Hooking up PS3 to non HD TV

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Well I've so far only had my PS3 hooked up to my HD projector through a HDMI cable and used the optical output for the audio to connect it to my receiver. Well I took it to a friends house today and took the av cable with the red white and blue rca connectors. Well when I plugged it it nothing sound or videowise will come up on the screen. When you turn the main power switch on the back on and off you can see the screen change sort of like it does when you turn stuff on and off it just won't load anything after you turn it on or off. Will the PS3's not work with non hd tv's? Or do you have to change the output settings to a non hd tv and being as I don't have a HDTV to hook it up to first right now I can't do that?

Before you left your house, did you go into PS3 settings and tell it to use the AV and not the HDMI? If not, that is your problem.

And FYI, you can hold down the power button until it beeps, and it will go into its default setting.

Nope I didn't think to do that. Dammit I guess I won't be playing any games for a while as no one here has a HDTV and I don't have a HDMI cable with me either. Oh well. I think Sony should make it automatically output on both. That would be a nice feature.

Nope I didn't think to do that. Dammit I guess I won't be playing any games for a while as no one here has a HDTV and I don't have a HDMI cable with me either. Oh well. I think Sony should make it automatically output on both. That would be a nice feature.

Try holdiong down the power button till it beeps, then try your friends TV again.

Thanks that worked. Now when I hook it back up to my projector will I have to set it for the dvi before I unplug the RCA's or will it work immediately?

I had fun playing it tonight. We rented Tiger Woods 07 and played agaisnt each other. Pretty fun. It reminded me of the olden days when we used to play Sega Genesis and sometimes N64 but more the Sega or even original NES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)