Hopper 2000 to Hopper 3 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DougD23

Original poster
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
I have the original hopper/hopper 2000 that I have had since joining Dish in 2012. I originally had two joeys, but changed to a super joey and joey configuration a few years ago. I recently decided to upgrade to the hopper 3 and have an appointment scheduled with a technician to install.

I have been getting mixed answers to my questions with reps from Dish and figured I would ask here as I was told this was the best place on the internet. I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any help.

Will I be able to transfer my recordings from my hopper 2000 to the hopper 3? I have been told no by every dish representative I have spoken to or chatted with due to there being a different UI?. I currently have a WD My Book 2 TB EHD I purchased a few weeks ago that I could use. I have read on the internet I just need to transfer them to the external hard drive or I can via an ethernet cable when the tech is here. I also have read about there being issues with the recordings not playing due to the different UI as well.

Also, will I be able to transfer my timers or anything else(settings,etc) from my old hopper to the Hopper 3? Every dish rep I have spoken to or chatted with has told me I can't do this either, although a friend has told me I can.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I can only speak from my own experience: when I replaced my HWS and H2K with the new H3 back in February, I backed up recordings that I really wanted to a 2TB external drive. I also backed up my timers and settings to my old 40.0 remote. Settings and timers restored without incident and recordings are viewable without problems on the new equipment. If you want to keep your old remote(s), make sure you insist on it as many installers will try to retrieve them before leaving the premises. I am using both the old and new remotes myself - they each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I have the original hopper/hopper 2000 that I have had since joining Dish in 2012. I originally had two joeys, but changed to a super joey and joey configuration a few years ago. I recently decided to upgrade to the hopper 3 and have an appointment scheduled with a technician to install.

I have been getting mixed answers to my questions with reps from Dish and figured I would ask here as I was told this was the best place on the internet. I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any help.

Will I be able to transfer my recordings from my hopper 2000 to the hopper 3? I have been told no by every dish representative I have spoken to or chatted with due to there being a different UI?. I currently have a WD My Book 2 TB EHD I purchased a few weeks ago that I could use. I have read on the internet I just need to transfer them to the external hard drive or I can via an ethernet cable when the tech is here. I also have read about there being issues with the recordings not playing due to the different UI as well.

Also, will I be able to transfer my timers or anything else(settings,etc) from my old hopper to the Hopper 3? Every dish rep I have spoken to or chatted with has told me I can't do this either, although a friend has told me I can.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated :)
The ehd is the way to go but if you want to use ethernet you have to have the CUI for it to work.

When they try to take the remote ask them to transfer your timers over first, they won't bring it up again. :)

Reactions: DougD23
Thanks for the replies so far. How fast of transfer speeds should I be getting on my hopper 2k to ehd transfer?

How do I back up my settings/timers and then restore them?

I trust when you say the Hopper2000, it's the original pre-Hopper with Sling (HwS)? If so it will never get the "Carbon" UI that is required to be on both units to do a unit to unit transfer. The only way is via an External Hard Drive.

Thanks for the replies so far. How fast of transfer speeds should I be getting on my hopper 2k to ehd transfer?
Guessing about 1.5 GB per hour of HD and 60 MB/s for usb 2 i'd say about 30 seconds per hour of HD content. So 500 hours could take over 4 hours.

Reactions: DougD23
Guessing about 1.5 GB per hour of HD and 60 MB/s for usb 2 i'd say about 30 seconds per hour of HD content. So 500 hours could take over 4 hours.

I am definitely not getting transfer speeds close to that. On a two hour HD it is taking around 15 minutes. Shouldn't I be getting speeds closer to what you said?

I am definitely not getting transfer speeds close to that. On a two hour HD it is taking around 15 minutes. Shouldn't I be getting speeds closer to what you said?
I assumed 2.0 usb on hopper and wd. I'd have to confirm that first.

Those that have used the Ethernet cable approach have reported it was slower than to and from an EHD.

What you are seeing is about what I'd expect. H3 is maybe twice as fast, but I've seen transfer times vary by 50% or more on the same content. USB 3.0 should be faster than USB 2.0 but in my experience it makes NO DIFFERENCE in transfer speed.

Plan on transfers taking a long time so get started ASAP.

As others have mentioned here, attempting to transfer all recordings sometimes doesn't work, so select smaller blocks and verify all recordings actually got moved.

My Hopper with Sling also has only USB 2.0, but has a faster processor than Hopper 2000. Transfers to a WD MyBook EHD typically take about 4 or 5 minutes per HD hour.

Just for future readers I did a 1 hour hd transfer on a H3 (not via usb 3) and it took 2 minutes so perhaps encryption for external storage is slowing stuff down quit a bit. Expect older equipment to be 2 or 3 times as long.

I did a 2 1/2 hour HD transfer of an HBO program last night from my H3 to my WD Elements EHD and it took about 15 minutes. The size of the file makes a difference rather than just the length of program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)