Hopper 3 reset issue

cb2367

Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
West Virginia
I recently had dish send me a replacement Hopper to attempt to resolve an issue I frequently experienced with the old Hopper.

What's happening is this... I'll bring up the guide and find a program to watch. I'll select it, but the Hopper doesn't respond. Eventually, I see the screen go black and the Hopper resets itself. The display comes back and it shows that 0 of 0 tuners are in use.

Programming is restored, but in a small box in the upper right corner. The rest of the screen is black. I get the full screen screen back by pressing the view live TV button on the remote.

Most recently, I was watching the FYI network when without having touched the remote, I was all the sudden viewing the CBS network. When I tried to switch to another channel, the Hopper reset itself as I have described.

So, that's two Hoppers now and both have faced the same issue. The Hopper is plugged directly into the wall. All connections on the back are tight. The last time a tech came out, it appeared that someone had tampered with the cables in my apartment complex's equipment room. The cables were fixed. According to the Hopper diagnostic tests, signal levels are fine.

What is causing the issue I am experiencing and how can it be resolved?

Obviously a apartment complex issue, regardless of what the tech said. Some go for the quick fix instead of spending the time to thoroughly diagnose the problem. I would complain to the complex owner, FWIW!

So what makes this an apartment complex issue?

My complex is new and therefore, no existing Dish service was present before I got service. As is the case with most apartment complexes, it's wired for cable TV but I was able to get Dish service.

So what makes this an apartment complex issue?
it's wired for cable TV but I was able to get Dish service.
You sort of answered your question. Cable configurations/hardware are not sure to marry with those required by Sat, let alone the differences between the Sat Co's.

You sort of answered your question. Cable configurations/hardware are not sure to marry with those required by Sat, let alone the differences between the Sat Co's.

My dish configuration is setup alongside the box for cable TV. It's got it's own power and it's own coax connection. I'm the only one in my apartment building that has dish service.