Hooking up an 811?

cyberized

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Beaverton, Oregon
I have "bitten the bullet" and returned to DISH after selling out the "The PIG" this past year - - - I have ordered, not bought, an 811 and I was wondering if someone can tell me do the DISH Installers use the Component connections or the DVI? My set is a Rear Projection CRT.

TKS Michael :confused:

FYI. If you have a Sams Club near by, you can get a DVI cable for about $12 instead of forking out big money for it.

Welcome back, Micheal. If you remember me, I'm in Woodburn and I'd be more than happy to come up the road and give you a hand. I am a very experienced Home Theater Geek and love diddling with this stuff.

U-Bet I remember you - GOOD Neighbor! TKS for the Welcome back BUT I see today that I sure timed this latest turn over WRONG again. Just made a 2 year commit to DISH in order to get NEW Customer Deal - - - Cable shuts off on the 23rd, and DISH tp install on the 28th. NOW, today I read that Direct TV has announced that AUG 1 they will give you an MPEG 4 HD DVR if you commit, as I just did, for 2 years. I had hoped that the HD situation would have leveled out by the time my year was up with Comcast. Had hoped to go to VOOM and then Direct TV - - - - but buying, $299 their HD receiver, pushed me BACK to DISH. My HD DVR with Comcast has really spoiled me - - - - but will have to learn to live without it now I guess. At least I figure since DISH will be the owner of my 811 that they will replace it at no cost to me when they switch to MPEG4. Sure HOPE they hurry up on HD LOCALs - -- - - before Football Season. Loved last year - NFL in HD is GREAT!

TKS Michael ;)

I doubt it's a mistake, wait and see what the PQ is with D* before kicking yourself in the butt over it. So far there are many complaints of HDLite coming from D*. It remains to be seen if D* picks up the Voom channels as well.

Micheal, what's up with your HD locals? Are you not able to receive them OTA?

I wouldn't count on getting HD locals from Dish by September.

And if you can't quite pick up your locals via an antenna now, then try again in July. Many stations will be increasing their power output then.

As to the DVI cable, I picked up a DVI-D to HDMI cable off of eBay for $11, including shipping, to connect my 811 to my TV and it works beautifully.

When they get me setup here with an 811 I honestly don't know even IF I'll try to get Locals OTA. When I was with DISH before I invested in various antennas, cables, time and hassle trying to get my locals OTA and save the Locals charge from DISH. I finally caved in after some years and coughed up for GOOD, hassle free reception from them.
Anyway, I have read here or there, that HD signals are easier to get in HIGH Quality than analog signals - - - I know that some have said that IF you can get a signal - it will be GOOD! I don't know about this. My situation here is I live in an old metal Mobile Home - I can see the towers from my place, they are only about 4 miles away BUT these old mobiles, I guess, make it TOUGH to get a good signal. Before I was trying Inside and outside antennas at same time and having to constantly adjust etc. Have read great things about that Silver Sensor A. - - - - but don't know how it would do in a metal Mobile - - have a pretty good idea though that it would be a waste of moolaa. I figure I will probably have to live w/o Local HD until DISH provides it for us - - - - UNLESS one of you fellas out there KNOW of an antenna that might work in my situation that would be COOL!

TKS Michael :confused:

Micheal, if you can see the towers from your place, you can use a coathanger and get a fabulous picture. It is true that with digital OTA, the picture is either excellent or not there. There is a small transition window where the picture will pixelate and breakup prior to losing the signal, but if you can get even a snowy analog, chances are you will receive a pristinge digital. Don't give up yet, give it a shot, it is well worth it. Once you see the difference between CSI via Dish locals and OTA HD, you will not go back. Also, you can get both OPB feeds, the national PBS feed is HD on 10-1 and the local OPB SD is on 10-2 and there are 4 PAX stations if you are at all interested in them.

GREAT guys! Sounds like it will definitely be worth another shot - BUT - being inside a metal mobile home - do you think that the Silver Sensor would still work? OR would I have to invest an outside HD Antenna? I used to get most stations, some not so good, with adjustments inside here with rabbit ears, amped --- so I was getting signal just not as good as one would want.

TKS Michael

I live 12 miles from the local towers, but just behind a hill between me and them. I tried a Silver Sensor and it fared poorly. But then I threw a small amp on it and could then pick up everything, with the signal in the 80s. No need to go with an outdoor at all.

Thanks alot ALL! It is sounding very promising - this would be FABULOUS to be able to get most if not all of my Locals in HD. Especially ABC, CBS, and FOX for Football Season. With our local Comcast CH6 will NOT give Comcast their HD signal so this past footbabll season had to really "rough" it when I watched NFL on 6 - HeeHee!

Looking forward to the new adventure. I sure wish DISH would add NFL Network though.

TKS Michael

Micheal, the only channel we have locally that is VHF is PAX, all others (for the time being) are UHF. PAX is actually broadcasting VHF channel 4 but maps out as digital channel 22. All the digitals are assigned a UHF channel but come out as their parent VHF channel assignment in the guide. It is the PSIP data in the digital stream that the stb reads to assign the channel numbers.

Darrell - I ordered a Zenith Silver Sensor yesterday hope it gets here before my 811 install on the 28th if not before.
Do you get CBS HD out of LA off your 61.5 feed? Hope so.

Laters - Michael ;)

Micheal, we can't get CBS HD from Dish since we can get them locally. You have to live out in Podunk or be unable to receive a signal and get a waiver from the local broadcasters, none of which we qualify for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)