Hopper 3 bad PQ

I did and still do make a lot of adjustments since the Hopper came in. I have tweaked and tweaked, and still even last night was tweaking and getting more frustrated with the PQ. The problem is that the programming quality is so variable with Dish, that changing the channel makes you have to start all over again. I certainly cannot keep changing my calibration settings for every program. Even different shows on the same channel have varying degrees of quality, most of them quite poor (especially locals).

Changing the output of the receiver has a dramatic effect. It makes some channels looks terrible in 1080 and great in 720, and others vice-versa. Example: Jeopardy on Fox shows terrible combing in 1080, almost to the point of looking like a doubled image. Switching to 720 removes the combing, but the image then shakes up and down about one raster line. I can't win.

I'm just unsure of what the difference is between the 722 and the Hopper. Was the 722 performing up/downscaling and now the TV is? Was it the other way around? I'm at a loss and ready to throw in the towel. The wife isn't against getting a new TV, but it seems crazy that I should have to do that. Of course my worst fear is getting it home and finding the problem remains, or is even worse.

All of the expert advice here says it's not the Hopper, but how could a 4 year old TV under perform so dramatically with one receiver and not another? Streaming looks fantastic, as does anything from my media server. I'm still not convinced it is the TV, but also cannot argue that others have good results form the same receiver.

<rock> <me> <hard place>
There have been a fair number of complaints about PQ on Fox on the tech portal lately. As for the rest of your post, you definitely have me/us doing a lot of head scratching

There have been a fair number of complaints about PQ on Fox on the tech portal lately. As for the rest of your post, you definitely have me/us doing a lot of head scratching

I agree. The other night my PTAT Fox was very grainy. It looked worse than SD. The other PTAT networks looked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So here's what I did. Before I completely gave up, I decided to note all of my existing settings down. I defaulted the TV input (not the entire TV) and reconfigured using the exact same settings. BAM... dramatically improved! I have absolutely no explanation for why this worked, or what this actually did. I had already changed inputs which had different settings, but saw similar results. The change was immediate and astonishing. Of course this is technology, and even the HAL 9000 series had a perfect operational record, right?

It's not streaming or media server quality, nor would I expect it to be. It is quite good in comparison to what I have been seeing though, and probably better then the 722 was. I have reviewed the settings over and over again, and they are exactly the same. I have never entered the service menu, or made any strange modifications. It's like something got "stuck" or was just processing wrong. I was so happy to get this going... just in time to lose HBO and Cinemax (literally an hour later)!

The difference in OTA vs local Dish is still huge, but that was also true of my 722. BTW - Fox still looks like crap no matter what. :)

So here's what I did. Before I completely gave up, I decided to note all of my existing settings down. I defaulted the TV input (not the entire TV) and reconfigured using the exact same settings. BAM... dramatically improved! I have absolutely no explanation for why this worked, or what this actually did. I had already changed inputs which had different settings, but saw similar results. The change was immediate and astonishing. Of course this is technology, and even the HAL 9000 series had a perfect operational record, right?

It's not streaming or media server quality, nor would I expect it to be. It is quite good in comparison to what I have been seeing though, and probably better then the 722 was. I have reviewed the settings over and over again, and they are exactly the same. I have never entered the service menu, or made any strange modifications. It's like something got "stuck" or was just processing wrong. I was so happy to get this going... just in time to lose HBO and Cinemax (literally an hour later)!

The difference in OTA vs local Dish is still huge, but that was also true of my 722. BTW - Fox still looks like crap no matter what. :)

Glad you stuck with it until it worked.

That was going to be my next radical suggestion. Reset the TV and recalibrate the settings. Glad that you solved this riddle. I can't help with your locals. I am on the EA and my locals are almost as good as OTA. Actually, some are better due to OTA splitting their bandwidth with subchannels.

Reactions: HipKat and ncted
That was going to be my next radical suggestion. Reset the TV and recalibrate the settings. Glad that you solved this riddle. I can't help with your locals. I am on the EA and my locals are almost as good as OTA. Actually, some are better due to OTA splitting their bandwidth with subchannels.

Dish may be getting your OTAs delivered over fiber. I think here in Denver they use an antenna and rebroadcast, which would make sense as they have a huge presence here. I see compression on some of my OTAs too, due to sub-channels being stacked up on the transmitter.

Some of my locals are as good as OTA, but only because they really couldn't get much worse.

Reactions: KAB

The product that spun off "The Wall" is a modular system that you can connect the video blocks like Legos and they automatically adapt to the shape and off you go . . .

Also LG has registered ©, ® and ™ for various versions of the microDot and microOLED formats.

I tried watching last week's Nature on PBS, and it was almost impossible to watch as there was a lot of fast motion. The streaming picture on their app is SOOOO much better. Having had OTA before, I know this is not Dish's fault, but rather the multiple sub channels PBS is broadcasting.

Changing the output of the receiver has a dramatic effect. It makes some channels looks terrible in 1080 and great in 720, and others vice-versa. Example: Jeopardy on Fox shows terrible combing in 1080, almost to the point of looking like a doubled image. Switching to 720 removes the combing, but the image then shakes up and down about one raster line. I can't win.
I had not noticed this issue until after I read this. Now I am seeing the up and down jitter during the West Virginia vs. Texas college football game on Fox. I agree, it is very annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)