Hoping my DirecTV guy is wrong. Says we can't get HD...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cut trees man. No tech is going to go through all that just for upgrade money.

Hell, no tech is going through all that for install money either. LOL
(except for maybe a retail tech who can charge you tons extra for the custom work)

Anyone that you can get to deliver it for will charge you through the nose unless you can bring the cable run to under 150' (125' for swm) of total length in wire and have it on the ground or on your roof. If that is not a possibility don't even bother calling D* for the upgrade as in house and D* techs are no equipped for those types of installs nor are the allowed to do them.

Also, if you do go the custom route, don't ever expect to get D* to service it because any tech that comes out won't be allowed to touch it.
For systems like that we are strictly prohibited to service them because future problems then becomes ours (some will fix it but cancel the work order which means they don't get paid which is usually what I do when I can).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hell, no tech is going through all that for install money either. LOL
(except for maybe a retail tech who can charge you tons extra for the custom work)

Anyone that you can get to deliver it for will charge you through the nose unless you can bring the cable run to under 150' (125' for swm) of total length in wire and have it on the ground or on your roof. If that is not a possibility don't even bother calling D* for the upgrade as in house and D* techs are no equipped for those types of installs nor are the allowed to do them.

Also, if you do go the custom route, don't ever expect to get D* to service it because any tech that comes out won't be allowed to touch it.
For systems like that we are strictly prohibited to service them because future problems then becomes ours (some will fix it but cancel the work order which means they don't get paid which is usually what I do when I can).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

You guys have any idea that the normal sub has no idea that you get paid different for a install vs an upgrade ....
They don't care, all they want is thier service or thier upgrade done...
It's nice for them all to know that seeing the Upgrade doesn't pay as well that they have a better chance of getting blown off or a half correct job because of it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You might consider a little basic forestry,

From what has been said you are in possession of some very valuable lumber stock. Tree buyers would love to come in and quote on paying you for your logs. Your state forestry agent (each state is different on this) can guide you but it sounds like your property is overgrown. In "cruising" a wood lot they start you out with a twenty foot chain...select what you like and remove the rest. Then you go to a fifty foot chain for mature trees...like what you have. Pick what you like, select long lived, strong trees in good positions.

Then go to dishpointer.com and enter your address.....you will be able to see a LOS for your address and zipcode...NJ is about 230 degrees SW. You can also have a cool sat view of your property. During the tree removal trim more trees along the LOS. The phone app will show you spots on your "tree wall" that you are not ready to use.

This is a big project way beyond trimming limbs but you can net real cash, make your property more comfortable and have HD. The trick is getting the logs out without destroying your house and or neighbor stuff. Also, you want the trees out and away from their "drop zone" where they will fall if blown over. After trimming the trees to fifty foot centers if you trim them up and remove limbs to thirty five feet you can have a lawn....at twenty feet you will have a shade garden.

As mentioned the alternative is to cut trees and erect a tower $$$$$.

Don't share your project with tree huggers or you will have limbs in your window some day....State Forestry Department!

Joe

Last edited:
You guys have any idea that the normal sub has no idea that you get paid different for a install vs an upgrade ....
They don't care, all they want is thier service or thier upgrade done...
It's nice for them all to know that seeing the Upgrade doesn't pay as well that they have a better chance of getting blown off or a half correct job because of it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Never said it was right, but it is what it is.

I mean would you spend what is very possibly 3-5 hours on a job that you would lose money to complete only to probably get back charged for the job because it is a completely unapproved mounting method?

Blame D*, not the sub as they have pretty much cut out every form of custom labor.

That being said, I would not do the job if it was an install because mounting to a tree is a major no no in my world.
First off, I don't think it will be reliable and I am not going to install something that I think will be an absolute service nightmare for the customer.
Next, if it was QC'ed I would get back charged for the install and possibly lose my tech ID.
Last, if the customer fails to live out his contract due to LOS issues or improper mounting like this, my company could get a rather substantial back charge I forget the exact amount but I is in the thousands.

Get online, call all the local retailers in your area.

As a dealer I would come to your location and give you a free site survey.

Where are you located?

Never said it was right, but it is what it is.

I mean would you spend what is very possibly 3-5 hours on a job that you would lose money to complete only to probably get back charged for the job because it is a completely unapproved mounting method?

