Hopper 3 hookup to remote tv with no Joey?

rudsaki

Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
Pollock Pines, CA
Something like the VIP22k? Would like to save on a rental if possible. Have coax and ethernet in each room and a central closet where they all meet.
thanks for any help

Vip222 will not be allowed on same account with any Hopper (additional fee would be $14 a month if it was), you may be able to run second HDMI (you will need a HDMI switch) or component (not sure if Hopper 3 has both) with audio wires to second tv, downside is the same program would be viewed on both tv's. A Joey would be needed if you want to have independent viewing.

Reactions: KAB
He's not asking about having a 222 with a hopper. He wants his Hopper to have the capability of a 222 because he doesn't want to use a Joey. I'm sure there are ways with a modulator but it wouldn't be HD at the other TV nor would the other TV be able to watch a different channel than the Hopper is currently watching.

Reactions: rudsaki
Vip222 will not be allowed on same account with any Hopper (additional fee would be $14 a month if it was), you may be able to run second HDMI (you will need a HDMI switch) or component (not sure if Hopper 3 has both) with audio wires to second tv, downside is the same program would be viewed on both tv's. A Joey would be needed if you want to have independent viewing.
Just an FYI - The H3 has both Composite (R-W-Y) and Component (R-B-G) outputs in addition to HDMI

I've been wondering the same thing. My current VIP 722 is connected to my projector via HDMI in the theater and to an upstairs HDTV via component cables. It all works fine as long as I'm content with watching the same thing on every TV, which I am. The installers gave me an extra wireless remote, one for the theater and one for upstairs. I would be happy to do the same with a Hopper 3 if I was sure it would work but there have been reports of that not working for some folks and Dish not wanting to officially support that. Perhaps I should just try it and have a Joey added later if it doesn't work. All I would need is the second remote.

The old VIP 722 also has a modulated RF out that I run around the house to some old small SD TVs so I can monitor the signal all around the house. It appears that the Hopper does not have that feature but I should be able to connect an external modulator which I already have to the Hopper's composite output.

Any comments on this odd set up would be appreciated.

Reactions: rudsaki
I have my main TV connected with hdmi and a second tv connected via component. Works fine as only one is ever on at a time.

But that problem is easily solve by making your HDMI connection using a HDMI splitter since that will block the HDCP.

Not the HDMI splitters that I've seen. I just checked with a brand new HDMI splitter and it would not pass 4K content because it said it required an HDCP connection.

Maybe there are specific HDMI splitters that will strip the HDCP and will work with protected content and 4K. If there are will you please provide an example including brand and model number.

If you find a HDMI splitter that will work with 4K and is affordable you let me know.
My Monoprice HDMI splitter definitely blocks the HDCP.

If you find a HDMI splitter that will work with 4K and is affordable you let me know.
My Monoprice HDMI splitter definitely blocks the HDCP.

So your Monoprice splitter strips the HDCP but doesn't do 4K?

It sounds like independent tv1 and tv2 style viewing like the 722 is out and a joey is needed in each room.. I really only need 2, one in the bar and the other in the master bedroom. If people come to visit, I can always move the bar one to another bedroom.

I've been wondering the same thing. My current VIP 722 is connected to my projector via HDMI in the theater and to an upstairs HDTV via component cables. It all works fine as long as I'm content with watching the same thing on every TV, which I am. The installers gave me an extra wireless remote, one for the theater and one for upstairs. I would be happy to do the same with a Hopper 3 if I was sure it would work but there have been reports of that not working for some folks and Dish not wanting to officially support that. Perhaps I should just try it and have a Joey added later if it doesn't work. All I would need is the second remote.

The old VIP 722 also has a modulated RF out that I run around the house to some old small SD TVs so I can monitor the signal all around the house. It appears that the Hopper does not have that feature but I should be able to connect an external modulator which I already have to the Hopper's composite output.

Any comments on this odd set up would be appreciated.
Yes, you can use your modulator to distribute your hopper signal like your old set up, just use the composite outputs on the hopper.
I had our H1 and H2 signal modulated to my computer room with ok results. It was going to an older 27 in set and looked OK. When we got the H3 upgrade I decided to splurge and get a wireless Joey setup and add my computer room. Also upgraded the set to a 1080p flatscreen with much better results.
But the modulator should give you the same results you had with your 722 VIP.

Reactions: JWKessler
It sounds like independent tv1 and tv2 style viewing like the 722 is out and a joey is needed in each room.. I really only need 2, one in the bar and the other in the master bedroom. If people come to visit, I can always move the bar one to another bedroom.
I know when we first upgraded from our 722 VIP to the H1, loosing the ability to watch the same recording at the same time was a major drawback. Too bad Dish with all it's technical expertise can't come up with a way to let us have that back. That would really be a "nice to have" feature.

I know when we first upgraded from our 722 VIP to the H1, loosing the ability to watch the same recording at the same time was a major drawback. Too bad Dish with all it's technical expertise can't come up with a way to let us have that back. That would really be a "nice to have" feature.
Yep, it was a major drawback for me too. That is why I added RF modulators to my HWSs. I wish the Hoppers could sync recordings to the Joeys.

Yep, it was a major drawback for me too. That is why I added RF modulators to my HWSs. I wish the Hoppers could sync recordings to the Joeys.
I tried the RF Modulator on our master bedroom line when we first got the Hopper and found that the coax to our bedroom was having some serious problems giving us a really bad snowy picture. So we went with a Joey using the same coax and found that it gave us a terrific picture giving us a Hopper and one Joey system. I used the RF Modulator for our computer room until we did the H3 upgrade. Now we have the H3 with two wireless Joeys with really great results. I figured an extra $7 a month was worth the excellent picture in both locations.

I tried the RF Modulator on our master bedroom line when we first got the Hopper and found that the coax to our bedroom was having some serious problems giving us a really bad snowy picture. So we went with a Joey using the same coax and found that it gave us a terrific picture giving us a Hopper and one Joey system. I used the RF Modulator for our computer room until we did the H3 upgrade. Now we have the H3 with two wireless Joeys with really great results. I figured an extra $7 a month was worth the excellent picture in both locations.
All my RF modulators give real good SD picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts