Hook more than one splitter to a SWM8 setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I dont know if this is possible but I'm sure it is

My mom has 4 receivers in her house. A D12 in her bedroom, a HD receiver in the living room and 2 HD DVR's on a SWM8 (the splitter one). Well my younger brother moved out now so they have a HD DVR not being used. My stepdad is always clamoring about having conflicts on his DVR and wants to get a Genie. I explained why not use my brothers DVR downstairs and have 2 there so you can record 4 things at once (thats what I did before the Genie). Unlike me the conflicts my stepdad has are when there are 3 sporting events on or 2 + one other program. (he's either out of contract or coming up on it so it seems dumb to add a 2 year contract for the Genie in his case)

I looked and it would be pretty easy to run a second cable there but can I just put a 2 way splitter behind the TV and hook up the 2nd DVR?

so it would be like such

LNB-----cable-----SWM splitter----cable----output 1 to SD
------------------------------------cable----output 2 to HD receiver
------------------------------------cable----2nd splitter output 1------HD DVR 1
------------------------------------cable----2nd splitter output 2------HD DVR 2?

He'd still be under 8 tuners

Are you saying there is already an 8-way splitter there (an SWS8)? If so you should not add another splitter, because that would create a 16-way signal split at the output from the second splitter. But if the first splitter is an SWS4 (or you replace the SWS8 with an SWS4) then you can certainly add an SWS2 2-way splitter to that.

its a SWS8 I guess ( an 8 way splitter)
This setup is probably 4 years old (before Directv knew you could use smaller splitters I guess)

so it sounds like just run the 2nd line instead of buying a 4 way and a 2 way splitter (less money). The run is maybe 30 feet and easily accessible

if I understand you correctly, yes you can hook a swm splitter behind the 1 hd dvr and feed both hd dvrs from that location.

thats what I'd like to do but texasbrit says I shouldn't because the splitter there right now is a 8 way for 4 receivers (2 DVR's and 2 receivers)

I got an 8 way in the basement and a 4-way in the bedroom because I wanted 2 receivers in the same room.

It will work

I wouldn't recommend 3 splitters in a system or an 8 way on top of an 8 way due to the excessive db loss

DirecTV recommends no more than an 8-way split in total because of the signal losses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)