Hopper 3 - signal strength - change transponder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

grc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
USA
Okay folks, I don't have a meter, and have always just used the signal strength screen to aim the dish. Moved over to San Antonio today, set up the tripod, turned on the Hopper three to the signal strength screen and it won't let me change the transponder - it is stuck on T6. I don't think there is a signal on that transponder??? I've always used a transponder in the higher teens for aiming the dish.

1. Am I correct that there is nothing on transponder 6/119?
2. Can anyone tell me how to change the transponder on the Signal Srength screen? (rebooting doesn't help)

Thanks.

There is nothing on transponder 6 on 119, not that you can see anyway.

Go to the Diagnostics page, hit Home 3 times. Go down to Dish, change Satellite to something other than 119 for a minute then go back to 119. Now change Transponder to 21. I get a 73 when I look at that transponder.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There is nothing on transponder 6 on 119, not that you can see anyway.

Go to the Diagnostics page, hit Home 3 times. Go down to Dish, change Satellite to something other than 119 for a minute then go back to 119. Now change Transponder to 21. I get a 73 when I look at that transponder.
Thanks for the reply - however, at this point it insists on T6.

I hate it when I "fix" something and don't know what I did. Related or not to the problem:
  1. I disconnected and reconnected all coax fittings
  2. I ran check switch and when it said there were less satellites (actually none) I accepted it
  3. I moved the dish a tiny bit (for the 100th time)
  4. I ran check switch several times, and then, all the sudden it found all three satellites
  5. I then could change transponders, and confirm reception on all the birds
All the above, none of the above, who knows?

I hate it when I "fix" something and don't know what I did. Related or not to the problem:
  1. I disconnected and reconnected all coax fittings
  2. I ran check switch and when it said there were less satellites (actually none) I accepted it
  3. I moved the dish a tiny bit (for the 100th time)
  4. I ran check switch several times, and then, all the sudden it found all three satellites
  5. I then could change transponders, and confirm reception on all the birds
All the above, none of the above, who knows?
I was pointing a Viasat Dish yesterday. Those Dishes Beep in a heartbeat pattern until you get into the beam. Then the pattern will change briefly until, as you continue to adust up and down, sweeping left and right, the beeping will sound something like an alarm sound so you know you have locked onto the Sat.

Anyway, I couldn't get that lock, although the pattern break for being in the beam was happening so I ended up stopping right where the heartbeat pattern was "breaking", went in and rebooted the modem and when I went back outside, I was locked on the Satellite.

Another chapter to the story: we had to move the RV out of our site, then brought it back a few hours later. I left the dish set up - left it undisturbed. When I came back, hooked the coax up, and had the exact same problem: stuck on transponder 6, no satellite signal reported. Rebooted a couple of times, fooled with various combinations of leaving the screen and coming back - stuff like that. After a half hour, I did what I had been doing again and again and suddenly, I had all three satellites.

I'm starting to blame the Hopper 3 itself. Any thoughts?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts