Hopper 3 signal and screeching noise issue.

kdwag1999

Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
New albany Indiana
So I have my hopper 3 from dish and had a satellite installed. Well everything worked for awhile till this last week. I've been having severe signal issues ill constantly get complete signal loss or channel signal loss or error satellite signal loses satellite acquisition in progress. I've called dish they have sent out a tech. The tech said there is no issues with my signal my hopper 3 has been replaced and I'm still having issues. I ended up re aligning my own satellite dish to get a better signal strength because the tech wouldn't do it. I'm now getting better signal strength but still having the same signal issues and codes. Idk what else to do any suggestions? My DVR is also making a screeching sound every now and then to.

As for the screeching sound, there are only 2 moving parts in the Hopper: the hard drive and the fan. If the sound is coming from the box itself it is probably the fan which really should not be running that often if the receiver is in an open area with good circulation. Ever since I go my first ViP622 I have had a low speed fan pulling the hot air out of my receivers on the exit air side - haveny had a failure in over 13 years.

If it is the hard drive you should begin noticing errors in seeking and recording pretty soon but hard drives usually click when they are failing - screeching from a hard drive is realllllly serious and usually happens only after the drive has crashed.

As for the signal, is the dish warped or might there be tree limbs that occasionally are blown into the microwave path of the signal?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Screeching noise is caused by a short. Which will also explain signal issues. Tech shouldn't of replaced receiver. It's going to be one of three things, a connector end has a piece of braiding/ground wire touching the center conductor or there's water damaged connectors outside or a broken/chewed up cable. You can confirm thus yourself just by visually inspecting everything but you definitely need a tech to come back out.

You can also verify a shorted cable by removing the coax from back of receiver and see if the screeching noise stops.

Reactions: charlesrshell