Hooking up Directv myself

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wyatt88

Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
So here is my situation. I recently had my service moved to a new apt. Well after being in the apt for a month, I had to move out because the neighbor had a heavy smoking habit and it was getting into my apt. I moved to a apt in the same building just 1 story up. All I need changed is the connection from my old apt to my new one.
I have called directv and the local service provider. The earliest they can get to it is next week, plus they are going to charge me for something that should take the tech about 10 mins to do.

What do I need to know before I get in the cable box (which I have access to thanks to a friend of mine) and move the connection? Is there a certain way I have to hook it up? Does the right connection have to be in the right room etc....?

Can anyone help?

If you know which cable from satellite dish to the cable box, which most make the connection to your unit, dis-connect from the cable box and find the one to your new unit and re-connect it from there, thats all you do. 99% you will see a label or marker write the unit number attached to the cable.

I've done that....I hooked up the 4 cables coming from the dish to the connector and then took the 3 cables coming from my apt and hooked them up.

However when I turn on the DTV box it sits at rec sat 0% for like 20 to 30 mins. So something isnt hooked up corectly... right?

RIGHT pay for the service call before you screw up the cable distribution in the complex and get charged for those repairs.

I've done that....I hooked up the 4 cables coming from the dish to the connector and then took the 3 cables coming from my apt and hooked them up.

However when I turn on the DTV box it sits at rec sat 0% for like 20 to 30 mins. So something isnt hooked up corectly... right?
Four and Three thats something is missing here.
What kind of dish you has and how many receiver you has.
Sounds you need a switch or something.
Most apartment or condo that only has two cable to the unit and you said you has three cable from the apartment, thats weir.

And you may connected to the wrong cable.

Hey he is the smart one.....Why pay for a tech to come out and do it right the first time. Not to mention self installs or moves void the warranty. Heck The Smart One will be callin
g for a TC anytime soon. Not to mention the second thing the Cable Box is the property of the Cable Company....Have fun Smart One.......10min. of a tech's time is nothing compared to replacing equipment because you screwed up. Also do you not pay the DR. for his 10min when you got to the office. YOUR PAYING FOR WHAT WE KNOW NOT HOW LONG WE ARE THERE....

Hey he is the smart one.....Why pay for a tech to come out and do it right the first time. Not to mention self installs or moves void the warranty. Heck The Smart One will be callin
g for a TC anytime soon. Not to mention the second thing the Cable Box is the property of the Cable Company....Have fun Smart One.......10min. of a tech's time is nothing compared to replacing equipment because you screwed up. Also do you not pay the DR. for his 10min when you got to the office. YOUR PAYING FOR WHAT WE KNOW NOT HOW LONG WE ARE THERE....

Actually, the cable demarcation box belongs to the property owner. We've fought this battle with a couple of local cable co's that refused to open the locked box so that a MDU resident could be switched to satellite service. The cable company owns the stuff up to the demarcation box.

I have set up plenty of dishes, mine and others, it does NOT void any Warranty.
Also as Iwc said, the box (connecting point) does NOT belong to the cable company, it belongs to the owner.
Oh Smart One :rolleyes:

Jimbo

Actually, the cable demarcation box belongs to the property owner. We've fought this battle with a couple of local cable co's that refused to open the locked box so that a MDU resident could be switched to satellite service. The cable company owns the stuff up to the demarcation box.

Now that I did not know. What about the cabling inside the the demarc? I'm assuming then that the Cable Co owns the main feed, but all the lead-ins for the building belong to the prop owner? Shouldn't the prop owner have access to it then like they have access to the customer side of a telephone demarc? COMCAST would throw a fit if I went to another apartment and demanded they open their locked demarc for me LOLZ. The plastic ones are easy to get in to, the big metal ones with the keyed locked are a pain though. Had one earlier today. Thanks for that bit of info ^^

DITTO THAT! I fought a local cable co on a hose I bought and wanted it unlocked for my use and they threw a hissy. My bolt cutter and my own lock solved that equation.

Now that I did not know. What about the cabling inside the the demarc? I'm assuming then that the Cable Co owns the main feed, but all the lead-ins for the building belong to the prop owner? Shouldn't the prop owner have access to it then like they have access to the customer side of a telephone demarc? COMCAST would throw a fit if I went to another apartment and demanded they open their locked demarc for me LOLZ. The plastic ones are easy to get in to, the big metal ones with the keyed locked are a pain though. Had one earlier today. Thanks for that bit of info ^^

They own the cable up to the point that it enters the box...anything inside there belongs to the property owner.

I actually got to drill one of their boxes because they refused to open it and the property owner asked me to drill it out for him because he no longer wanted it locked by them. :D

After that, I never had a problem getting them to come out and unlock the box for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)