Hopper 1s

blatimer1983

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Mississippi
Are any Hopper 1s still being installed for new customers these days? I heard Hopper 1 can’t take the new CUI very well, is this true? Also, has anyone had any issues with Hopper 1s?

Are any Hopper 1s still being installed for new customers these days? I heard Hopper 1 can’t take the new CUI very well, is this true? Also, has anyone had any issues with Hopper 1s?
No, original Hopper is not being installed, AFAIK. New customers will get the HWS, unless they choose to upgrade to Hopper 3. I predict, H3 will become the default install by sometime next year. The new CUI pretty much proved to be too much for the original. The HWS has not fared much better.

No, original Hopper is not being installed, AFAIK. New customers will get the HWS, unless they choose to upgrade to Hopper 3. I predict, H3 will become the default install by sometime next year. The new CUI pretty much proved to be too much for the original. The HWS has not fared much better.

Unfortunately, it is being installed still. Primarily to Flex customers (bad credit) and it's a major issue. I've seen some DHA and DIU accounts with H2K on the work order, but CSC will modify that to a H/WS. Flex customers can only pay $50-$100 to upgrade to H/WS (Although I HAVE been successful getting a few to do it for free by convincing them we don't carry H2K's anymore. Fortunately, Joey 2 works with the H2K, so that's a little better but you're correct, the CUI bogs this relic down to the point it's frustrating to use. Setting the appearance to Classic helps a little bit.

A lot of new connects are creating trouble calls by complaining about the lagginess. The H/WS is better but not like a H3. The only proactive steps I've been able to take are to modify all Joey 1 installs to Joey 2, instead, which are much better on a H/WS than a Joey 1

Reactions: TheKrell
Unfortunately, it is being installed still. Primarily to Flex customers (bad credit) and it's a major issue.
Would you like to clarify (or modify) that comment, especially for us Flex people ?

He did clarify/modify. He was referring to the Flex customers, pay-as-you-go (those who can't get a regular contract due to bad credit), not the customers with the Flex Pack.

Dish really should have chosen better terminology for these two distinct entities.

FWIW: While I personally do not have bad credit any more, I don't consider people who have poor credit ratings to be worthy of vilification, and I do not think credit ratings say anything about the actual people. It is too easy in this world to end up in a bad place where you have to make hard decisions which negatively affect your credit. I know plenty of great people who have ended up bankrupt or otherwise impaired when it comes to credit-worthiness.

I understand the reasons why a company like Dish might not want to take a big risk on them as well. Poor credit scores are an unfortunate thing and don't necessarily say anything about the people affected by them.

To add to that clarification, I in no way was equating bad credit with bad people.

But I will say the opposite. I know plenty of people who are just plain dumb (my tenant is one of them), which gets them into bad financial distress.

Reactions: HipKat
To add to that clarification, I in no way was equating bad credit with bad people.

But I will say the opposite. I know plenty of people who are just plain dumb (my tenant is one of them), which gets them into bad financial distress.

Yeah, I wasn't saying you were, nor that there aren't people who deserve it. I just do not think we should automatically think less of people based on it, and I have seen some comments around that suggest some people do. Also, I will add that our schools, by and large, do not teach kids how credit works, or how to manage finances any more. It is assumed they will figure it out on their own. YMMV of course.

Reactions: HipKat
He did clarify/modify. He was referring to the Flex customers, pay-as-you-go (those who can't get a regular contract due to bad credit), not the customers with the Flex Pack.

Dish really should have chosen better terminology for these two distinct entities.

IMHO Dish over uses 'Flex' and 'Sling'. It's way too confusing for most regular folks.