HomeTheatherMagazine: Even more HDTV from VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Even more HDTV from VOOM
By Darryl Wilkinson
Reposted from http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/120504voom/
dots.gif

bullet1.gif
December 6, 2004 — Despite the fact that financial analysts remain nonplussed by VOOM, the HD-content leading satellite service (provided by Rainbow DBS, a subsidiary of Cablevision System Corp.), those of us on the receiving end of the small-dish system see big promise in such a large selection of HD channels from which to choose. That's why the recent announcement that Rainbow DBS has selected Lockheed Martin to build five more geostationary telecommunications satellites to provide direct broadcast services across the continental US (conus) should make all HDTV owners smile. The first of the five satellites is expected to be completed and launched before the end of 2007. VOOM anticipates an ultimate capacity of over 5,000 HD channels.

The VOOM announcement comes almost three months after rival provider DIRECTV released a statement concerning the planned launch of four new next-generation satellites intended to greatly expand DIRECTV's capability to deliver more local and national high-definition channels (in addition to new interactive and enhanced services as well as standard-definition programming) beginning in the middle of 2005.

The Rainbow DBS folks, however, aren't satisfied with waiting for the new VOOM satellites to achieve Earth orbit. They recently announced the intention to considerably expand VOOM's available channels by March of 2005. VOOM's current offering of 130 full-conus channels will balloon to a whopping 350 full-conus channels; and, more importantly for HDTV owners, the current industry-leading 39 HD channels will jump to more than 70.

According to Tom Dolan, CEO of Rainbow Media Enterprises, "The increase in VOOM's HDTV channels from 39 to more than 70 will allow us to continue to provide more high-definition video services than any other cable or satellite provider. Our plan is to simultaneously add nearly 200 standard definition channels."

Integral to VOOM's expansion plans is the move to MPEG-4 transmissions. "Today's announcement is a step forward in our plans to advance VOOM to MPEG-4 later in 2005. All VOOM customers have been provided with set-top boxes capable of receiving the MPEG-4 signal and we remain committed to offering more than 400 full continental US channels before the end of 2005," explained Dolan.

VOOM recently expanded their standard-definition channel lineup, adding five cable lifestyle channels from Scripps Networks. The new additions include Home & Garden Television (HGTV), GAC-Great American Country, DIY-Do It Yourself Network, FINE LIVING, and Food Network. (VOOM subscribing "Iron Chef" fans rejoice!)

In other news, Cablevision has once again delayed the spinoff of VOOM and the cable channels AMC, IFC, and WE: Women's Entertainment (all parts of the Rainbow Media Enterprises business unit). At last count, VOOM had approximately 26,000 subscribers compared to 12.1 million for DIRECTV and 10.5 million for EchoStar's Dish Network. A more valid comparison, however, would be the number of HD-receiver-equipped Dish Network and DIRECTV subscribers to VOOM's subscriber count. (All of VOOM's subscribers use an HD satellite receiver.) Individual subscriber statistics are not readily available. With such low subscriber numbers, it's easy to see why the financial analysts are pessimistic about VOOM; and VOOM subscribers are still eagerly awaiting a receiver with a built-in HD PVR. But the HD picture quality and the HD content quantity are so good, we think VOOM is just the kind of thing HDTVs were made for.

VOOM recently expanded their standard-definition channel lineup, adding five cable lifestyle channels from Scripps Networks. The new additions include Home & Garden Television (HGTV), GAC-Great American Country, DIY-Do It Yourself Network, FINE LIVING, and Food Network. (VOOM subscribing "Iron Chef" fans rejoice!)

Hi:
What channels are fineliving, diy, and gac on?

Scott Greczkowski said:
There not... yet.

The will be on the rainbow Rainbow 2 satellite in March

That is some fine journalism then - why not say VOOM has a DVR since that will be here in March too.

jnardone said:
That is some fine journalism then - why not say VOOM has a DVR since that will be here in March too.
Because the contract has been signed for the channels Sparky but the DVR is probably dependent on other factors. You just cant sign a piece of paper and have a DVR.

