now: http://www.remotecentral.com/av3000/index12.htm
Since you can literally teach it, it will work with any device out there.
the sony av remote commanders are great a little bulky but oh well
the only problem i have with the remote commanders is it wont do uhf only ir, so will all the new dual tuner dvrs youre sol unless you wanna use original dishnet remote

jwortiz said:
...How does the remote handle the forward and back skip. I saw the back arrow, which I'm assuming could handle the back skip. What about forward skip?

I have it set up so that the forward skip is the curved arrow at 5:00 O'Clock and the reverse skip is at 7:00 O'Clock. Fast forward is the double curved arrow at 4:00 O'Clock and fast reverse is at 8:00 O'Clock.

The three Activity Buttons at the top are DVR#2, DVR#1, OTA TV and the last button displays a list of infrequent activities - Watch DVD, Watch a Video (Tape), Listen to Music. If you watch a lot of DVD's and have only one DVR, you might assign buttons to Watch DVR, Watch DVD....

You can pretty much program any button to do anything, but you want to have some game plan or you'll not remember what you've done.

jbcheshire said:
LOL... It's awesome but yet it can't do everything you need it to?
Sorry, just couldn't resist...

LOL...My Bad...let me clarify! I had the Kamelon way before the DVR625...so I guess it WAS awesome...now it's out of date!

It does have the ability to learn commands from another remote, so I will just have to read up on the manual and give a it a shot, so it can be awesome once again.

I do know one thing, if you get a remote with electro-luminecent technology...get some rechargable batteries! They eat batteries like a fat kid eats twinkies! :idea:

I can understand why people shop at Wal-Mart, although I almost never do. Just checked up on the 680 and its $199 at Best Buy vs $119 from W-M. But BB is usually terrible on accessories.

I have a price alert set up at Nextag.com and I just got a notice that the 680 can be had for $94.50.
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Logitech-Harmony-680-Remote-Control-Simple-one-button-control-for-your-PC-and-your-home-theater-966186-0403-1003350~refer-nextag.html

Here is the Nextag.com comparison chart. Change your zip code for more accurate shipping charges to get the true price.
http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/productm.jsp?product=84094929&pdir=0&page=1000&node=&category=&lgsearch=harmony_680&lgnode=&units=1&shipping=Ground&sort=total,#abc

Last edited:
For those who don't want to spend in the $100+ range, I highly recomend the OneForAll 8820 (or its siblings the 6820 or 10820, all the same, save for the number of devices they control). I have the 510, a Toshiba 62HMX94 tv, Pioneer DVD player, and a Pioneer A/V receiver, which is notoriously finicky about remotes. The 8820 has a HUGE code base and accepts advanced and discreet codes. The button layout is quite nice. No backlight, but you can easily find the right buttons in the dark with a little practice. It does have dedicated skip ahead/back buttons, as well as a DVR button for quick access to recorded shows.
The really cool thing about this remote is that you can program macros and assign them to device keys. For example, if I press and release the DVD button, it simply puts the remote in DVD mode. But... If I press and hold the DVD button for a couple of seconds, it kicks off a macro that makes sure all components are turned on, switches the TV to component input #1, sets the screen size to "full", switches the A/V reciever to the DVD input, sets the audio mode to standard DD/DTS, then powers on the DVD player and switches the remote to DVD mode. I have similar macros hooked to the SAT and TV buttons. So, basically an activity based remote.

Best part? only cost me $18 at a local retailer. This is a great bargain and controls all the basic day-to-day stuff I need and keeps the family happy, too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)