Hopper 3 Apps

JWKessler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Nineveh Junction, NY
I was watching a nice overview of the Hopper 3 on YouTube the other night and the presenter very briefly mentioned apps. I thought I noticed an icon for a Sirius/XM app there, but the presenter didn't discuss it and it only appeared on screen for a split second. I'm not having much luck finding information on which Hopper apps currently exist or are in the pipeline.

I pay for Sirius/XM in my car, a radio at home and an online account. It would be great if I could use my online account with the Hopper so I was wondering if there really is an app for that and if I can use it with my online account to access all the channels I currently pay for three times.

Has anyone compiled a list of Hopper apps? All I keep seeing is information on the Netflix app.

The app on the Hopper just provides a simple interface for playing the Sirius/XM channels included with some of the DISH packages. Your subscription to Sirius/XM is not useable. You may see the Sirius/XM channels on channel 99 and subsets of 99.

I was watching a nice overview of the Hopper 3 on YouTube the other night and the presenter very briefly mentioned apps. I thought I noticed an icon for a Sirius/XM app there, but the presenter didn't discuss it and it only appeared on screen for a split second. I'm not having much luck finding information on which Hopper apps currently exist or are in the pipeline.

I pay for Sirius/XM in my car, a radio at home and an online account. It would be great if I could use my online account with the Hopper so I was wondering if there really is an app for that and if I can use it with my online account to access all the channels I currently pay for three times.

Has anyone compiled a list of Hopper apps? All I keep seeing is information on the Netflix app.
There very definitely is a Sirius/XM app on my H3 - I don't subscribe but it still works for me.

The answer is no, you can't access any Sirius Xm talk or sports channels on the Hopper. There are many music channels with no ads. However, the sound quality of the music is nothing to write home about. Sounds like FM sound quality, not CD quality.

The answer is no, you can't access any Sirius Xm talk or sports channels on the Hopper. There are many music channels with no ads. However, the sound quality of the music is nothing to write home about. Sounds like FM sound quality, not CD quality.
strange - I've tried listening to several channels on the app (listening to "50's" right now) - they all seem to work for me. The quality does however leave something to be desired. On second look, they are ones already in my program guide. I'm not sure why they are included as an "app" - I don't know what purpose it serves.

strange - I've tried listening to several channels on the app (listening to "50's" right now) - they all seem to work for me. The quality does however leave something to be desired. On second look, they are ones already in my program guide. I'm not sure why they are included as an "app" - I don't know what purpose it serves.
The 'App' simply drives you to the channels in the guide. It's just a way for those who don't realize that these channels exist to find them...

Reactions: xfoneguy
Thanks for the information. It would seem that there should be no technical reason they couldn't make a proper app for the service for those of us who are paying for it. Perhaps there isn't enough interest or there are legal issues. The Sirius/XM app for IOS devices is pretty decent but it would be great to not be forced to tie up my iPad just for that. There used to be third party standalone apps for my Mac that were really slick, but those have been killed off so you have to access the service with a web browser, which is clunky. At one time you could buy dedicated internet connected Sirius "radios" but those no longer seem to be sold either.

Thanks for the information. It would seem that there should be no technical reason they couldn't make a proper app for the service for those of us who are paying for it. Perhaps there isn't enough interest or there are legal issues. The Sirius/XM app for IOS devices is pretty decent but it would be great to not be forced to tie up my iPad just for that. There used to be third party standalone apps for my Mac that were really slick, but those have been killed off so you have to access the service with a web browser, which is clunky. At one time you could buy dedicated internet connected Sirius "radios" but those no longer seem to be sold either.
Crutchfield still sells an assortment of portable Sirius/XM radios - with docking station, they start at about $70. I still have a couple though I haven't had a subscription in some time now. I bet Amazon has them too.

Crutchfield still sells an assortment of portable Sirius/XM radios - with docking station, they start at about $70. I still have a couple though I haven't had a subscription in some time now. I bet Amazon has them too.

I already have a radio in a boombox with an outside antenna but was hoping for a standalone internet connected solution. You got me to checking however and I did find the SiriusXM TTR1 Tabletop Internet Radio selling for about $130 but with a lot of reviews discussing how unreliable it is. The service seems pretty solid on my iPad so I'm not sure why it couldn't be just as good on a dedicated device. Anyway, we are getting away from the Hopper here so I'd suggest dropping this unless or untill Dish offers a real SiriusXM app for the Hopper.

I already have a radio in a boombox with an outside antenna but was hoping for a standalone internet connected solution. You got me to checking however and I did find the SiriusXM TTR1 Tabletop Internet Radio selling for about $130 but with a lot of reviews discussing how unreliable it is. The service seems pretty solid on my iPad so I'm not sure why it couldn't be just as good on a dedicated device. Anyway, we are getting away from the Hopper here so I'd suggest dropping this unless or untill Dish offers a real SiriusXM app for the Hopper.
U R Right - Tis done......BTW - I discovered a "Sirius/XM Radio" Forum on SatelliteGuys - didn't even know it was there, though I guess it makes sense. Good luck with your sat-radio quest :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)