Hopper 3 H310 Software Update Is Here

Interesting. Of course the reboot of the Joey did nothing, since it came right back up with the old software. I let it reboot itself at 3AM. But I suppose I might have seen something happening when it went into standby.
Yeah, I don’t know why there isn’t a option in diagnostics that lets you check for updates, or why rebooting doesn’t trigger it. Your only options are placing the Joey on standby, or into recovery mode. From what I can tell it asks the Hopper that it’s paired to (if there is more then one on the network) for the current software, and if it’s different then it pulls the update over whatever connection method (Moca, WiFi and even Ethernet work), so the download is pretty quick compared to the download the H3 does from satellite. After that it takes like 5 minutes to flash. So it’s relatively quick.

Reactions: TheKrell
And this morning, I see J510. A single press of the skip back 10 seconds button inexplicably skips back 20 seconds. After a few seconds of chase play at -20 seconds, it again jumps to live. :crying
Yeah, I presume that the "explicit" (meaning it displays as a 20 second skip back instead of displaying a 10 second skip back, but really performing a 20 seconds skip back) is the ONLY "fix" for you--long time?--reported problem that I, too, have had to deal with. I've found I have to manually skip back at least 2 full minuets (often 3 minutes does the trick) to get reliable non picture break-up with no jumping to Live playback. I feel your pain.

• Sad
I presume that the "explicit" (meaning it displays as a 20 second skip back instead of displaying a 10 second skip back, but really performing a 20 seconds skip back) is the ONLY "fix" for you..
Huh? :confused: It's no fix at all; it's in even worse shape than before! The -10sec skip used to work, at least briefly before it skips ahead to live. I do not understand why this bug has received zero attention from Dish programmers in... Ah... What has it been? A year? Two? :mad:

Huh? :confused: It's no fix at all; it's in even worse shape than before! The -10sec skip used to work, at least briefly before it skips ahead to live. I do not understand why this bug has received zero attention from Dish programmers in... Ah... What has it been? A year? Two? :mad:
I used the work "fix" in quotations as sarcasm or irony , as in "Dish now explicitly labels it a 20 second skip back instead of a 10 seconds skip back and considers it "fixed." :) He, he, he. Of course it was no FIX at all. It was a sad attempt at humor. :)

Oh, I should add that I'm sure Dish has given attention to this bug, but no one at Dish knows how to fix it--or they don't know how to fix it without a complete tear down of the code, especially since they laid off all those coders a few years ago. I bet those who got the Pink Slips were the OLDER workers who knew how to code and troubleshoot better, but they cost more money to employ than the newest youngster coders.

Let's say you're watching live TV, but you miss something. You skip back 10 seconds to hear something again, and after doing that and before you get to hear the part you missed, it jumps to live! You can try skipping back multiple 10 seconds. At some point (-1 minute?) its chase play is fine. Occasionally, while hitting skip forward or back multiple times, it sometimes skips all the way back to the beginning of the buffer. But it's favorite "trick" is to skip unbidden to live. Very annoying. My H3 did not do this when I first got it.

OK, I manually triggered this update. I'll try the Joey myself later.
The only DVRs that didn't do that was the 501 era.... over 15 years ago. I will be REALLY surprised to see that fixed.

• Sad
Just for reference, a Joey will only update if its on standby with the host Hopper connected. What I do to force is turn the Joey off, either by pressing the power button on the front panel or covering the IR blaster on my 54 remote (So only the Joey shuts off), then wait about a minute for a download box to come up. The Hopper does not need to be off or anything special, its just the Joey that needs to be off so it can compare its current version to the host and update if necessary.

I assume that the Joey3 is in standby when it is not being used. The only time I use my Joey3 is when I am in the bedroom at night so it is in standby (off) most of the time. When I updated both of my Hopper3 receivers my Joey3 was off. Normally the Joey3 will turn itself on and update itself after the Hopper3 updates are finished. That did not happen so after waiting 10 minutes I did a power reset on the Joey3. It still did not trigger the update. The Joey3 update finally happened during the nightly reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The only DVRs that didn't do that was the 501 era.... over 15 years ago. I will be REALLY surprised to see that fixed.
That was not my experience. I had a 501 and loved how smooth the trick play was. An ultimately-unsuccessful attempt to get around patent lawsuits messed that up and gave us the trick play we "enjoy" now.

But not only did the trick play function as advertised on my 501, but it also did on my 625, my 722, both my 612's, and my H3 and J3's when I first got them. This is a more recent bug than you think.

That was not my experience. I had a 501 and loved how smooth the trick play was. An ultimately-unsuccessful attempt to get around patent lawsuits messed that up and gave us the trick play we "enjoy" now.

