Hooking up a used Diret tv box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Hello all I have a question, I just upgraded to HD direct tv with tivo HR21 and I want to get ride of the old Direct tv tivo box and a buddy wants to buy it but what does he have to do to activate it and get it to work for him? He is also a Direct tv subscriber as well.. Cya Slick

Hello all I have a question, I just upgraded to HD direct tv with tivo HR21 and I want to get ride of the old Direct tv tivo box and a buddy wants to buy it but what does he have to do to activate it and get it to work for him? He is also a Direct tv subscriber as well.. Cya Slick
He just needs to call them. Shouldnt be a problem.

The only problem I see is that DirecTV will make him buy a new smart card. I tried to give my mother a HR10, she had an account also with DirecTV. They would not let her activate the HR10 unless she bought a new card. Tried retention and they said the same, so she canceled after being a 10 year customer to teach them a lesson. I supported her decision, DirecTV is quite capable of transferring any IRD/STB to another person, but they just want to be a pain in the neck.

Hooking up a used DirecTv Box

The only problem I see is that DirecTV will make him buy a new smart card. I tried to give my mother a HR10, she had an account also with DirecTV. They would not let her activate the HR10 unless she bought a new card. Tried retention and they said the same, so she canceled after being a 10 year customer to teach them a lesson. I supported her decision, DirecTV is quite capable of transferring any IRD/STB to another person, but they just want to be a pain in the neck.

They don't always make you get a new card. It depends on the CSR you get, the age of the card (if it's too many generations old, you need a new card anyway) and whether or not there are any charges for PPV, etc. due on the box.

I've given my Son and Dtr-in-Law 2 SD DVRs in the past 18 months or so and they had no trouble activating both boxes without buying a new card.

It also helps if both the old box owner and the prospective new one both have clean billing records with D*.

She cancelled over a $25-30 smart card???

She cancelled over a $25-30 smart card???

Actually at the time she was quoted $85. But the point is this, a few months earlier DirecTV allowed transfers without needing the new card. So it was a bad choice in my opinion that DirecTV made the change, it just is a hassle for the customer.

She was only using the HR10 as a SD IRD/DVR, and decided a bundle with Comcast was fine, and that's what she did, since she was wired for it already using it for internet access. So bad choice on retentions part not to just transfer it from one relative to another, since I owned the HR10.

Actually at the time she was quoted $85. But the point is this, a few months earlier DirecTV allowed transfers without needing the new card. So it was a bad choice in my opinion that DirecTV made the change, it just is a hassle for the customer.
That seems a bit high for the card. As a poster pointed out though, that particular card may have been outdated and had to be updated.

That seems a bit high for the card. As a poster pointed out though, that particular card may have been outdated and had to be updated.

It was the latest D2 card so it shouldn't have been an issue, I bought 2 HR20's and gave her my HR10 since she did not have a DVR.

The point is though they are capable of doing it, but make it a hassle. If it were two months earlier it would have been okay. Go figure.

Let me tell you my story. I considered upgrading my standard receiver to a DVR. I asked the CSR if I bought one on E-Bay (there available for as little as $20.00 sometimes) would there be a problem activating it. She said that they would charge me $20 for a new smartcard and that if there were any PPV purchases or anything else owing on it, I'd have to pay it (probably was just a scare tactic to lease directly from D*). I ended up just leasing from D* instead of going thru the whole thing. I figuered it was going to cost me a minimum of $20 for the Ebay DVR receiver, plus probably another 15 or 20 bucks for the EBay seller to send it to me and then another $ 20 for the new smart card.

Let me tell you my story. I considered upgrading my standard receiver to a DVR. I asked the CSR if I bought one on E-Bay (there available for as little as $20.00 sometimes) would there be a problem activating it. She said that they would charge me $20 for a new smartcard and that if there were any PPV purchases or anything else owing on it, I'd have to pay it (probably was just a scare tactic to lease directly from D*). I ended up just leasing from D* instead of going thru the whole thing. I figuered it was going to cost me a minimum of $20 for the Ebay DVR receiver, plus probably another 15 or 20 bucks for the EBay seller to send it to me and then another $ 20 for the new smart card.

Newer receivers don't have issues with PPV from prior owners. Once you do a "reset everything" it clears all PPV's on that receiver. So if DirecTV had reduced the cost of the smart card replacement to remarry a new card to a receiver then so be it. But older receivers cannot be "reset" to wipe PPV.

Newer receivers don't have issues with PPV from prior owners. Once you do a "reset everything" it clears all PPV's on that receiver. So if DirecTV had reduced the cost of the smart card replacement to remarry a new card to a receiver then so be it. But older receivers cannot be "reset" to wipe PPV.
thats not true actually, if the box has money owed linked to it you have to pay it before activation. You can clear it from the box, but dont think D* doesnt keep that info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts