Hopper 3 reboot loop during OD movie

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
New customer since May 2023. Hopper 3 and two Joey 3's. Was watching an OD movie, and in the first 15 minutes, it froze and eventually screen went blank and after about 2-3 minutes rebooted. Got back in and tried to watch it again, but wouldn't let me restart or resume (again screen goes blank/reboots after about 3 minutes)... third time I just tried to piddle around through some menus, and going through the guide and bam, reboot again. I tried the listed troubleshooting steps (unplugging, cable check, etc.)
I also verified my internet was solid (google fiber) and yes it is. Called Dish support and spoke to a drone who walked me through diags, all checked green, good there.
I told here my OD movie was still showing "downloading" after 1.5 hours of starting it. DL speeds were averaging 180-200 mbs, etc. She had me go to another diag screen to test connections and my dl speed there shows 170-180mbs. She said the problem was that my internet was too slow!? I am a LAN tech. My cables are cat 6 and my internet is google fiber and I know it's a solid connection with speed and quality. So of course I laid into her. She wanted to put me on hold for another 2 minutes and I just hung up.
Now I've unplugged the Hopper for about 10 minutes and so far no reboots but changing channels in the guide can sometimes take 10-15 seconds to change. Normally it's always been instant.
Up until a few minutes ago my OD movie (D&D:honor...) was still showing downloading but now it is not.
Can anyone make any sense of this? I know I have a brand new receiver, I watched the tech unbox it and he showed me it was a new receiver.

New customer since May 2023. Hopper 3 and two Joey 3's. Was watching an OD movie, and in the first 15 minutes, it froze and eventually screen went blank and after about 2-3 minutes rebooted. Got back in and tried to watch it again, but wouldn't let me restart or resume (again screen goes blank/reboots after about 3 minutes)... third time I just tried to piddle around through some menus, and going through the guide and bam, reboot again. I tried the listed troubleshooting steps (unplugging, cable check, etc.)
I also verified my internet was solid (google fiber) and yes it is. Called Dish support and spoke to a drone who walked me through diags, all checked green, good there.
I told here my OD movie was still showing "downloading" after 1.5 hours of starting it. DL speeds were averaging 180-200 mbs, etc. She had me go to another diag screen to test connections and my dl speed there shows 170-180mbs. She said the problem was that my internet was too slow!? I am a LAN tech. My cables are cat 6 and my internet is google fiber and I know it's a solid connection with speed and quality. So of course I laid into her. She wanted to put me on hold for another 2 minutes and I just hung up.
Now I've unplugged the Hopper for about 10 minutes and so far no reboots but changing channels in the guide can sometimes take 10-15 seconds to change. Normally it's always been instant.
Up until a few minutes ago my OD movie (D&D:honor...) was still showing downloading but now it is not.
Can anyone make any sense of this? I know I have a brand new receiver, I watched the tech unbox it and he showed me it was a new receiver.
Then you would agree that freeze-ups and reboots typically come from memory issues, like overloading the memory. Whether it's software or more likely hardware, I'd say it's time for a new Hopper 3 although you could try doing a Reset in the Tools menu. A full factory reset will clear you recordings, timers, etc. There is a different level reset in there but I can't remember what it's called. Someone will chime in here soon, I'm sure

It doesn't seem right that I'd need a new hopper 3 when the one I got two months ago was new out of the box.
Side question. What does the 'reset' button on the panel do? Does it wipe any recordings or timers? I can't find clear documentation on this but I assume it's the same thing as unplugging and plugging the hopper 3 back in? Can someone elaborate on this reset vs one in the settings menu?

It doesn't seem right that I'd need a new hopper 3 when the one I got two months ago was new out of the box.
Side question. What does the 'reset' button on the panel do? Does it wipe any recordings or timers? I can't find clear documentation on this but I assume it's the same thing as unplugging and plugging the hopper 3 back in? Can someone elaborate on this reset vs one in the settings menu?
Well, your first mistake is assuming that it’s new out of the box. It may be out of the box, but very few receivers are not refurbished. As a matter fact, I can’t think of the last time I saw a receiver, other than the new ones that came out with the hopper plus system, that wasn’t a refurb.

The reset button is just a soft reboot. It’s like restart on a computer. The same thing in settings, if you go to tools where it says restart hopper, it’s just a soft restart. Unplugging it is again, like on a computer, where you just hold down the power button to do a hard reboot. Deeper in the tools menu are factory resets what is a complete factory reset and the other one, I just can’t remember what it’s called, but I would try that one and see if it clears the issue you’re having.

Let me post the notes directly from DISH Chat on Facebook which would explain what each type of reset does as I used it to do the partial non-destructive reset:

Hit Home button three times, then select Tools which will have three (3) options:
1) A Partial Reset resets everything but DVR recordings and timers to factory defaults. It will reset all of your files except for DVR/Timer Databases.

2) Reset Receiver to Factory Defaults - It will reset your DISH receiver, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or YouTube to its original settings but does not touch timers or DVR recordings.

3) Master resets everything including the Recordings and timers to factory defaults which means all data is destroyed.

The front reset button is closer to the reset button on a computer while the power cord pull is closer to unplugging the computer from actual power so the capacitors and everything else has time to discharge which is why it should be done for atleast 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

Let me post the notes directly from DISH Chat on Facebook which would explain what each type of reset does as I used it to do the partial non-destructive reset:

Hit Home button three times, then select Tools which will have three (3) options:
1) A Partial Reset resets everything but DVR recordings and timers to factory defaults. It will reset all of your files except for DVR/Timer Databases.

2) Reset Receiver to Factory Defaults - It will reset your DISH receiver, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or YouTube to its original settings but does not touch timers or DVR recordings.

3) Master resets everything including the Recordings and timers to factory defaults which means all data is destroyed.

The front reset button is closer to the reset button on a computer while the power cord pull is closer to unplugging the computer from actual power so the capacitors and everything else has time to discharge which is why it should be done for atleast 30 seconds before plugging it back in.
That's great info, thanks!

Front Reset Button stuff I just learned yesterday. YMMV on if this is accurate or not

Quick push of Red Button - soft reboot
Hold down Red Button - Hard Reboot
Hold Down Power Button - Hard Reset/clears memory and background processes
Unplug - just as Almighty1 posted

Front Reset Button stuff I just learned yesterday. YMMV on if this is accurate or not

Quick push of Red Button - soft reboot
Hold down Red Button - Hard Reboot
Hold Down Power Button - Hard Reset/clears memory and background processes
Unplug - just as Almighty1 posted
I tried the Hold Down Power Button, saw the Check Switch Status and it even updated the guide data and said not to access the DVR recordings and set timers until after it's completed but I noticed it did record the timer which was only a few minutes after it was saying that and still at 25%, so atleast it was non-destructive on the recordings and timers. I'll try the Hold down Red Button the next time and see what happens.

I tried the Hold Down Power Button, saw the Check Switch Status and it even updated the guide data and said not to access the DVR recordings and set timers until after it's completed but I noticed it did record the timer which was only a few minutes after it was saying that and still at 25%, so atleast it was non-destructive on the recordings and timers. I'll try the Hold down Red Button the next time and see what happens.
When holding down the power button what does it mean to clear memory and background processes?
Are there any button resets that deletes timers and other settings (ie: factory default)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts