Homeowners association pressuring to remove dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jlrpes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Dallas
Does anyone know up to what size of Dish i can have on my back yard? I have a 2.5 dish on my back and i got a letter from my HOA advising that i have to bring it down or i will be receive a fine. They do not specify up to what size of dish i can have; of the people from the HOA told me that i can onl have one of the small ones. Any advise of what i can do? Any websites that i can see where i can forward to them advising that i can have a dish on my backyard as long as it is not visible from outside?

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas is the site

Are you speaking of a 2.4m dish as in 8 feet? If so, you're screwed. Unless you live in Alaska where there is no limit, the limit you are protected under is 1 meter (39.6666667 inches)

Can you maybe take pics? If it doesnt look that bad maybe you can work with the association. I was able to keep my 6 footer up even before I became the president of our HOA :)

and lets keep it on topic of how we can help this member and not spew personal opinions of HOA's

Thank You (nipping that one right away)

I will take pics. I tried to talk to them to see if i can lower it down more even tuching the ground so i can keep it and they said no. I replied to them asking them up to what i can have as i was going to see of even buying a smaller to get the signal and they said no. The only ones that i am allow is the regular ones like dish or directv.

It is on the ground next to the fence. You can just see just the part from the top. When the guy installed it i made sure it was as low as possible to avoid the HOA

The only ones that i am allow is the regular ones like dish or directv.

Thats wrong as noted above 39.666" is the max you are "covered" under

and whats funny is some DIsh & DirecTv antennas are nearing that size
The Directv international dish is 36x24
the Direct Phase 5 is 26x30
the Direct slimline is 23x33
Dish 1000 is about the size as a slimline

It is on the ground next to the fence. You can just see just the part from the top. When the guy installed it i made sure it was as low as possible to avoid the HOA

How about raising the fence? Some HOAs have rules allowing you to have whatever below the fence. Sounds like your's regulates everything.

You are allowed to have 1 meter or smaller dishes. I believe the FCC rules should allow multiple antennas, but may only apply to OTA / Radio, not dishes.

The HOA can restrict where you put your 1 meter dish(es), but only if there is a less conspicuous location that receives the signals you want to receive from the "eyesore" location.

So if you can't get anywhere with them, you can ask if they would prefer your backyard dish behind a fence, or 8 one meter dishes in the front yard all pointing different directions since that will be the only location you can get the exact signal you want. :)

As the president of your HOA, can you enter on someones backyard to search? If i get a smaller dish and it is not visible from outside at all. They can't say anything right?

We don't know how much can be seen over the fence, so it's hard to comment on cosmetics.
I recently found a BUD lurking behind a 6'6" fence, but the upper half of a white 8' solid dish was showing.
Kinda hard to miss. :)

Be Nice:
In your case, I'd have considered camouflage.
Maybe some paint along the top edge of the dish where it shows, to blend in?
Maybe a screen, fence topper, or tall bush to hide the upper part from view?
There are black nets to keep birds off fruit trees, which you could drape over it and some nearby trees.

Be Mean:
Since the 1 meter dishes are legal, and they can't stop those, you might tell them your alternative is to put up quite a number of 'em ... out FRONT!
See picture below - show it to them as a last resort. :rolleyes:
... and tell 'em you are planning on running for the President of the HOA, next time! :cool:

Food for Thought:
You can take down the dish and lay it in the back yard and keep it around, if necessary.
If you're clever, maybe you can come up with a way to deploy it after dark.
Or, if a permanent structure has their panties in a wad, one way some members have fought back, is to put the dish on a trailer, so it's movable, and no longer a fixed structure.

SOL:
If you put the thing up knowing you were in violation of your HOA, I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Attachments

• 2manydishes.jpg
    2manydishes.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 487
The funny thing i that i have had for almost 4 years now!!!! The thing is that we use to have a different HOA and they swith to a different one. I received a notice a year after i put it one and the guy was nice to send me a form so i can have it as long it was not to visible from the outside; so i lowered it down more and he said it was fine to have it. My error was to never ask him for a written confirmation of this. Now the new HOA is saying that i have to bring it down. I am going to send them an email tomorrow telling them that i can have a 1 meter dish per the FCC but they might have their own rules.

screw 'em:

See a lawyer.
I think you are grandfathered in.
Especially if you've had it without complaint for four years.

Im glad I live where I live. If someone told me they didn't like my dishes I'd tell them to pound sand. HOA's are a bunch of crabby bastards that have nothing better to do in life. I wonder what would happen if you threatened to take away something they believe in??

Thats wrong as noted above 39.666" is the max you are "covered" under

and whats funny is some DIsh & DirecTv antennas are nearing that size
The Directv international dish is 36x24
the Direct Phase 5 is 26x30
the Direct slimline is 23x33
Dish 1000 is about the size as a slimline

Actually, the 500+ is the size of the Slimline. The 1000.2 is significantly smaller.

Talk to an attorney in your area. But you may win the battle but lose the war, depending on how much crap this HOA wants to 'dish' out. I def would go out and buy a 1m dish and put it up, and keep a copy of that FCC regulation in case they want to play harder hardball.

As the president of your HOA, can you enter on someones backyard to search? If i get a smaller dish and it is not visible from outside at all. They can't say anything right?

we have townhouses and usually twice a year we go through the complex to see if there is anything that really needs to be fixed/updated

Otherwise the only time we have issues is when cars are parked in the same spot for like a month. Otherwise we're pretty cool about most things :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts