Hook up Vip211k to DVD Recorder

kikenovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Somewhere in time
Is it possible to hookup the VIP211k to a DVDR (a Magnavox 2160A in this case) and keep 16:9 aspect on the HD channels? The DVDR only has inputs for Composite and S-Video.

Currently if I tune in a HD channel it looks letter boxed streched on the DVDR. I have to record from the SD feed instead.

For example I can accomplish this no problem with basic CATV, the DVDR has a QAM tuner and it down converts HD broadcats to DVD quality which still looks pretty good on a high def TV.

Thanks.

Is it possible to hookup the VIP211k to a DVDR (a Magnavox 2160A in this case) and keep 16:9 aspect on the HD channels? The DVDR only has inputs for Composite and S-Video.

Currently if I tune in a HD channel it looks letter boxed streched on the DVDR. I have to record from the SD feed instead.

For example I can accomplish this no problem with basic CATV, the DVDR has a QAM tuner and it down converts HD broadcats to DVD quality which still looks pretty good on a high def TV.

Thanks.

Sorry, but the issue is your DVD-R. If you want to keep it 16:9 on a widescreen TV, you need to set your 211k out to 4:3 #2. You need to record your program, then eject your DVD before you finalize it. Edit your DVD on your computer to enable the anamorphic flag. This way, your DVD players will know to stretch/zoom it for 16:9 TV's.

Oh--I hope you're using S-video and not composite to feed your DVD-R.

Sorry, but the issue is your DVD-R. If you want to keep it 16:9 on a widescreen TV, you need to set your 211k out to 4:3 #2. You need to record your program, then eject your DVD before you finalize it. Edit your DVD on your computer to enable the anamorphic flag. This way, your DVD players will know to stretch/zoom it for 16:9 TV's.

Oh--I hope you're using S-video and not composite to feed your DVD-R.

Changing the aspect ratio option between 16:9, 4:3 #1 or 4:3 #2 doesn't change anything on the 480i analog outputs.
HD WS is 4:3 letterboxed with all three selections. (Black bars top and bottom.)

The owner's manual states that the 4:3 #2 selection will horizontally squeeze the frame, but it doesn't through the 480i analog outputs.

The OP didn't indicate what type of display would be used for viewing the DVD.
If the display is 16:9, you will need to equal zoom (with the display) the 4:3 letterbox DVD source to fill the 16:9 display.

Unfortunately, the 211k doesn't have the picture size options with the 480i analog outputs, that are common on CECBs. (WS crop or full frame height horizontal squeeze)
For a crop, a SD channel must be used. And there isn't a way that I know of, to get any type of horizontal squeeze with the 480i analog outputs.

Last edited:
Beeper, the plan is to use a 16:9 display to playback the recorded DVD. You're right changing ratios didn't change anything on the s-video output.

I guess I'll stick to recording from the SD feed and play it back pillarboxed. My TV is also not flexible for zooming windowboxed video.

Thanks.

Beeper, the plan is to use a 16:9 display to playback the recorded DVD. You're right changing ratios didn't change anything on the s-video output.

I guess I'll stick to recording from the SD feed and play it back pillarboxed. My TV is also not flexible for zooming windowboxed video.

Thanks.

Most 16:9 displays (and some DVD players) have a zoom mode to zoom 4:3 letterbox to the full 16:9 screen area.
It zooms the width and height equally, keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Test your display and DVD player picture size (zoom) settings with a 4:3 letterboxed program like is commonly used on some SD USA network programming,
it should look the same as a HD WS channel through S-video.

That zoom method will degrade the PQ a little.

I use a 211k with an external HD, but to archive something, I send the S-video to a MCE PC. Then zoom the playback with Media Center, or the 16:9 display.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)