Hopper 2 dreaming.....

shadowfrom88

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 22, 2013
Sunny Hills, FL
What would you want in the second version of the Hopper? How about access to all the streaming apps, such as, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, etc? The H2 would have full search integration with not only shows available through Dish but also the streaming apps......and a keyboard remote, a la Tivo. Full OTA with local channels and subchannel listing without the OTA dongle. Guide data that goes out a full month instead of 9 days. 1080p upscaling on all standard def channels and true 1080p on HDs.............hmmm, what else would you want???

true 1080p will not happen unless dish launches a fleet of new birds or drastically cut the amount of channels they carry in their line ups.
dish doesnt have the infrastructure to support 1080p hd due to the bandwidth that 1080p requires to be transmitted.

All the things you mentioned would be possible in the current two hoppers, minus the OTA, if they had the infrastructure and contracts to do as such. Also considering Charlie is starting his OTT service, I really cannot think he would want to add his competitors into his STBs. Maybe the streaming from the channels themselves, but not Netflix, or HULU.

What do I dream my next car I buy will have? Best engine ever, all leather seats, battery powered, and self charging, a kitchen, self driving, and I hope it can fly. I love dreaming.

HEVC would support 1080p in today's bandwidth.
Why not just make an upconverted mode of 1080p in the hopper itself? A good upscaler inside would do the same thing. I bought a Phillips hdtv for my Dad's birthday and it has an upscaled mode that make the picture looks like 1080p. Made the DISH picture look great.

Why not just make an upconverted mode of 1080p in the hopper itself? A good upscaler inside would do the same thing. I bought a Phillips hdtv for my Dad's birthday and it has an upscaled mode that make the picture looks like 1080p. Made the DISH picture look great.
All current TV's upscale to 1080p. Your Dad's is no different. Do you not have one? And, BTW, looks NO better than 720p.

1080p60 would be twice the frame rate of 1080i. At least.

And yes, BTW, to my knowledge all flat panel (non-CRT) displays operate in progressive mode natively.

Current movies are 1080p24 (Blu-Ray, etc.), which actually has a slightly LOWER bitrate than 1080i30 which is the current standard for OTA 1080 broadcasts.

1080i30 was chosen to sync with older CRT TVs that were interlace scanners, but now all new TVs are either 720p (smaller screens) or 1080p for larger screens all progressive scan because they are digital and old CRTs were analog.

Now the problem is all those TV stations with all that 1080i equipment, not wanting to convert to 1080p and all those 1080i TVs that cannot decode 1080p OTA.

All current TV's upscale to 1080p. Your Dad's is no different. Do you not have one? And, BTW, looks NO better than 720p.
My tv does 1080p but only when there is 1080p content. So I use my older google revue unit to put out 1080p continuously. Makes the picture look great. My dad had an actual upscale mode that you could turn on and it made the DISH picture look really cleaned up and a very good picture.

How about fixing all of the bugs and user unfriendly issues with the current Hopper? That would be my dream Hopper. So when is that big update coming?

Reactions: Hall
Best thing about the current Hopper is the use of one tuner to record 4 streams simultaneously.

Best thing about the next Hopper would be to allow the user to use another tuner to record their choice of several TP groups , maybe even have the ability to switch groups and have maybe 10 or more virtual tuners (4 HD locals + 6 or more other channels off another TP).

Maybe allow users to configure all tuners to record groups instead of one channel at a time.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Best thing about the next Hopper would be to allow the user to use another tuner to record their choice of several TP groups
I'm not sure that would require a new piece of hardware. I suspect it could be done by software alone. In fact, they could adapt it to older receivers (though there's little sense in doing that from a business standpoint).

Reactions: ChadT41
I had to reread that, my first understanding was you saying that tuners are not hardware. After rereading it, that would be a wrong conclusion. You're more talking about expanding PT to a Tx of choice. Is that correct?

Tune to channel 105 (USA), which is on 119' TP7. Scyfy (122), HDMovies (130), TNT (138), ESPN (140), CBS SN (158), AXS (167), and WGN (239) are on the same satellite/transponder. Locals, i.e. PTAT-enabled channels, are set up exactly like this (on purpose). Tell me why if you tuned to any one of those channels, the "Tuners in use" screen couldn't offer or suggest to you that you can record programming on any of those channels (and present the channels choices in a list) ? The shared tuner lists ALL of your locals similarly and it does not have to be during primetime hours for it to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts