Hook up 5 TV's (3 HD) to one Satellite

betadelta94

Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I just had my HD Satellite installed about 9 months ago. The cables from the satellite hook into a DP44. 2 lines run into a VIP622, that controls 2 TVs. The other 2 run to receivers to non-HD TV's. I want to run a 5th TV thats HD, but would rather not have a 2nd satellite installed.

I was told that I could just buy a 2nd DP44 switch and a HD receiver (another 622 or 222) Trunk the 2 DP44s and run a line to the new HD receiver.

Sounds like this would work, but with the cost of the new equipment, I wanted to make sure before I explained the extra charges on my credit card to the wife. ;)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
-The new guy

I don't know if it is possible but if I was going to do it I would do my best to try and run only one cable to the satellite because running five separate cables that far would cost a lot of money!!! Of course running one cable that far would cost so much that if you could afford it then you may as well run five.

Also, I am not sure about this one either, but I think that Dish network (and most companies) do not want you running cables directly to the satellite so you had better check with them first....

(I think that this is probably the answer that you did not want? This was meant to be sarcasm and not intended to slight the original poster)

I will have to double check how everything is hooked up. I thought 2 cables went to the 622 but I might be wrong. Everything was professionally installed by The Dish Network Contractors. When he installed it, he told me that I could hook up an extra TV, but the 2 TVs would have to be on the same channel. A tech support rep from Dish Network was the one who told me about the extra DP44 and receiver. I'm trying to figure out who is right. Or if the installer was just telling me the cheapest way to do it.

Adam, I was picking up on your sarcasm. That would be really expensive, not to mention how ugly it would look for all those cables going into the sky. Obviously, I meant the dish. LOL.

Hes got a DP34 im thinking. If it was a "DPP 44" only a fool would run 2 lines from it to a dual tuner. Get a 2nd "DP34" and trunk it with the other one. Run 2 lines to the new dual tuner. Done.

You can find DP34's for cheap or even free. DPP 44's cost ALOT.

As stated by hokiecb, you just need a DPP separator for the VIP622. Most come with the two short lengths of coaxial cable to connect to the receiver. This will free up a port on your DPP-44 for the new HD receiver. Look on eBay for the separator. Should be fairly cheap (<$10). A new DPP switch is expensive, even on eBay. However, if you go the DPP-44 route, yes, you just need to cascade the new switch off the existing one for a total of 8 ports. Also, a DP-34 will work, cascaded off the DPP switch. However it will only support 3 satellites (which may not be a problem), and will not support the use of the DPP separator, of course. They are cheap however.

Last edited:
I agree the whole situation would make more sense if he has a 34 but he keeps saying 44.

Check and see what the switch has written on it, or press menu 6-1-3 on your remote and see what it says in box h.

I do know for sure that it is a DPP44. I just assumed that 2 cables ran to the 622 because 2 TVs can control the DVR. When I looked at the switch, all 4 ports are being used. I'm assuming that each port goes to a TV.

Impeyr, do you know what other recievers I could use to give me the HD signal? The 622 is really expensive. Even on ebay.

I'm pretty sure it a 211 on the 2 TVs that don't have HD. I'm not sure what is on the other TV that has access to the DVR. I don't remember seeing one on that TV, but then again, I have'nt really looked either.

If you have a 622 and 2 211's then there should be 3 outputs from the 44 switch. The second TV for the 622 has a cable running directly from the 622 to the room with the other tv. If you want to add another 622 it should be possible with what you already have. I'm just not sure why all 4 outputs are in use unless the installer just did it the old way and ran 2 cables.

Look at this link, it has a diagram that may help.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/Distribution_Diagram_9.pdf

If you have a 622 and 2 211's then there should be 3 outputs from the 44 switch. The second TV for the 622 has a cable running directly from the 622 to the room with the other tv. If you want to add another 622 it should be possible with what you already have. I'm just not sure why all 4 outputs are in use unless the installer just did it the old way and ran 2 cables.

Look at this link, it has a diagram that may help.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/Distribution_Diagram_9.pdf

and....im thinkin he should be sure of his equipment before asking for advise. makes it easier to give an intelligent answer.

and....im thinkin he should be sure of his equipment before asking for advise. makes it easier to give an intelligent answer.

True that would make it a lot easier, but you can't fault the poster for not understanding the workings of their system. If you dont have any background about the equipment how are you supposed to know what to know before you ask? Isn't learning the whole purpose of a question?

True that would make it a lot easier, but you can't fault the poster for not understanding the workings of their system. If you dont have any background about the equipment how are you supposed to know what to know before you ask? Isn't learning the whole purpose of a question?

you look at the front and the back of the equipment in your house for the tag that says "model number". elementary my dear watson.

hey, Henry Ford, my car makes a funny noise!

what model car is it?

hmmm, i think it says chevy on the back......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)