But not only did the trick play function as advertised on my 501, but it also did on my 625, my 722, both my 612's, and my H3 and J3's when I first got them. This is a more recent bug than you think.
Maybe I am talking about something different. I mean the annoying issue of not being able to skip back 10 seconds and have it hold at 10 seconds back w/o jumping to live. This problem started with the 522 and has continued ever since. I remember the 501/508/510 being the smoothest DVR with regards to pausing and resuming of any DVR they ever made.
Maybe I misunderstood the question.

I mean the annoying issue of not being able to skip back 10 seconds and have it hold at 10 seconds back w/o jumping to live.
Now you've got me doubting my memory.

Anybody else remember such a problem dating back to the 522? As I stated above, I don't remember any such problem annoying the hell out of me until my H3 started doing it. Does this problem exist with any other receiver? The Wally perhaps?

Quick aside from a new subscriber please...twice I have seen my Hopper 3 prompt to allow a download but my wife told it no because she is watching something. Will it still download the new firmware on its own, say during a nightly reboot?

We have the Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys and at least one of them is in use almost 24/7.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Quick aside from a new subscriber please...twice I have seen my Hopper 3 prompt to allow a download but my wife told it no because she is watching something. Will it still download the new firmware on its own, say during a nightly reboot?

We have the Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys and at least one of them is in use almost 24/7.
In it's own time. Some people download the updates to be the first to get them. Usually it downloads in a month after it's posted on here. Sometimes it's better to wait because some people have problems after they update it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, my memory is different. True 50X, 510 era, but also, I would add, the next gen DishPlayer 52X and 6XX DVR's, that did NOT behave in the frustrating way that has been described. However, IIRC, it was the ViP's that first exhibited the frustrating jump to Live after a Skip Back. It was BEFORE the ViP's availability that TiVo filed its infamous lawsuit against Echostar for infringing upon TiVo's "Time Warp" patents (that would be another name for "Trick Play").

It has been suggested on this forum that the ViP's were designed so they would have no way of violating TiVo's patents named in the lawsuit (some on this forum had stated that Echostar moved to using HARDWARE instead of software to achieve "Trick Play"). While all of Echostar's (specifically Dish's in-house) DVR's after the Original DishPlayer with software by Microsoft, but before the ViP's were named in the TiVo lawsuit. The ViPs' were, therefore, considered "non-offending" DVR's because they were never subsequently named in the original TiVo lawsuit. In fact, it came out in a Quarterly Conference Call that, consistent with reports in the Press, that Dish had been warehousing extreme numbers of ViP DVR's for the implicit purpose of using as change-out DVR's to replace the older DishPlayer models 501, 5XX (single and dual tuner DVR's), and 6XX DVR's if Dish ultimately had to compensate TiVo as per the claims in the lawsuit.

FWIW, eventually, Dish put in place a "work around" for all the "offending" DVR's, but did not tell the "rouge" trail Court in Marshall, Texas. The Judge was angry, but wrong in, essentially, discounting the "work-around" because an Appeals Court admonished the Marshall, Texas Court for other transgressions during the trial and further ruled in favor of Dish regarding the "work-around" that would, essentially, require a whole NEW trial. Then TiVo CEO Tom Rogers accepted a far LESS lucrative settlement with Echostar saying he didn't " . . . want to wait for the Supreme Court." It was a very cheap settlement for Echostar that got them ALL of TiVo tech at that time, and Dish dropped its suit against TiVo and allowed TiVo a few of Echostar's patents. But TiVo was still able to use the settlement with Echostar as leverage with all the other MVPD's and ALL the other DVR makers TiVo was suing to extract settlements from them, especially compared to the full cost of going to court for the far more deep than pocketed (than Echostar) corporations that TiVo was also suing. And Tom Rogers and Charlie Ergen remained friends throughout the years long trial and court process and through the settlement. Never and "bad blood" between them.

Now you've got me doubting my memory.

Anybody else remember such a problem dating back to the 522? As I stated above, I don't remember any such problem annoying the hell out of me until my H3 started doing it. Does this problem exist with any other receiver? The Wally perhaps?
My Wally's have never done it that I've noticed but towards the end my VIP211k's did (I think it was the very last update prior to changing to Wally's last year).

Well, it certainly didn’t fix ANY DVR issues. I just love it when it decides to stay “live” all the time... hit pause, nope, live, rewind?, nope, live, Forward? Nope, live. And it’s so fun when you’re watching a movie, others watching football, and the only fix is a reboot of the whole system, which sends it to a critical sys check, and takes 20 minutes to reboot...
worst DVR in the industry, bar none.
LOVE Direct, you can rewind two hours, even CHANGE channels, and rewind. And COX even has better features. Don’t know why DISH doesn’t improve the DVR. It’s trash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts