homemade bud possible

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
if push comes to shove I thought of a really neat idea get some small 1" pipe (that they use for coduit) make some ribs then make a circle then glue metal screen on it or gutter gaurd construct a mount that you can use an aucator on and voila!

Often wondered about trying my hand a building my own...
In place of using mesh, I've thought about using aluminum sheets. You can get them for scrap price at any printshop/newspaper (used aluminum printing plates.)
You'd have to have a flat level surface for the construction.
Someone who has a welder capable of welding lightweight aluminum shouldn't have any problem with such a project.
I recall a story umpteen years ago about a guy who had used a tractor rim to receive signal...

Paint this beauty with some flat paint and remove the tea kettle, install an LNBF and watch some TV!

P1080994.JPG

anything parbolic should be receive signal you could use a metal carbage can lid if you wanted to i have seen videos on youtuben youtube to make one but they are prety compilciated cadsulfide has a free 10 footer but i am wondering if he can ship it

chatted with some chinnese suplier on halibaba (global prodcut trade resocure)
$58 for a 6 footer with polar mount but shipping is impossible due to it being air mail

Couple of years ago, the Vetrun Satellite Forum in Australia, had a project where they made viable dishes.
It's a sticky thread over there, somewhere.
I'd say they were about 85% the quality of store-bought.
Take a read, if you're really interested in lots of bad and good ideas.

Some doctor in Cuba read all about it, and bugged 'em for months while he tried to perfect his.

I was going through a stack of old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines from the early 80s recently.

They were filled with advertisements for home built C band satellite dishes. Some were like a metal fence with the LNB on a post positioned strategically in front of it. Others were in kit form resembling our BUDS.

I could scan some ads if anyone's interested in the nostalgia.:)

do it please... how parabolic does the dish have to be to receive signal can i take a 6 foot sheet of 14 guage steel cut it in a cirlce and then weld a rim around it a foot deep? like a big pot.

I saw a pic of a homemade c-band dish one time that was just a big square fence (pretty much) with the feedhorn/lnb on a fence post about 15 feet away.
Seems fairly simple to construct.

You could even do some type of "simulsat" by bending your parabolic fence in a convex arc from east to west and mount your feed assembly to some type of emt conduit accurately following the curve. Simply just move your feed to change satellites without moving the reflector (like the cable companies do)

Use some type of dc stepper motor and make it automatic !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)