Hopper 3 Questions

DialgaChampion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
New York
I'm planning on getting a H3 later in the year, just wanted to double-check some stuff since a lot of people here have had theirs for several months now...

- Does anyone know why the larger 1000.4 EA reflector doesn't work with the new Hybrid LNBF? Shouldn't I just be able to simply unscrew the current 61.5/72/77 LNBF that's on my 1000.4, then screw on the new Hybrid 61.5/72 model? (I know I also need the new Duo Hub, but I still just don't understand why I need to replace the dish reflector itself -- for all intents and purposes, it should be identical to the smaller 1000.2 reflector, and have nothing to do with the LNBF or the Hub, right?)

- Wanted to make sure the Hopper 3 can be purchased outright instead of going on a contract.

- Anyone know how the new voice remote that's coming out will work? Does it require the Hopper to be connected to the internet for the voice commands?

The LNB plastic mounts are different, and so are the LNB feed horns.
The EA2 isn't good with the bigger reflector.
I've tested it already.
If you want the H3, you need the 1000.2

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The H1 and H2 won't pick up any signal while connected to the new Hybrid LNB/Hub right?

Just wondering if there's any way to get to the Point Dish screen to check sat strength with the new lnb before the new H3 is activated.

The H1 and H2 won't pick up any signal while connected to the new Hybrid LNB/Hub right?

Just wondering if there's any way to get to the Point Dish screen to check sat strength with the new lnb before the new H3 is activated.

H1 and H2 work fine with the Hybrid LNB. You don't even need a node. :)

Reactions: Troch77

You can't use the receiver as a signal meter if it doesn't have any satellites downloaded from the performed check switch.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You can't use the receiver as a signal meter if it doesn't have any satellites downloaded from the performed check switch.

H1 and H2 work fine with the Hybrid LNB. You don't even need a node. :)

Well, the reason I ask about the compatibility is because I have a H1 now and I was wondering... if I replace the current 61.5/72/77 LNB with the new hybrid 61.5/72 one, and I also replace the current duo node with the new duo hub, would the H1 still work fine?

Just figuring that I could replace the lnb and node now, but keep my H1 and also use the H1's point dish screen to verify the signal from the 2 satellites while I'm realigning the reflector.

And then later in the year, I can just buy a H3 outright and everything will be good to go (dish already aligned, new lnb attached, node already replaced with hub).

You can't just replace the current 1000.4 LNB with a Hybrid LNB.
You need a new Dish.
You need the 1000.2 dish.

Also yes the H1 will work with the Hybrid.
I'm not sure what all your equipment is, But yes a Duo Hub is just fine.

As far as peaking the dish, I'm not sure if your Hopper will recognize the Hybrid LNB, without running a check switch.
And you won't have any successful results if you run a check switch on satellite that's not aimed.

The 211 is the only receiver I've ever had success peaking a dish without a signal meter.

You are going to have nothing but issues if you change your dish out, without a satellite meter.
If your system is working fine, you won't gain anything with the Hybrid.
If you want an H3 and can afford to spend $500 + on 1.2kEA Dish, Hybrid LNB, Hub, and H3,
Then spend another $200-300 on a used Super Buddy 29 Satellite meter.
Or just let Dish do it.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

H3 can be bought outright for $229. You still won't hit $500 with everything else. Be warned the H3 isn't all that great. Lots of bugs and not really that different from a HWS other than more tuners.

H3 can be bought outright for $229. You still won't hit $500 with everything else. Be warned the H3 isn't all that great. Lots of bugs and not really that different from a HWS other than more tuners.

Sounds like somebody who doesn't have an H3 yet. :)

The H3 is much, much faster, it does 4K, it has 4 screen MultiView and has many more features and capabilities than the HWS. And of course, 16 tuners.

Reactions: stimpson and Psikic

The H3 is much, much faster, it does 4K, it has 4 screen MultiView and has many more features and capabilities than the HWS. And of course, 16 tuners.
I have nothing against the upgrade to the H3, but to buy everything thats needed in this case outright, is dumb.
I don't understand the extremes people go to avoid a commitment.
When the equipment people are buying only work with DISH anyway.

Why invest $230 minimum and I mean Minimum just to not subscribe to Dish.
I know I'll never buy someone's owned used Dish equipment.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I have nothing against the upgrade to the H3, but to buy everything thats needed in this case outright, is dumb.
I don't understand the extremes people go to avoid a commitment.
When the equipment people are buying only work with DISH anyway.

Why invest $230 minimum and I mean Minimum just to not subscribe to Dish.
I know I'll never buy someone's owned used Dish equipment.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I wasn't saying anything about buying anything. I was quoting and replying to somebody else about a different point altogether.

I wasn't saying anything about buying anything. I was quoting somebody else about a different point altogether.
I know, I was just pointing out that I'm not sure all this trouble the TS is encountering is worth an H3 setup.
A Dish upgrade, sure go nuts.
But for Single room operation H3 is way overkill.
It's not that practical.
The speed difference is minimal.
Camero ss vs Corvette.

I have a 4 room system with 6 tuners, Rarely do I have a need for 2 more tuners, Let alone 10.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I'll keep my two functioning fine HWS units, thank you. Their 4x FF works, as well as OTA. Not the bugs that still haunt the H3.
Actually my H2s are doing much better then before .
With U206.
No corrupt recordings was the big one.
And now I can exit apps without black box on the screen.
And finally the signal meter isn't buggy, and moca finally reads accurately.

