Hopper 3 / Joey 4k -- Composite video output letterbox issue

msouthlot

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Utah
Hi. I'm hoping someone else is trying to feed mirrored Hopper and Joey video to other TVs in the house using Composite to coax RF modulators.

The video coming across to the smaller TVs in my house is being forced into Letterbox (black bar on top and bottom) by the H3 and Joey 4k. The H3 and Joey 4k graphics (ie. Guide, info, Home screen, etc) are proportioned correctly, but the video feed of HD and SD channels are forced to letterbox size. I cannot find any settings on the H3 or Joey 4k where I can affect the video coming out of the Composite outputs. I have plugged a TV directly into the H3 via composite cables (yellow, red, white) and the same behavior exists, so I can rule out the modulator as the culprit. The modulator does degrade the video quality, but that is an entirely different issue.

Does anyone have any experience with these issues?

I have seen some old threads describing the same issue using Hopper 1, but I am not finding any solutions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

------

The attached images below show what is happening when the Receiver is squishing the video vertically, but the GUI is normal. Very odd.

Attachments

• IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2553.JPG
    IMG_2553.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 307
I have been using modulators since 1995 and hope that they work the same as they do with the HwS. Menu/Guide full screen, programming Letterbox. But your programming look stretched. But that's on a 16:9 screen (your pics). What about on a 4:3? I trust that's what the output is set for and would look "normal".

Letterbox on the composite A/V output is the new standard for the latest software in all Dish receivers from the 211's on up. The way I got around it was to buy a component to composite converter so I modulate the component output and it looks good on mirrored TV's again.

Send your feedback on this change to Dish. I doubt they'll change it but it can't hurt to politely suggest it. :)

Letterbox on the composite A/V output is the new standard for the latest software in all Dish receivers from the 211's on up. The way I got around it was to buy a component to composite converter so I modulate the component output and it looks good on mirrored TV's again.

Send your feedback on this change to Dish. I doubt they'll change it but it can't hurt to politely suggest it. :)
Is there such a thing as component to RF modulator?

Is there such a thing as component to RF modulator?

That's a good question. I'll let you know if I see one.

Oh, BTW Charles off topic, I've been seeing the 'Resume' button on recordings that I started watching while still recording, if that's what you were looking for. :)

That's a good question. I'll let you know if I see one.

Oh, BTW Charles off topic, I've been seeing the 'Resume' button on recordings that I started watching while still recording, if that's what you were looking for. :)
OK, thanks. It has me concerned that all the output ports don't pass thru signal while Hopper is streaming 4K. We like to sync recordings to all other TVs. I would presume the new Hopper 3 and all the newer Joeys still don't sync recordings to other TVs!

On those recordings that you see the resume button that you started watching while still recording, did you see it after the program had finish recording?

OK, thanks. It has me concerned that all the output ports don't pass thru signal while Hopper is streaming 4K. We like to sync recordings to all other TVs. I would presume the new Hopper 3 and all the newer Joeys still don't sync recordings to other TVs!

On those recordings that you see the resume button that you started watching while still recording, did you see it after the program had finish recording?

It's a different experience mirroring TV's with this one. As you already know, you probably won't be happy until you can get more than one H3. :)

Yes, I saw 'Resume' at least once after the program finished. I don't know whether that was SOP or an anomaly. I'll try to remember to check again at the first opportunity.

It's a different experience mirroring TV's with this one. As you already know, you probably won't be happy until you can get more than one H3. :)

Yes, I saw 'Resume' at least once after the program finished. I don't know whether that was SOP or an anomaly. I'll try to remember to check again at the first opportunity.
OK, thanks again. Sounds like DISH might of fixed the resume issue while recording.

I want a second Hopper 3 mostly for redundancy and timers separation. I need the modulating out to other TVs mostly for syncing recordings. The wife and I lots of times like to watch the same recording but we are in two different rooms. It would be nice if the Hopper/Joey system could do this. There are other folks in this forum that also like syncing recordings too. Sorry this has gotten off topic.

Reactions: JSheridan
I have been using modulators since 1995 and hope that they work the same as they do with the HwS. Menu/Guide full screen, programming Letterbox. But your programming look stretched. But that's on a 16:9 screen (your pics). What about on a 4:3? I trust that's what the output is set for and would look "normal".

I tested an old LCD 4:3 TV by directly connecting it with Composite cables from the 4k Joey and it is formatted correctly for 4:3. See pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.JPG
    IMG_2556.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2557.JPG
    IMG_2557.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 251

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)