Hopper 3 And OTA Scan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Just got upgraded to H3 from HWS. I've had OTA for many years. A couple of months before my upgrade, my antenna failed after 15 years of dependable service. I'm considered fringe area as far as receiving OTA. The antenna set-up is more than just a standard install. I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the old antenna or not. Even though I have no OTA signal at this point, I hooked my OTA adapter to my H3 just to check out the scanning options. I was hoping the "Add Channel" option was there as it was many moons ago on the VIP series units. It appears it is not.
I use an antenna rotor and receive from 3 cities, so to get all my channels I need to perform multiple scans. The HWS only saved the most recent scan.
Does the H3 save all channels from multiple scans, and allow you to then choose, or does each scan erase the previous scan?
Please let me know.

Pretty much each scan erases the previous scan. No add button any more and it doesn't look like they will ever fix that either.

...I hooked my OTA adapter to my H3 just to check out the scanning options. I was hoping the "Add Channel" option was there as it was many moons ago on the VIP series units. It appears it is not.
I use an antenna rotor and receive from 3 cities, so to get all my channels I need to perform multiple scans. The HWS only saved the most recent scan.
Does the H3 save all channels from multiple scans, and allow you to then choose, or does each scan erase the previous scan?
Please let me know.
The Dish receivers/OTA adapters are virtually useless if you get channels from multiple directions. I tried the Dish OTA adapter with my HWS and was very frustrated because each channel scan erases the previous scan, and there is no way to add channels. I get channels from 3 different directions so it is impossible to scan them all. However, if I use my TV's tuner for OTA, it is extremely easy to scan them all (and I also receive more channels).

I really don't understand why it is so hard for Dish to implement an Add Channels function.

Reactions: pattykay
The Dish receivers/OTA adapters are virtually useless if you get channels from multiple directions. I tried the Dish OTA adapter with my HWS and was very frustrated because each channel scan erases the previous scan, and there is no way to add channels. I get channels from 3 different directions so it is impossible to scan them all. However, if I use my TV's tuner for OTA, it is extremely easy to scan them all (and I also receive more channels).

I really don't understand why it is so hard for Dish to implement an Add Channels function.

10-4 on that.
Does the H3 just have a single OTA tuner?

The way it is going , I think that DISH is moving away from ota support. They aren't even selling the dual tuner ota dongle on their website at all. You have to look for it on an online DISH retailer to buy it . They already don't support many sub channel guide information ,which pretty much makes it useless for recording.

Does the H3 just have a single OTA tuner?

The H3 doesn't have any OTA tuners built-in. All the Hoppers require separate purchase of an OTA Adapter that plugs into one of the USB ports. The adapter that was originally available only had one OTA tuner, while the newer replacement adapter model released earlier in the year includes two OTA tuners. Only one of the two tuners works currently, pending a future software update to enable the second of the two tuners. Suffice to say...that update will be coming "soon".

I have a feeling DISH won't sell the dual-tuner OTA adapter until the Hopper/Wally supports dual OTA tuning.

I had a Vizio TV that didn't have the ability to add stations to an initial OTA channel scan and I would temporarily use a splitter as a combiner to add a secondary antenna aimed at my strongest stations with the main antenna aimed at the weakest stations and do a scan. It shouldn't have been necessary with a proper add channel option, but it did work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts