Hooking up my Onkyo receiver to my HR-34.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keekz804

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Earth
Hi guys, making this thread as I'm a little lost at how to do this. I wanted to know what my options are to hook up my HR34 to my Onkyo AVR. I had Comcast and with that I'd easily get 5.0 Dolby sound via digital optical in but these hr34's don't have that input.

Which wire(s) do I need to get surround sound? I have attached an image of the back of my receiver its up to 7.1 and HDMI.

Attachments

• image-4267297073.jpg
    image-4267297073.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 194
agree with keekz.. nowadayz the easiest way is hdmi in, then the single hdmi out to the tv.
You just switch the input setting on the onkyo if you need to change from directv to blu-ray or what not

I appreciate the response guys, my fault forgot to state that I do know of that way. I want to stay the way as is now though with my HR34 direct to my TV that way I can watch w/ out surround sound as well. I basically want to know how can I connect my audio separately so I can fire up my SS whenever I choose to?

This, you will need another HDMI cable to do it this way.

^See my post above, I wouldn't be able to watch cable/Directv without having my Onkyo AVR turned on though right? I don't want to HAVE to have my receiver powered on at all times. I dont see coax/optical on the back of my hr but do see this orange colored audio out what connection is this?

Last edited:
You have digital coax on the A/V receiver so why not use that? Or you can use the digital coax output from the HR34 and then a coax to optical converter, if you want to use optical input on the A/V receiver.

Does your Onkyo have HDMI passthrough? That allows the signals to pass without the unit being on.

Does your Onkyo have HDMI passthrough? That allows the signals to pass without the unit being on.
Hi, no unfortunately it doesn't if I have the HDMI into my receiver I'll need it powered on in order to watch TV. I want to like I said have my audio separate if possible so I can use surround sound as well as my normal TV speakers. I was looking at the connections (see pics) would it be as simple as getting a cable like this to achieve that?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2681&seq=1&format=2

The left is my receiver and right is the HR34 the connections to me look like an old RCA jack =\

Attachments

• image-2784521443.jpg
    image-2784521443.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 164
  • image-1061471359.jpg
    image-1061471359.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 153
Your Onkyo has HDMI inputs, so I would use those for connecting the HR34 to the Onkyo and use the regular white/red outputs for audio and component cables for video from the HR34 to your television. Since all outputs work simultaneously on the HR34, you can get sound to your tv either way.

IMHO you should use the optical audio connection between your HR34 and the A/V receiver (the connections you show on your pics, and the cable from monoprice). And HDMI from the HR34 to the TV.

IMHO you should use the optical audio connection between your HR34 and the A/V receiver (the connections you show on your pics, and the cable from monoprice). And HDMI from the HR34 to the TV.
Great, yea thought it would work just wanted to make sure. I got a bunch of Optical's lying around but never dealt with Coax.

@raoul I think I'll go this other route will deal with less wires and hopefully still achieve Dolby sound.

Thanks guys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)