Blame D*, not the sub as they have pretty much cut out every form of custom labor.

That being said, I would not do the job if it was an install because mounting to a tree is a major no no in my world.
First off, I don't think it will be reliable and I am not going to install something that I think will be an absolute service nightmare for the customer.
Next, if it was QC'ed I would get back charged for the install and possibly lose my tech ID.
Last, if the customer fails to live out his contract due to LOS issues or improper mounting like this, my company could get a rather substantial back charge I forget the exact amount but I is in the thousands.

Grasping for straws here aren't we !

Just admit it, a difficult job you'll walk away from ....

If I were the sub and wanted the service, I definitely would hope you didn't show up.

We already KNOW the sub HAS LOS, he's had service for years.
Changing to HD from SD, is a change of dish/LNB.
As you already know, if he can get SD, seeing the HD is on the 99 and 103, you KNOW he should be able to get HD.

So, outside of the fact the job is "Outside of the Box", because it's hanging on a 100 year old Oak tree thats not gonna MOVE at ALL at the 20 FT point .....

This is why subs are forced to do thier OWN work, which MANY do a very good job, btw.

IF I were the sub, I would tell D* to supply the equipment to him, sign off on it and put the stuff up.
Remember, he's already had service working there for a long time without issue.

I would have also by this time spoke with the subs Boss and discussed the situation .... not EVERY job you do is in a Classroom.
Go out in the REAL world and do the Job.

Jimbo,
It seems things are going a little different from what you think. Within the HSP world the techs are paralyzed by what can be stated on a WO and reported to a dispatcher. Everything is on a "schedule." with fixed rates. The wise tech does walk away from difficult work. But first they must come up with some pretext for doing so. In their world not only is initiative and skill building discouraged, failures are penalized and successes are ignored. Why attempt anything that is a little out of the box?

As you noticed....this subscriber has the 101 LOS............the 99 & 103 are on either side and could well be hit without even pruning. It is the tree mount that makes them wet their pants.
The QC man will not be happy.
Joe

Last edited:
Grasping for straws here aren't we !

Just admit it, a difficult job you'll walk away from ....

If I were the sub and wanted the service, I definitely would hope you didn't show up.

Lol, straw grasping here, but it obvious you like picking fights with me.

How about one day you go in to work and pay your employer for aloowing you to make him money and then we can continue this conversation.

As far as walking away from difficult jobs, no, in fact I am often the go to guy when others have blown the work off and quite enjoy them.
However, I am just not in to paying somebody else for my services. It is quite obvious that either you have no idea what would be involved in this job, no idea what little pay would be made, or the fact that a tree mount if QC'ed would involve a back charge (for me, the entire amount made if I didn't fix it and in this case there would be no fixing).

We already KNOW the sub HAS LOS, he's had service for years.
Changing to HD from SD, is a change of dish/LNB.
As you already know, if he can get SD, seeing the HD is on the 99 and 103, you KNOW he should be able to get HD.

So, outside of the fact the job is "Outside of the Box", because it's hanging on a 100 year old Oak tree thats not gonna MOVE at ALL at the 20 FT point .....

This further shows me you do not know anything about what the job involves nor have you read much of anything in this post.

First off, the OP already stated that the standard dish is 35 feet up the tree and the installer would have put it higher if it was not for the tree swaying.
Second we already know if it is just clearing the trees it will probably have to go higher as one of the HD satellites comes in at a lower elevation.
Third we know that HD dish is much more sensitive then the standard.
Fourth we know no sub is allowed to do a tree mount.

It isn't a matter of thinking outside the box, it is a matter of giving proper service to a customer and 40+ feet up a tree will not do that.

It is great that you will not ever let me on your property to do work, in fact I am quite appreciative that you will not because if you came on my property trying to mount a dish in a tree, I would run you off.

This is why subs are forced to do thier OWN work, which MANY do a very good job, btw.

IF I were the sub, I would tell D* to supply the equipment to him, sign off on it and put the stuff up.
Remember, he's already had service working there for a long time without issue.

I would have also by this time spoke with the subs Boss and discussed the situation .... not EVERY job you do is in a Classroom.
Go out in the REAL world and do the Job.

Well, he is welcome to buy all the equipment he needs on ebay but D* won't give it to him.

I would also love somebody "discussing" this with my supervisors.
I would give them every number to the top as every single one of them would say "no way"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)