Hopper 3 4k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tcat007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Austin
Just got my h3 yesterday. What to expect with 4k content? I tried Netflix (4k shows), but my ef9500 shows 1080. I know YouTube doesn't support 4k within the hopper app, but I thought Netflix did. It's fine on the TV app. Any other Dish content?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Also if you have your Hopper 3 hooked to your Surround Sound System, that system might not support the 4K and you may have to hook the Hopper 3 directly to your 4K TV.

It does play 4k on the TV app, so I have the proper account. Have my Yamaha 5810 set to passthrough, shouldn't be the issue. I will try a different cable. Not a big deal since I get it with the TV app, just more convenient through the hopper.

I also noticed my Joey 2 won't connect to Netflix at all. I Google this issue and see a lot of people have this problem with any Joey. I am hard wired and other internet apps connect fine. But Netflix Joey says check your connection. Weird.

One other possibility...you mentioned you just had the H3 installed yesterday. It usually takes newly installed Hoppers a good day or two to settle in, and the whole system has a habit of acting a little strange for those first couple days. I'd give it another day or two before you start trying anything radical to solve issues that might be popping up. ;)

I'd fully bypass the surround sound system and connect it straight to the TV and see if that works. I do think that this will solve the problem.
I agree with Speedy here, but, I also agree with DWS. Give it a few days first before doing anything at all. Another thing, your HDMI cables both from the Hopper to the Yamaha and from the Yamaha to the TV need to be HDMI 2.0 ready to transport a 4K signal.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yeah, the Dish tech tried to sell me a $40 "special" 4k cable, I said no. All my HDMI cables pass 4k and HDR, and they were less than $10, if not free with the equipment. Then I showed him this from the Dish site and he kept quiet.
https://www.dish.com/dig/technology/hdmi-cable-buying-guide/

Short (6' or less) HDMI "high speed" cables are generally OK for 4K video. Longer runs are suspect unless you are buying "Premium Certified" cables (look for the special logo). Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cables both sell inexpensive Premium Certified HDMI cables. Monoprice has one 25' Premium Certified HDMI cable. If you are going farther than that it will be difficult to find certified cables and your connection may not be reliable. Your best bet in this case is the Monoprice "SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI". RUIPRO also sells a "Light Speed Support 18.2 Gbps" cable. Both of these are fibre and work up to about 100'.

No sweat, only a 3' run. Will give it another day and try. Then just hook up directly to tv with optical to avr if that doesn't work.

Reactions: MattG@DISH
It has been determined that a 3 ft. cable has problems, it is suggested that 6ft to 15 ft. is optimum. This info mainly comes from AVS Forums.

I have a 4K HDMI switch the H3 won't pass 4K material through but my Roku and FireTv will so I think it has something to do with the H3 being picky. I would try directly from H3 into TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts