Hopper 3 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nicmartim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
SE Nebraska
Hey all, I right on the verge of agreeing to a pretty nicely priced upgrade from the ViP722k to the Hopper 3. I have been in communication w/ a DIRT member here and she has been a trooper answering all of my questions. Now I have technical questions and who better to ask then the enthusiasts? Right now I have my 722k setup HDMI out to my Sony receiver and TV2 out via coax to both my bedroom and the basement TV via a splitter along the out feed (in the attic I think). Anyway, the price in the price I was quoted I am unsure whether there is a Joey involved or not (I have asked for clarification).

First question, how does the signal from the Hopper base get to the Joey? Coax or ethernet?

Second, can a feed be duplicated between my 2 TVs? I am trying to limit the bill to near what I am now. Joeys are $7/mo and with the price increase, I dont want to end up too far out of line from where I am now.

Last question (at least for now). Can I transfer my recorded events to my external HDD (already attached to the 722) and transfer them to the Hopper when it get here? I assume the external HDD permission follows on the account level, not the device level. Also along the same lines, I have the sling adapter for my 722k, will I need it for anything going forward? Same question for the OTA module I put in the 722k. Keep it? Need it?

Thanks all in advance!!!

communication to joey is via coax
mirroring to a second TV as you are now via coax would require you to purchase an RF modulator - no coax out on hopper 3
HDD - yes
that's all I can answer...

Hey all, I right on the verge of agreeing to a pretty nicely priced upgrade from the ViP722k to the Hopper 3. I have been in communication w/ a DIRT member here and she has been a trooper answering all of my questions. Now I have technical questions and who better to ask then the enthusiasts? Right now I have my 722k setup HDMI out to my Sony receiver and TV2 out via coax to both my bedroom and the basement TV via a splitter along the out feed (in the attic I think). Anyway, the price in the price I was quoted I am unsure whether there is a Joey involved or not (I have asked for clarification).

First question, how does the signal from the Hopper base get to the Joey? Coax or ethernet?

Second, can a feed be duplicated between my 2 TVs? I am trying to limit the bill to near what I am now. Joeys are $7/mo and with the price increase, I dont want to end up too far out of line from where I am now.

Last question (at least for now). Can I transfer my recorded events to my external HDD (already attached to the 722) and transfer them to the Hopper when it get here? I assume the external HDD permission follows on the account level, not the device level. Also along the same lines, I have the sling adapter for my 722k, will I need it for anything going forward? Same question for the OTA module I put in the 722k. Keep it? Need it?

Thanks all in advance!!!
As far as the sling and ota adapters you won't have a use for them anymore, the hopper 3 has sling built in and the Hopper 3 uses an ota usb dongle as the adapter for it

also you would loose tv2, but you can mirror the main output of the hopper 3
our 722k setup use to have tv2 sent to all tv locations on channel 58, then they could all join in say joint viewing, or have a box at the location for something different. also the tv2 could watch something different without a separate box,

the 722k drive should transfer, mine did and everything is seen.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)