Hopper 3 questions ... Switching back to Dish

delaluz

Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Raleigh
I have Directv & looking at switching back to Dish (had Dish 10+ years). A couple of questions:

1) Can I order the Hopper 3 if I only have 1 TV (possibly 2). I like the idea of being able to record 3 pgms at once. I don't think you can do this with the regular hopper.

2) I think that Dish does not carry HBO. Can you get a Dish app for HBO? If so can you record on the Hopper scheduled HBO shows? If not I have an Amazon Fire stick so I can get an app for it.

3) Assuming I connect the Hopper to my TV's HDMI 1 & my Firestick to my TV's HDMI 2 can I use the Hopper's voice command remote to switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2? NOTE: this would be a great feature. I currently use my TV's remote to switch HDMI inputs. If a hopper remote voice command would do this it would make it easier for other family members to do it.

Thanks!

I have Directv & looking at switching back to Dish (had Dish 10+ years). A couple of questions:

1) Can I order the Hopper 3 if I only have 1 TV (possibly 2). I like the idea of being able to record 3 pgms at once. I don't think you can do this with the regular hopper.

2) I think that Dish does not carry HBO. Can you get a Dish app for HBO? If so can you record on the Hopper scheduled HBO shows? If not I have an Amazon Fire stick so I can get an app for it.

3) Assuming I connect the Hopper to my TV's HDMI 1 & my Firestick to my TV's HDMI 2 can I use the Hopper's voice command remote to switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2? NOTE: this would be a great feature. I currently use my TV's remote to switch HDMI inputs. If a hopper remote voice command would do this it would make it easier for other family members to do it.

Thanks!

1) The Hopper 3 can watch or record up to 16 things at the same time, 18 with an OTA adapter. Hoppers 1 and 2 can do 3 things (or five with OTA) and Hopper Duo's can do 2 things (or 4 with OTA).

2) No HBO app on the Hopper.

3) The voice part of the remote controls the Hopper and not the TV. Switching inputs on the TV is a TV function.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I just switched from Directv and the Hopper 3 is superior to Directv, no comparison! You can switch your TV inputs with the Dish 54.0 remote, I am not sure if you can do it with voice command, I don't use any voice commands. With the 54.0 remote you can teach it and copy ANY command from your original TV remote so basically you wouldn't need anymore your original TV remote.

1) Can I order the Hopper 3 if I only have 1 TV (possibly 2).

Thanks!

Yes, I have the Hopper3 with a single Den TV and use Dish Anywhere to watch on the bedroom TV. Using DA avoids the $7 charge for a Joey.

I just checked, you cannot change inputs with voice command. Like I said, to change your input with the 54.0 remote press the TV and then the Input buttons (on the side of the remote) and you can switch any of your inputs.

I just checked, you cannot change inputs with voice command. Like I said, to change your input with the 54.0 remote press the TV and then the Input buttons (on the side of the remote) and you can switch any of your inputs.
As long as in the remote settings Limited Mode is set to off

Reactions: charlesrshell
You are right, the Limited Mode ON setting is to prevent people that dont know what they are doing from accidentally changing the TV input with their remote and then call Dish to complain that their Dish is "broken".

Yes, I have the Hopper3 with a single Den TV and use Dish Anywhere to watch on the bedroom TV. Using DA avoids the $7 charge for a Joey.

What do you use to have Dish Anywhere on the TV? Connected to a laptop or mirroring a device or...? Planning on switching to Dish soon and this would be nice info for any trips to hotels away from home!

What do you use to have Dish Anywhere on the TV? Connected to a laptop or mirroring a device or...? Planning on switching to Dish soon and this would be nice info for any trips to hotels away from home!
You can use a firestick. It is great if you go out of town you can bring the firestick with you and use it. (As long as you have wifi) I do it all of the time.

In my case it is a Sony AndroidTV which is supported directly by the same app that runs on the FireTV. AFAIK you are restricted to an AndroidTV device like the FireTV/Shield or Sony TV or have to mirror from another device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)