Hopper 3 in RV

Happy Campers

Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
NC
I presently have a 722 in my home that I move to my RV when on the road. My antenna setup for the RV is a 1000.4 dish mounted on a tripod. I use both EA & WA LNB's with good results.

I have ordered a new Hopper 3 to be installed at our residence with a single TV and no Joey's. I want to have the same flexibility when I move the H3 to the RV as before. I will have to use a tripod mounted dish as I don"t have room for the Winegard Traveler. I assume I'll need a 1000.2 dish with hybrid LNB's for the H3. Will I need to use the hybrid solo hub with this configuration or can I connect direct from the hybrid LNB's to the H3?

Next question is I have been using a cheap inline tuning meter to peak the dish on the satellites which I surmise won't work on the newer LNB's. Any suggestions on an inexpensive tuning meter that will work?

Any suggestions or help sincerely appreciated.

You could dial in the dish with your old lnb's then switch to hybrid when alignment is complete.

Oh and btw welcome to the site.

You could add a DPH42 switch to your existing 1K4 dish setup and continue to use the existing LNB's with the H3. That would also keep the capability of receiving all three the EA sats instead of just the two the 1K2 EA LNB "sees".

I have ordered a new Hopper 3 to be installed at our residence with a single TV and no Joey's. I want to have the same flexibility when I move the H3 to the RV as before. I will have to use a tripod mounted dish as I don"t have room for the Winegard Traveler. I assume I'll need a 1000.2 dish with hybrid LNB's for the H3.
Though I have a 1000.4 dish, I use a 1000.2 with Hybrid LNBFs with my H3. It's just easier.

With a 1000.2 hybrid, you only have to run one wire back to your RV. You could hang a DPH42 off a DPP dish, but why bother?

dph_hopper-3-rv-wiring-examples-150dpi.jpg

Will I need to use the hybrid solo hub with this configuration or can I connect direct from the hybrid LNB's to the H3?
You can connect directly to your H3.

Next question is I have been using a cheap inline tuning meter to peak the dish on the satellites which I surmise won't work on the newer LNB's. Any suggestions on an inexpensive tuning meter that will work?

Look for a used Super Buddy: Applied Instruments Super Buddy Signal Level Meter | eBay

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hanging a DPH 42 off the dish would save the cost of replacing both the EA and WA LNBF's, so a cost trade-off there. But it would also allow him to continue using his existing meter and 1K4 dish assembly, as well retaining the 77 sat capability.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You could add a DPH42 switch to your existing 1K4 dish setup and continue to use the existing LNB's with the H3. That would also keep the capability of receiving all three the EA sats instead of just the two the 1K2 EA LNB "sees".

Would I have to run a separate coax to supply power to the DPH42 or would it receive power through the coax from the Hopper?

Would I have to run a separate coax to supply power to the DPH42 or would it receive power through the coax from the Hopper?
You would just have to run a single coax from the Power Inserter to the DPH42 which would be attached to the tripod. The Power Inserter would stay inside the RV.

Reactions: NYDutch