Hopper 3 upgrade questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also, who got Dish first? If you originally had the dish installed and not your neighbor then you can upgrade and force your neighbor to do so also regardless of what they want. If your neighbor was first then you would need to talk to them first.

The installers don't know who is connected to the dishes they encounter, unfortunately. Last installer who was here had to knock on doors. They have no data on who installed first

Reactions: david_jr
The installers don't know who is connected to the dishes they encounter, unfortunately. Last installer who was here had to knock on doors. They have no data on who installed first

Either way dish does have commercial splitters and power adapters so they can run a whole apartment building on a single dish so they should have a way to make it work. They might have to send an official dish employee and not from a tied-party retailer.

Either way dish does have commercial splitters and power adapters so they can run a whole apartment building on a single dish so they should have a way to make it work. They might have to send an official dish employee and not from a tied-party retailer.

That would be great. Directv already has their single dish D2 Lite system in there, we just need Dish to do something similar

Reactions: littlecloud319
Just to clarify, the Wally and the Hopper are not in the same family. The Wally and the 211 are, being both single tuner non DVRs. The DRM restriction comes from the non DVR portion. The content has not been paid for as a recording option. That is why you can seamlessly go from a 612 and above to any Hopper from the same account, but solo non DVRs cannot.
That's the first time I've ever heard of such an explanation.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Can I stream Netflix over the 2.0 Joey? I remember we used to be able to bridge the Joeys for internet access but it's been awhile since I've had one. Are they still MoCA or all wifi now?

I guess you're welcome then.
I find it implausible.

The ability to move an EHD from receiver to receiver on the same account is allowed.

The 211 would be on the same paying account and the $40 was paid for access to the process.

Lack of a DVR fee does not mean DRM isn't in compliance. The 211 EHD can be moved from one 211 to another 211.

The only difference is that the actual software for the DVR is on the EHD for the 211/Wally and it is on the internal drive on other VIP/Hopper receivers.

Well, maybe not the only difference since the recordings folder may be different, we haven't confirmed that recordings on the 211 are or are not in a DishArc folder.

It would seem to be double the work for Dish not to use at least similar recording methods for both type of DRVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
Lack of a DVR fee does not mean DRM isn't in compliance. The 211 EHD can be moved from one 211 to another 211.
My first thought was that the monthly fee that is paid for DVR service includes some portion that "covers" DRM. I doubt that though.... If it's the case, the 211/Wally or other non-DVR models are non-compliant and the content providers would have already sued Dish over this.

The only difference is that the actual software for the DVR is on the EHD for the 211/Wally
No, it's not. Well, I can't say this for a fact, but it's really unlikely to have operating system related software installed on an external drive.

It would seem to be double the work for Dish not to use at least similar recording methods for both type of DRVs.
Very true. It's not even the "method" they would use. All that should matter is the storage format.

Well the installer is here and has to put up another dish. No way to do the H3 and my neighbor's 722 on the same dish. He said they can put in a switch for multiple H3's but not older receivers.

Well the installer is here and has to put up another dish. No way to do the H3 and my neighbor's 722 on the same dish. He said they can put in a switch for multiple H3's but not older receivers.

If he connects the dish to a DPP44 and then chains that to a DPH42 it will work.

2 dishes is usually better when practical but the above 2 switches will work, I've done it. :)

It might even work with just a DPH42.

You may be right, but he says it is impossible

He needs to study up:

upload_2017-7-24_16-16-38.png

I hate to say it, but most of the people on this forum are probably more knowledgeable than this guy. And this guy works for Dish corporate, he's not a sub. It probably involves more work than he feels like doing.

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)