hooking up a dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
I am buying a dishwasher and I wonder how hard it is to hook up. This will be a new install and I will need to run the power, water and waste lines. I am fairly experienced at home improvement projects but have never done this before.
Do you think I should get it installed or should I try it myself?

Not real hard ,if you have some plumbing and electrical knowledge. My Dishwasher has a wire that runs directly to my panel box, but my water supply runs right from the same plumbing as my kitchen sink.

The only part that worries me is running the power line. I have never ran a direct line before. I am sure with a little research, I can do it.

If you have space in your panel box its Easy. Mine Direct with a 20 Amp breaker.But best thing to do is get your Dishwasher ,and see what wire and breaker is required. To be safe ,make sure you turn the power off!.

Easy job, assuming you can get a wire to the spot.

Remember- connect the dishwasher drain into the port provided for the purpose on the disposal unit. This way, effluent from the dishwasher will be ground up in the disposer. Also, the drain line should be looped up above the sink water level (just as high as possible under the counter) for an air gap/backflow preventer. Some jurisdictions require this air gap device that looks like a chrome cap sticking out of your sink. Any decent hardware store will have somebody that can answer any questions.

And oh yes- be very sure it's level. And all connections are water tight- use teflon tape. Leave the bottom panel off for a few days and a few runs, to make sure there are no leaks.

And only connect to a system with a ground. Don't even think of skipping the ground.

I daresay you may well do a better job than a hired man- you have to live with it, he doesn't.

most dishwashers you can hook up a plug to and simply plug them in (usually under the sink, so it's easy to remove/disconnect)

plumbing isn't that bad if you have a garbage disposal, just pop the dishwasher connection hole and connect the hose.

done.. :)

New install? Does this mean it is going into a new kitchen remodel? Let me assume you are taking out a counter cabinet in an existing kitchen.

Some tips- I did mine-

1. Make sure you install it is a way that allows you to easily slide it out for repairs. Dishwasher's seem to be the most common Kitchen appliance for needing repair. So make it easy to remove.
2. Usually the DW goes next to the sink and you will be connecting the drain through a cabinet wal to the sink drain. If you have a garbage disposal, most modern ones have a connection for the DW drain.
3. The code for DW is that it be a separate outlet but may be combined with the garbage disposal. It has to be GFIC if installed after July of 2007. You do this at the panel box. I'd recommend you hire an electrician. Keep the outlet low but to code so the plugin will clear the DW.
4. You may not have a problem with rat infestation but if you ever do get one it will find a nice hiding place under the DW and eat through the rubber parts to get to food and water. Be sure your DW space is tightly sealed with cauking on the feed through hoses and the kick plate sealing in the front. I had a mouse once that got in the house and that is where he nested and did damage to the wires and pump of the DW.

For me the most annoying thing with the DW install was matching up the pipe diameters. Seems my luck is nothing ever fits without the need for some adapters I have to run to the hardware store to find.

I have GE Profile series appliances. I had the protection plan and it did not pay off. Too many weasel clauses. I discovered that I could order parts on line and they were pretty reasonable. I have replaced the entire electronics package on the DW and key pad when the moisture corroded the board and it's cost was under $100, took me 15 minutes to replace. Excellent on line website for repair manuals, part numbers and ordering.

most dishwashers you can hook up a plug to and simply plug them in (usually under the sink, so it's easy to remove/disconnect)

plumbing isn't that bad if you have a garbage disposal, just pop the dishwasher connection hole and connect the hose.

That's how mine is done.

Made a mistake once and didn't pop the disposal hole. Big mess the first time the dishwasher tried to drain. :D

Made a mistake once and didn't pop the disposal hole. Big mess the first time the dishwasher tried to drain. :D

Yeah, I was about to mention that. The nipple on the side of the disposal is for the hose. It is blocked off and you need to put a screwdriver in there and tap lightly with a hammer. Don't forget to remove the plug from inside the disposal, or it will make big noises when you turn on the disposal.

I would not recommend running this to an electrical plug. Wire it into the dedicated box that comes with the dishwasher. Leave enough slack to be able to pull the dishwasher out. You will be doing maintenance in a few years, probably cleaning the drains.

Finally, be sure to hook the feed to the hot water. Cold just makes it take longer to get up to temp.

What I did to install mine during the kitchen remodel.

- Dishwasher went right beside the sink.
- Drilled an access hole in the sink counter unit in order to be able to run the electric/water/drain to the dishwasher.
- Ran a direct line to under the sink, put in a GFCI outlet in order to plug the dishwasher into. Didn't want a direct connection, in order to make replacing the dishwasher easier in the future if needed. And it gives me a spare outlet if I ever wanted to add a garbage disposal (I'll do that if they ever run sewer down my street).
- Added a second hot water supply under the sink for the Dishwasher, so under the sink I now have 2 hot supplies and 1 cold supply.
- Replaced the P-trap on the sink with one that had a Dishwasher tap.

Installing the dishwasher was then a breeze.
- All I did was run the supply/discharge hoses through the access hole to under the sink.
- Attached a power cord to the Dishwasher and ran it through the access hole.
- Slid the Dishwasher into place.
- Secured the connections (easy to do as they're all under the sink), and everything was a go.

6 months later when the control board went out on the Dishwasher and it was replaced under warranty, all the preparations I made for easy replacement paid off.

Another tip is to use one of the braided flexible supply hoses to run the hot water into the DW.

Its is a lot easier than trying to solder copper in the tight space and makes service much easier if you have to get back in. Remember to tywrap the braided hose out of the way of any electrical hotspots since it could cause shorts and other nasty things.

A little tip learned from bad experience; Never use bleach to sanitize DW, wifey did this and it melted and almost closed the check valve in the drain hose, thus the DW never fully drained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)