Hopper 3 and Wally

Isn't it true that most simple, cheap DVB receivers don't have to deal with decryption?
A lot of them have CAM slots. I know back in the "FTA" piracy days, Coolsat and SonicView receivers could take custom firmware to decrypt the Nagravision 2 encryption, and could record two streams at one time off of the same transponder, so decryption didn't seem to tax them that bad, and that was going on 10 years ago, of course some of the ViP series are nearly that old.

Connecting Wallys to Hoppers doesn't make sense. It's just meant to be a stand alone non-DVR receiver, primarily for RVs and business installations. If you need connectivity to a Hopper, that's precisely what Joeys and Super Joeys are for. I'm not quite sure what you'd be trying to accomplish by using a Wally instead of a Joey.

I have currently have 3 hoppers (1xHopper 1.0 and 2xHopper 2.0) and 6 joey 1.0.

I was having the Hopper 3 installed today with 8xJoey 2.0. Come to find out from the tech that this cannot be done now and was told by DISH that I need to wait for the Wally to be released and then I can have a 9 TV system on the Hopper3 system and that it will all communicate together, but I guess we will see. So according to dish the Wally will help customers with more TVs be supported.

I have currently have 3 hoppers (1xHopper 1.0 and 2xHopper 2.0) and 6 joey 1.0.

I was having the Hopper 3 installed today with 8xJoey 2.0. Come to find out from the tech that this cannot be done now and was told by DISH that I need to wait for the Wally to be released and then I can have a 9 TV system on the Hopper3 system and that it will all communicate together, but I guess we will see. So according to dish the Wally will help customers with more TVs be supported.

I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I think you're going to need the new switch they are working on.

Reactions: charlesrshell
a 9 TV system on the Hopper3 system and that it will all communicate together

That last part may be a bit misleading, too, depending on how you interpret "communicate together" and/or what your expectations are. I don't believe the Wally will "communicate" with the Hopper system...at least not in the way the Joeys will. The Wally is the replacement for the 211 which is a stand-alone, non-dvr, single-tuner receiver. You would be able to watch TV and even use it as a DVR if you add an external hard drive, but it would not have access to the recordings/tuners on the Hopper.

Reactions: DishTech0607
Update... So I'm having finally getting the hopper 3 installed this Saturday for my 9 TV's. They are installing 2 Hopper3's and 7 Joey2's. Hopefully it all works out this time.

Ummm nope they won't be!

How many Hopper 3s?

Supposedly another poster in a different thread was told by Dish they could have a pair of H3 installed as well, on separate dishes, but on same account. Don't think they ever followed up to as to the outcome if it really happened.

Assuming Dish does actually allow it, I hope the OP realizes it will require separate dishes, and the H3s will not communicate with one another like the original H1/H2 were able to.

Update. After an 8 hour install. Successful. 2 dishes, 1 account, 2 Hopper 3s, and 7 Joey 2s. Both hopper communicate being on separate dishes, one hopper connected to Internet via Ethernet and other connected via wifi to Internet.

Update. After an 8 hour install. Successful. 2 dishes, 1 account, 2 Hopper 3s, and 7 Joey 2s. Both hopper communicate being on separate dishes, one hopper connected to Internet via Ethernet and other connected via wifi to Internet.
You have two Hopper 3s on one account?

I called and told I wanted to upgrade asked if they were able to accommodate 9 tvs yet (I've been trying to upgrade since February) they said they could do two hopper 3s, I responded with, you can't have to hopper 3s on one account. They said you could but would need 2 dishes. I responded with that you can't have 2 dishes on one account. They said you could, so I bought the other hopper 3 and 2 Joey 2s because you can only have 6 pieces of leased equipment from them. I contacted the field supervisor in my area to confirm it could be done via text, he confirmed and it's done. So I would say that you first need more then 7 tvs and buy another hopper to get 2 hopper 3s. I heard I would only need one hopper 3 and one dish by the end of the year when they advice the technology even more. I did have one issue, I have a bad connection with one of the Joey 2s in the master bathroom because the cable run it too long, so Monday I need to call and switch one Joey 2 for a wireless Joey.

I called and told I wanted to upgrade asked if they were able to accommodate 9 tvs yet (I've been trying to upgrade since February) they said they could do two hopper 3s, I responded with, you can't have to hopper 3s on one account. They said you could but would need 2 dishes. I responded with that you can't have 2 dishes on one account. They said you could, so I bought the other hopper 3 and 2 Joey 2s because you can only have 6 pieces of leased equipment from them. I contacted the field supervisor in my area to confirm it could be done via text, he confirmed and it's done. So I would say that you first need more then 7 tvs and buy another hopper to get 2 hopper 3s. I heard I would only need one hopper 3 and one dish by the end of the year when they advice the technology even more. I did have one issue, I have a bad connection with one of the Joey 2s in the master bathroom because the cable run it too long, so Monday I need to call and switch one Joey 2 for a wireless Joey.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Can both your Hopper 3s see each other like the HWSs can? Do all your 7 Joeys see both Hopper 3s?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)