Hopper 3 Low-Beam--ready to leave Dish Network after 11 years.

PlotinusRedux

Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Bentonvillle, AR
I've been with Dish for 11 years, and I really don't want to leave them. In markets that allow the Hopper 3, they're probably still the best choice. But for those of us on the edges of spot beams, we've been given the run-around for half a year now, still stuck using first Hopper that takes 3 seconds to process a remote control button push, and being told we can't have the Hopper 3.

Dish can't even get their story straight on this--the most reasonable response any of have gotten is that Hopper 3 doesn't support more than 3 antennas, and those on the edge of local spot beams require 4 antennas provided by 2 physical satellite reception disks. But like many, many others being denied the Hopper 3, I have a 3 way switch feed by a single 3-in-1 antenna with no supplemental antenna that meets all the qualifications for a Hopper 3. I *do not* have 2 physical disk antennas, not do I have 4 logical antennas, I have one physical and 3 logical, exactly what Hopper 3 requires.

There are half a million of us in NW Arkansas being told we can't have the Hopper 3. I've had no contact from DIRT on this despite repeated attempts.

I'm about ready to drop Dish Network after 11 years and go to a cable/Tivo setup. Tivo at least isn't telling me I can't buy their newest hardware.

I've been with Dish for 11 years, and I really don't want to leave them. In markets that allow the Hopper 3, they're probably still the best choice. But for those of us on the edges of spot beams, we've been given the run-around for half a year now, still stuck using first Hopper that takes 3 seconds to process a remote control button push, and being told we can't have the Hopper 3.

Dish can't even get their story straight on this--the most reasonable response any of have gotten is that Hopper 3 doesn't support more than 3 antennas, and those on the edge of local spot beams require 4 antennas provided by 2 physical satellite reception disks. But like many, many others being denied the Hopper 3, I have a 3 way switch feed by a single 3-in-1 antenna with no supplemental antenna that meets all the qualifications for a Hopper 3. I *do not* have 2 physical disk antennas, not do I have 4 logical antennas, I have one physical and 3 logical, exactly what Hopper 3 requires.

There are half a million of us in NW Arkansas being told we can't have the Hopper 3. I've had no contact from DIRT on this despite repeated attempts.

I'm about ready to drop Dish Network after 11 years and go to a cable/Tivo setup. Tivo at least isn't telling me I can't buy their newest hardware.
I am not sure if where I live if I am on a low/high spot beam. Here was my situation. My wife/I have been with Dish since 2001. In 2004, we switched to Directv, then came back to Dish, because we finally were able to get our local channels. So, we had Directv for 1 year, and we have been back with Dish ever since 2005. I finally got my wife talked into getting the Hopper 2, and we had some major problems with it. After so many PM to Dish courtesy of Facebook, Dish sent us a tech/installer, and it was the same one who hooked up the Hopper 2. He said he remembered coming here and he said he should have changed the old wiring, but really thought it would be OK. Then, he talked me into getting the Hopper 3, and low/behold we have had maybe less than 10% of the problems than with the Hopper 2. Keep trying with Dish. You might need the wires/cables changed/updated. We had all of that done, and I love the Hopper 3. Before we got the Hopper 2 and our current Hopper, I told Dish you are about lose a long term customer to Directv, again. If they value you as a customer, then they will try to keep you, and that is what they did with me.

I am not sure if where I live if I am on a low/high spot beam. Here was my situation. My wife/I have been with Dish since 2001. In 2004, we switched to Directv, then came back to Dish, because we finally were able to get our local channels. So, we had Directv for 1 year, and we have been back with Dish ever since 2005. I finally got my wife talked into getting the Hopper 2, and we had some major problems with it. After so many PM to Dish courtesy of Facebook, Dish sent us a tech/installer, and it was the same one who hooked up the Hopper 2. He said he remembered coming here and he said he should have changed the old wiring, but really thought it would be OK. Then, he talked me into getting the Hopper 3, and low/behold we have had maybe less than 10% of the problems than with the Hopper 2. Keep trying with Dish. You might need the wires/cables changed/updated. We had all of that done, and I love the Hopper 3. Before we got the Hopper 2 and our current Hopper, I told Dish you are about lose a long term customer to Directv, again. If they value you as a customer, then they will try to keep you, and that is what they did with me.

Reactions: charlesrshell
khemka,

Thank you for your offer to look into this. I have PM'ed my account information to you.
And you found that it was an ECONOMIC issue with Dish NOT a technical one. As of today, Dish does NOT want to provide (that means PAY) for multiple reflectors to support H3's nor support multiple reflectors to support multiple H3's because it increases their cost to install the system. Those of us who need to see 4 sats or want multiple H3's are awaiting the release of Dish's new multi-switch later this year that will allow H3 installs for at least 4 sats using only ONE reflector. Then Dish will officially support and pay for such multiple sat installs because the switch allowing ONE reflector makes the install economical to do so. I really do think Dish ought to offer multiple H3's today, but allow the subscriber the option of having to pay for this install cost beyond what Dish will cover or wait for the new switch. But instead people are being told, "NO!" under any circumstances and those customers start considering competitors. Is this just one of the reasons Dish can't seem to grow the number of subscribers for several YEARS now, while DirecTV has grown impressively? It is not so much the fact that Dish won't do multiple reflector installs for H3's, but that they don't properly, honestly explain why they can't do it today, but encourage people to be patient while Dish makes such installs possible in the near future. Instead, people are given the impression that they will NEVER get an H3 at Dish. Which is the better message? The fault is with the company, the message, and the messenger.

So, you are getting multiple reflectors installed at no extra cost, right? That is the only way they can make it happen today.

And you found that it was an ECONOMIC issue with Dish NOT a technical one. As of today, Dish does NOT want to provide (that means PAY) for multiple reflectors to support H3's nor support multiple reflectors to support multiple H3's because it increases their cost to install the system. Those of us who need to see 4 sats or want multiple H3's are awaiting the release of Dish's new multi-switch later this year that will allow H3 installs for at least 4 sats using only ONE reflector. Then Dish will officially support and pay for such multiple sat installs because the switch allowing ONE reflector makes the install economical to do so. I really do think Dish ought to offer multiple H3's today, but allow the subscriber the option of having to pay for this install cost beyond what Dish will cover or wait for the new switch. But instead people are being told, "NO!" under any circumstances and those customers start considering competitors. Is this just one of the reasons Dish can't seem to grow the number of subscribers for several YEARS now, while DirecTV has grown impressively? It is not so much the fact that Dish won't do multiple reflector installs for H3's, but that they don't properly, honestly explain why they can't do it today, but encourage people to be patient while Dish makes such installs possible in the near future. Instead, people are given the impression that they will NEVER get an H3 at Dish. Which is the better message? The fault is with the company, the message, and the messenger.

So, you are getting multiple reflectors installed at no extra cost, right? That is the only way they can make it happen today.
Do you have any proof of this bs you wrote

Reactions: navychop
As has been posted here before. And a technical fix may be in the works. And Dish has installed MANY 2 and maybe even 3 dish solutions. Think Internationals on 118. You really think a few bucks for stamped metal and another LNB, and even a bit more of an install, would deter Dish from embracing a new customer? Really?

Sorry you're angry at them.

It is a technical issue...

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

To clarify, it is a technical issue to install with a single dish. Will be available once we have the new switch.

It can be installed with 2 dishes, but you cannot share recordings etc...

To clarify, it is a technical issue to install with a single dish. Will be available once we have the new switch.

It can be installed with 2 dishes, but you cannot share recordings etc...

I would Imagine you couldn't swap Joeys either.

So definitely technical.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)