Hope for SPEED HD freaks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I really, really wish they would add Speed HD. That's the only thing holding me back from going to HD Essentials. :(

Now and then I have e-mailed Dish and whined about no HD on Speed (Just the usual canned answers)

I have no understanding of all the inside relationship/negotiation issues but looking at Charlie's business style, I think his approach is to try to stay competitive by maintaining a pricing edge. He always talks about how he negotiates hard for customer cost benefit. So, some deals don't come very fast or at all. If you don't have certain things in your package, then it is easier to keep it cheaper than the competition (can work if the customer doesn't care that much about what is missing). I think he is always balancing and guessing consumer demand for programming vs keeping a competitive edge in pricing.

It was way better than SPEED but thinking of bonehead things like no SPEED HD.....how the hell is there no F1 at Indy
I mean who dropped that ball?

It was way better than SPEED but thinking of bonehead things like no SPEED HD.....how the hell is there no F1 at Indy
I mean who dropped that ball?

F1 ( in the person pf Bernie Ecclestone) wanted more money than Tony George (who runs IMS) wanted to shell out.

Negotiations have picked up for next year. Apparently the price came down a little but not enough. If IMS gets a title sponsor for the race, they could do it.

Honda or a close Honda Partner (like Motorola) might be the title sponsor, since it supplies engines for the IndyCar series and has a pretty good relationship with IMS.

The other idea at the moment is that Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes (which owns McLaren) and Ferrari would forgo their "travel fees" for Indy (about $1 million each) and that would lower the price of the event enough for IMS to at least break even.

By all rights, something should be done soon. For Honda, BMW and Toyota, the US is their most profitable market (more so even than Japan). And Honda will have a Car plant in Indiana next year. For Mercedes and Ferrari it's right up there.

The issue is that Bernie wants the city of Indianapolis, the state of Indiana, and/or the federal government for the USA to pay EXTRA money.

Since India and all of these other places do it, why shouldn't the USA? I'm very proud of IMS for not standing for it, saying that unless they can get a rate that allows IMS to do it 100% on their own and not go into the red for it, they won't do it.

In these days where cities pay for new football / baseball / basketball playhouses all the time because the team wants more VIP suites, it is really nice to see a family-owned sports business that does not hold the city hostage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)