Hopper 3 HDCP?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Which HDCP does Dish use on the Hopper 3? Is it 2.0 , 2.1, or 2.2? I have so much trouble with my Hopper 3/ 4K Joey. I want to try a high $ HDMI cable . But I want to get the Protocol being used. Thanks.

Which HDCP does Dish use on the Hopper 3? Is it 2.0 , 2.1, or 2.2? I have so much trouble with my Hopper 3/ 4K Joey. I want to try a high $ HDMI cable . But I want to get the Protocol being used. Thanks.

From all the years of looking at the stats in Hoppers and the like and seeing how they talk to each other and read end devices, and the HDCP issues in have had, I doubt that a cable will help you. It's the end device that is in question, to make sure it is primarily not a recording device, not the route that it is gotten to. I have seen many times in the stats where my DLP is list as having HDCP. And then when I inserted a AVR the message changed to match the end device. I have good HDMI 2.0 (got them at CablesToGo.com) cables and still get errors when I switch from my rack monitor, connected via component cables, to the DLP and my AVR hiccups when turned on to the signal and the Hopper cuts the signal. Once the AVR is accepting the signal properly, all is well. So I have my AVR set to passthrough the HD signal so that I can use my rack monitor when not using the DLP. It basically acts like a false end device, although the rack monitor is plugged into the HwS directly.

In the HDMI Wiki, it does state that there is some high-end gear out there that is not HDCP compatible.

Thanks. My work around is to go from the Hopper to the TV with a HDMI. Than from the Hopper 3 to the AVR with a Optical cable. However I can't get any sound out of my AVR. Is the Optical out working on the Hopper 3. Or is that broken also? Thanks

The optical works fine on the H3. I have my H3 HDMI connected to the TV and the optical from the H3 to my AVR.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Thanks. My work around is to go from the Hopper to the TV with a HDMI. Than from the Hopper 3 to the AVR with a Optical cable. However I can't get any sound out of my AVR. Is the Optical out working on the Hopper 3. Or is that broken also? Thanks
What receiver are you using? I know I need to tell my Denon what to look for (HDMI-Optical) for it to process correctly.

What receiver are you using? I know I need to tell my Denon what to look for (HDMI-Optical) for it to process correctly.

Denon X4000. I tried a lot of stuff. Nothing made the 4K joey work better which was the goal. Has to be a software issue. Kids have two regular joeys and no issues. Mine/4K see's the Hopper 1 every 3 times it is turned on.

Denon X4000. I tried a lot of stuff. Nothing made the 4K joey work better which was the goal. Has to be a software issue. Kids have two regular joeys and no issues. Mine/4K see's the Hopper 1 every 3 times it is turned on.
I'm not an installer so hopefully one will provide some clarity here but if joeys are ok and 4K is not I would guess the 4k requires a higher data rate then the regular joey thus the coax (NOT HDMI) and connectors should be top notch not whatever was leftover from other systems and that may be causing your communications issue.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
I have a Harman Kardon 3700, but the method is the same regardless when the AVR doesn't actually support 4K.

I have my H3 connected directly to the tv's HDMI 2, my optical from the H3 to Optical 2. Then set the HK to use the cable/sat sourcing and set that to have optical 2 as the audio. The video portion isn't important so whatever you set it to is fine since the AVR isn't going to do the video portion at all.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

If you ask Irish Shark he will just tell you it's busted because he read a couple people have the issue of HDCP. Honestly, the Dish supplied cable is more than enough. I have had mine from the H2 and H1 days, and likely the same cable I used when I had my 722s and 612... It's worked just fine. Not see which cable I have connected right now, just one of the HDMIs provided by Dish. I have a drawer full of them with all the upgrades.

When the install was done I raised some concerns about the placement of the distribution line. On line goes straight up stairs to a regular Joey. The other goes to the master bedroom 4K Joey. Then splits from there goes back out and upstairs to other regular joey. Distance and power consumption could be a problem. But I have no way to prove it. This was done because I had two Hopper 2's and one was in the master bedroom and shared with one of the regular joeys.

I'm not an installer so hopefully one will provide some clarity here but if joeys are ok and 4K is not I would guess the 4k requires a higher data rate then the regular joey thus the coax (NOT HDMI) and connectors should be top notch not whatever was leftover from other systems and that may be causing your communications issue.

Just a thought...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)