Hope for a Tivo-DIRECTV HD DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why would it record something on a channel I don't get anyway?
Many, if not most, expect their DVR to find titles and artists for them by name and/or keyword (007, bikini, etc.). To do this, CIG must be working right. DIRECTV has devoted effort to working this out with respect to sports programming, but it still doesn't work right with all programming as the receiver doesn't seem to be sure if a channel is available or not until it actually tries to tune the channel at record time.

For those who manually pick out shows, this isn't an issue, but manually picking out shows and having them record every week is something you can do with a VCR. See more at Series Link.

There are several others, I just cannot think of them from the top of my head right now.
You asked for one, so I didn't offer a laundry list. TiVotees (of which I'm not a member), could come up with a much larger list of basic features that they feel are not right.

I'm curious about your mention of the OTA tuner. Does it do a better job of tuning, or does it integrate into the DVR better?

?

I totally agree let's discuss that.TIVO basically had DirecTV by the nads.Any feature that DirecTV wanted Tivo could either say yes we can do that but it will cost you this much and it will be ready when we say it is.

I disagree with you. DirecTV crippled the Series 2 DirecTiVo. No USB support, MRV, media sharing and no TiVo to go. Luckily DirecTiVos based on the Series 2 are still TiVos at heart and made it easy to modify it to get some of the features that the stand alone Series 2 TiVos had out of the box and made it easier to add/replace hard drives for more recording room.

I do like my HR20-700 and thanks to this forum I am enjoying it more.

Many, if not most, expect their DVR to find titles and artists for them by name and/or keyword (007, bikini, etc.). To do this, CIG must be working right. DIRECTV has devoted effort to working this out with respect to sports programming, but it still doesn't work right with all programming as the receiver doesn't seem to be sure if a channel is available or not until it actually tries to tune the channel at record time.

For those who manually pick out shows, this isn't an issue, but manually picking out shows and having them record every week is something you can do with a VCR. See more at Series Link.
I guess that would be an issue then, but I have never used this feature so I did not know anything about it. I make sure my season pass or to do list has the proper channel ahead of time, since many programs are on more than one channel and there are also HD and SD channels (not an issue with my TiVO though).

Besides, this again is a software reliability issue, of which has not been an issue with me on my HR20. I am talking more about the platform, navigation, and ease of use. TiVO is just a bigger pain, has a bigger learning curve, and requires much more navigation through folders. It also has fewer features.

Agreed.:up:up:up

There is only one feature that I miss from the TIVO and that is the dual buffers. I really wish Directv would do this with their DVR's.

So, if I switch from one tuner to the othe , direct dvr's don't automatcally buffer programming from BOTH tuners? I was thinking the " records 90 minutes live" feature was an upgrade over Tivo's 30 minutes.

So, if I switch from one tuner to the othe , direct dvr's don't automatcally buffer programming from BOTH tuners? I was thinking the " records 90 minutes live" feature was an upgrade over Tivo's 30 minutes.

Unless you are recording on both channels, there use of 2 tuners is transparent and not able to be leveraged for anything like using both live buffers simultaneously.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)