Hopper 3 and Hopper 2 Question

macphreak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Indiana
I was just contacted by the dirt team to get the new Hopper 3.

But, I also just heard last night (from a friend) that you can only have one hopper 3 and NO hopper 2's on your account.

I have a bedroom Hopper 2 that I was planning to replace with the hopper 3. Then, I have another hopper 1 in my living room that I am wanting to keep (it is the kids)

They could be completely separated and wouldn’t need to see each other's recordings (in fact, I would prefer it that way)

Does anyone here know if I would be able to keep my hopper 1 if I got the hopper 3?

Thanks!

Nope. Dish will not allow you to have multiple H3 or combos of H1 (or H2) along with the H3. You will have to replace your additional Hopper locations with Joeys if you upgrade to the H3. The only way you could keep the second Hopper would be to setup a second account and install a second Dish for it.

Also at this point 1 hopper 3 is the only receiver that can be connected to the dish. Anything more, even with different accounts is gonna take 2 dishes.

Nope. Dish will not allow you to have multiple H3 or combos of H1 (or H2) along with the H3. You will have to replace your additional Hopper locations with Joeys if you upgrade to the H3. The only way you could keep the second Hopper would be to setup a second account and install a second Dish for it.

That stinks. My kids (teen boys) have their hopper full. Our hopper stays really full as well. I was looking forward to the upgrade and to pay whatever costs were involved but now I can’t really do that since it would all be combined to the single 2tb hard drive (which, in my family gets filled up fast!) oh well

Guess I’ll just wait around till the next generation. Wish there was some way to spilt those up or dedicate maybe 2 of the tuners to the hopper 1 and then leave 14 for the hopper 3. I know that’s not the way it works but it would be nice if it did.

That stinks. My kids (teen boys) have their hopper full. Our hopper stays really full as well. I was looking forward to the upgrade and to pay whatever costs were involved but now I can’t really do that since it would all be combined to the single 2tb hard drive (which, in my family gets filled up fast!) oh well

Guess I’ll just wait around till the next generation. Wish there was some way to spilt those up or dedicate maybe 2 of the tuners to the hopper 1 and then leave 14 for the hopper 3. I know that’s not the way it works but it would be nice if it did.

You can always just have an external hard drive connected for separate shows. There are plenty of tuners for everyone.

A second Hopper 3 is what is needed. There is a new DPH42 switch coming out toward the end of the year that will allow for a second Hopper 3 without having to have a second account or dish.

Reactions: macphreak and Ray S
That stinks. My kids (teen boys) have their hopper full. Our hopper stays really full as well. I was looking forward to the upgrade and to pay whatever costs were involved but now I can’t really do that since it would all be combined to the single 2tb hard drive (which, in my family gets filled up fast!) oh well.

Yeah, I can see large families who have a lot of shows they like to watch filling up an H3 quickly if they had 2 Hoppers prior.

Now, this is just a comment and not slam! Filling up a Hopper is A LOT of TV shows!! The Hopper was never designed as an archiving device proper. More a record, watch, then delete. Why I'm sure they added the EHD capability a long time ago to their DVRs. To use the EHD as the main archive device.

I have kids myself, though getting older and not into TV as much. But the rule was (and still is) delete when done watching and not record every episode of everything! Because I know they will end up never watching half of what they record.

As teenage boys, shouldn't they be out chasing girls instead of watching TV anyway?!?! :)

Yeah, I can see large families who have a lot of shows they like to watch filling up an H3 quickly if they had 2 Hoppers prior.

Now, this is just a comment and not slam! Filling up a Hopper is A LOT of TV shows!! The Hopper was never designed as an archiving device proper. More a record, watch, then delete. Why I'm sure they added the EHD capability a long time ago to their DVRs. To use the EHD as the main archive device.

I have kids myself, though getting older and not into TV as much. But the rule was (and still is) delete when done watching and not record every episode of everything! Because I know they will end up never watching half of what they record.

As teenage boys, shouldn't they be out chasing girls instead of watching TV anyway?!?! :)

Lol good point (especially the last one ;)

I hear what you’re saying. I think one of the main problems is that my wife does record a lot of shows and then keeps them on the main drive and takes a while to have a day to watch them all. She’ll eventually get around to watching them and then deleting them. But, it does take some time.

The other problem is that we have had everything on one dvr before and she will complain about having to go through 13 different episodes of teen shows, etc before finding her stuff (I know, first world problem stuff right there).

Anyway, hopefully they will come up with a solution that will work better later in the year so we can have it work the way we want it to. I'm still dying to buy it though!

Reactions: charlesrshell
The "Wally" is coming, which may be more or less a ViP211. This might allow for some redundancy and a separate box and recordings (via EHD).

The "Wally" is coming, which may be more or less a ViP211. This might allow for some redundancy and a separate box and recordings (via EHD).
Only problem is it won't work on the same Dish that the Hopper 3 is connected too.
You would have to have 2 Dishes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Lol good point (especially the last one ;)

The other problem is that we have had everything on one dvr before and she will complain about having to go through 13 different episodes of teen shows, etc before finding her stuff (I know, first world problem stuff right there).

Anyway, hopefully they will come up with a solution that will work better later in the year so we can have it work the way we want it to. I'm still dying to buy it though!

You are not limited to just one EHD. There is no limit and 2 EHD's can be attached and fully accessed by each of the Hoppers you already have. So you can save all the programs you want to prior to getting a Hopper 3. You can play programs directly from an EHD, so there is no need to tranfer them to the Hopper 3.

An EHD can be sort by DVR date or Alphabetically. To make the contents quicker to access, you can use the "Folder by Title" option which will group episodes of a TV series together under one icon. Selecting the icon will produce a list of the episodes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts