Homebrew Antenna?

skynyrd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I was thinking today of how to get some digital stations that are aways away from me.. I lve 70 or so miles from the broadcast tower.. I have a old antenna that I am planning to hook up to see what I can get with Analog, and if I get a good enough picture, I may get some converter coupons and get some digital boxes...

This got me thinking though.. I have saw the idea out there for wifi "cantanas".. Basically where a 18" pizza pan dish is modified with a metal can that has a wifi antenna stuck in the middle. I have heard that these experiments can recieve access points several miles away... So my question is, has anyone tried this with OTA stations? I would say if you could get a weak 802.11 radio signal from far away, you should be able to get a stronger tv signal this way also, especially since the dish antenna would be highly directional...

There's no reason that you couldn't modify a satellite dish to be the reflector, except that you'd mount the LNB arm upside down because you're aiming at the horizon instead of 40-50° in the sky. You'd get better results from a modern UHF-TV antenna, though. The Gray-Hoverman is an excellent design, but if you're not into cutting and soldering wires, you can get an excellent long-range UHF antenna, with mounts, for under $200.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)