Agree with jnardone.

Vurbano - Call me senstitive but I do not see the need for name calling.

MNHTUG said:
Agree with jnardone.

Vurbano - Call me senstitive but I do not see the need for name calling.
You agree that Voom should announce that they have a DVR already? before they actually do? The channel contracts are apparently done. I would rethink that if I were you.

Vurbano--

No, I agree with jnardone that the press release is misleading. Why announce that channels have been added if we can't actually view them?

andrzej said:
MNHTUG and jnardone, are you going to sue those shameless liars?

No, but I would never hire that writer from HomeTheater magazine if he can't be bothered to check the facts for his article.

jnardone said:
No, but I would never hire that writer from HomeTheater magazine if he can't be bothered to check the facts for his article.
This is rich. The author wrote "recently expanded" meaning they recently signed contracts and because you cant understand that, You would never hire him. But if he wrote "is expanding" he could be an employee of yours. Thank goodness Home theater magazine did not to hire you. Of course all of your work would be flawless. LMAO

Part of his facts were right...it's not March yet, but VOOM is broadcasting a portion of those channels already, HGTV and Food Network.

This is what he DID say:

"VOOM recently expanded their standard-definition channel lineup..."

He didn't exactly say that VOOM is actually broadcasting those 5 channels presently, only that the lineup was expanded. Even so, 2 of the 5 are broadcasting now on Voom and the other three will likely be on the air before March, as well.

Question: Voom plans on adding 200 more SD channels by March, what on Earth are they going to add? There are not 200 more SD channels to add, are they going to try and lure International, Shopping, Crappy SD PPV or what?

There are plenty of Crappy SD Offerings and not So Crappy too!
I had over 120 channels on my E* and if you include all the Foreign Lang Stations (RAI, NKK, Al jazeera etc..) and Music only (Sirius Sattelite radio) then you can get to 500 easy
While I hate the Shopping Channeles As I understand it they PAY to have their their stuff aired. And its not like VOOM couldn't use some Money right?? (Please Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Additionally I will take the Crappy PPv channels instead of having to drive to BlockBuster!
Sure more HD Content would be better but while I do like my HD so far (I am a new subcriber and the good feelings may not last....it has not rained here yet) I miss some of my old SD Channels!

Other SD Channels I'd like to see (These are the ones I lost when I switched from Dish Network

NASA TV -Live coverage of NASA Missions this was way cool when the Mars Rovers landed....
G4Tech TV--- Need I say more
NOGIN----- This is a big one Probably the best of the Kids networks
NICKTOONS - you can never have enough Childrens programming
A3tv (Not on E* but cool if your into Electronic and Dance Music)
Disc Science
" Health
" Wings
" Times
BBC America
Court TV -Or Car chase TV hahah
Fox Sports Regional (I want the whole thing not just during the Marlins Games)
Sunshine Network

Is that 200 Channels of course not but its a start. (For me at any rate.)

Threv said:
Other SD Channels I'd like to see (These are the ones I lost when I switched from Dish Network

NASA TV -Live coverage of NASA Missions this was way cool when the Mars Rovers landed....
G4Tech TV--- Need I say more
NOGIN----- This is a big one Probably the best of the Kids networks
NICKTOONS - you can never have enough Childrens programming
A3tv (Not on E* but cool if your into Electronic and Dance Music)
Disc Science
" Health
" Wings
" Times
BBC America
Court TV -Or Car chase TV hahah
Fox Sports Regional (I want the whole thing not just during the Marlins Games)
Sunshine Network

Discovery Health is on Voom - channel 605.

there are also more movie channels that they can add to each movie tier. I remember having hbo zone, 5 star max, starz cinema, starz theatre, black starz, sundance, tmcextra, flix, wam, and fox movies only to name a few. they could also do what cable did and add west coast feeds of most of them (not that we would need them, but it would increase the channel listings).

RPacion said:
Discovery Health is on Voom - channel 605.

Thanks!! I must have missed it somehow! (Too busy Wathing Thunder Birds and MOOV) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)