The guide still has the RSN bug, and still no PTA sharing.
Also I've noticed the Joeys sometimes for some reason or another link themselves to the other Hopper on occasion.
But Netflix works across the board with no issues.

I'm just undecided to what happens with the future pricing. If H3 says $15, I may upgrade before my contract ends, But if they try and implement another Fee, like what could be first receiver fee, Then I'll stick with my setup.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Yeah I just decided to make crap up because I'm bored. Try again Sherlock. I do have a H3 which is why I can say I wish I waited. All the features you describe I don't use and the ones I do don't work correctly yet. Only thing that I do like is the 16 tuners but dish screwed up the timers so bad I constantly have issues with them. I'm really concerned with 4K content when there is next to none out there.... The jacked up fee is also a nice feature in your world I suppose. I am dumber for even reading your post...

Yeah I just decided to make crap up because I'm bored. Try again Sherlock. I do have a H3 which is why I can say I wish I waited. All the features you describe I don't use and the ones I do don't work correctly yet. Only thing that I do like is the 16 tuners but dish screwed up the timers so bad I constantly have issues with them. I'm really concerned with 4K content when there is next to none out there.... The jacked up fee is also a nice feature in your world I suppose. I am dumber for even reading your post...

You don't have to be so damn nasty while defending your minority opinion. Go take your medicine.

I know, I was just pointing out that I'm not sure all this trouble the TS is encountering is worth an H3 setup.
A Dish upgrade, sure go nuts.
But for Single room operation H3 is way overkill.
It's not that practical.
The speed difference is minimal.
Camero ss vs Corvette.

I have a 4 room system with 6 tuners, Rarely do I have a need for 2 more tuners, Let alone 10.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Thanks for your opinion, most of which I disagree with. :)

I have a single H3 and while I don't use more than 5 tuners at a time very often, I do on some occasions. The fact that I never have to even consider or worry about a tuner contention is great! The speed difference is night and day different.

If you actually had one you would then have a better basis to make informed, vice uninformed opinions...

Thanks for your opinion, most of which I disagree with. :)

I have a single H3 and while I don't use more than 5 tuners at a time very often, I do on some occasions. The fact that I never have to even consider or worry about a tuner contention is great! The speed difference is night and day different.

If you actually had one you would then have a better basis to make informed, vice uninformed opinions...
Trust me I used an H3 long enough to know it's not much faster at all compared to a HWS.
Most of the Features differences are minimal at best. Things most customers could care less about.

DIRECTV and Tivo have 4,5,6 tuners and customers aren't rushing out to subscribe to the H3.
Lipstick on a pig IMO

DIRECTV, their technology allows customers to add additional HRs leased.
Dish allowed 2 leased Hoppers only, now wonder they had so many complaints by family's that were 4 or more.
You Mr Parsons are a unique situation, most 1 room homes are not recording 16 things at the same time.
I had 11 tuners with Directv and the most my family of 4 ever recorded at once was 6 shows at the same time.

I've had 2 opportunities to upgrade to the H3 for free, and turned it down twice.
Sure lots of the tech savvy guys always demand far more than needed.
But as a current customer, I'm not 100% sold.
Dish still didn't net a customer with 2 full months of the released H3.
There are far more things Dish could have invested in their business then The H3.
A simple restructuring of their Hopper fees, and a technology that would have allowed more expansion for the larger family's that didn't cost a customer hundreds of dollars upfront, and Additional monthly lease fees.

The H2s are Very good machines.
Why not invest back into our programming, or how about capacity. How about less disputes that don't come right down to the wire on what seems to be a monthly basis.

Believe me the H3 is nice, and if 4K is your thing, you have no choice.
But the HWS's are fast, and a receiver can only perform so fast.
Maybe you guys had something wrong with your H2s.
You guys all said the same thing about the H1 and H2, I had them side by side for 6 months, and IMO the performed identically.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Trust me I used an H3 long enough to know it's not much faster at all compared to a HWS.
Most of the Features differences are minimal at best. Things most customers could care less about.
DIRECTV and Tivo have 4,5,6 tuners and they aren't rushing out to subscribe to the H3.
DIRECTV, their technology allows customers to add additional HRs leased.
Dish allowed 2 leased Hoppers only, now wonder they had so many complaints by family's that were 4 or more.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Since I have direct experience with the changeover from my HWS to the H3, I don't think I will trust you on the speed issue. Especially since it is the first thing people commented positively when they first hit the street. Usually followed by noting the HDPQ was better.

TiVo is struggling as they try to figure out how to keep their doors open in case you hadn't noticed.

D* is in the process of bringing out something to replacing the old tech they now have. Lots of conjecture and guessing about what it might end up being. Hopefully att won't let them just yet again gussy up the sow's ear.

And while you can add many non-genies hr's to an installation, you can only have one Genie. A multiple HR plus one Genie is. Royal PITA to deal with as you shuffle around the house picking one to put a time on because the Genie is out of tuners. Been there done that.

The extra features that you seem to think don't matter, very well do matter to many of us. For me the 4K support was the biggie, plus the additional tuners. Note that I can do 4K without having to use a 2nd box because the main one doesn't actually do 4K. And I don't get to pay an extra fee for that 2nd box.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)