Hopper 3: upgrade this week causing spontaneous power/video losses

snissen

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2006
southern MN
Was there a new Hopper 3 upgrade, maybe Saturday or Sunday (Oct 8/9)? Starting Sunday, every few minutes (but not on a regular schedule), my Hopper 3 either powers off (or so it appears), or does something to the HDMI TV connection such that the TV says there is no signal in that input so the TV powers off. In both cases, pushing the appropriate power button (DVR or TV) on the remote immediately restores the service.

This is really annoying when I'm watching TV, but if it happens when I'm not around but am recording on the DVR, I'm going to be extremely unhappy.

I replaced the HDMI cable, which made no difference. Besides, the DVR powering itself off has nothing to do with the HDMI cable.

Is anyone else having this problem suddenly in the last few days? If this is a known problem, please point me to a related discussion. Is this just a bad upgrade, or should I actually call DISH for service? This Hopper 3 has performed very well since I got it in June; this is the first serious problem I've had.

Even more annoying: If I'm watching a recorded program and the Hopper 3 powers down, the remote power button turns it back on, but showing live TV, so I have to find the recording I was watching and Resume it. Yes, I know that's simple to do, but it's more than just a one-button-push to restore.

Having a similar problem for the last several months. Tried new HDMI cable, different inputs on Vizio TV, many reboots (red button and unplug), etc. with no change.. Vizio even changed the main board inside the TV! The s/w is currently U322 but the problem also was present on the prior version.

ERSanders:
Does this interfere with your recordings too, or only with your viewing?
Have you called DISH support about this? If so, what did they say?

Was there a new Hopper 3 upgrade, maybe Saturday or Sunday (Oct 8/9)? Starting Sunday, every few minutes (but not on a regular schedule), my Hopper 3 either powers off (or so it appears), or does something to the HDMI TV connection such that the TV says there is no signal in that input so the TV powers off. In both cases, pushing the appropriate power button (DVR or TV) on the remote immediately restores the service.

This is really annoying when I'm watching TV, but if it happens when I'm not around but am recording on the DVR, I'm going to be extremely unhappy.

I replaced the HDMI cable, which made no difference. Besides, the DVR powering itself off has nothing to do with the HDMI cable.

Is anyone else having this problem suddenly in the last few days? If this is a known problem, please point me to a related discussion. Is this just a bad upgrade, or should I actually call DISH for service? This Hopper 3 has performed very well since I got it in June; this is the first serious problem I've had.

Have you tried connecting component cables and unhooking the HDMI?

Snissen, Yes and yes. Dish has sent a tech out several times resulting in new HDMI cable, alternate inputs on TV, replaced LNBA (and maybe the node... not sure). Glad I got the service warranty!

Honestly I think (without any proof whatsoever) it might be an incompatibility with the HDMI standard between the H3 and the Vizio TV. I have been told that the video PWBA in the TV is common among many TV manufacturers, kinda like the air bag in your car.

Have you tried connecting component cables and unhooking the HDMI?

It took me a couple of days to try this, but I have now switched to component input, and the problems are exactly the same: spontaneous powering off of either the TV (with a message about "no input detected"), or the Hopper 3 (no message).

To this point, none of my recordings appear to be affected. These problems only apply when I'm watching.

BTW, I get my sound through a home audio system via a digital optical cable from the Hopper 3. The audio never drops out when the TV powers off, but does quit when the Hopper 3 powers off (as you'd expect).

Last edited:
That eliminates the HDMI as a possible cause.

Poltergeist? Neighbor messing with you thru the window? :biggrin:biggrin

Snissen, Yes and yes. Dish has sent a tech out several times resulting in new HDMI cable, alternate inputs on TV, replaced LNBA (and maybe the node... not sure). Glad I got the service warranty!

Honestly I think (without any proof whatsoever) it might be an incompatibility with the HDMI standard between the H3 and the Vizio TV. I have been told that the video PWBA in the TV is common among many TV manufacturers, kinda like the air bag in your car.

Don't blame the Vizio; mine is a beautiful Sony Bravia XBR49X830C television.

That eliminates the HDMI as a possible cause.

Poltergeist? Neighbor messing with you thru the window? :biggrin:biggrin

You know, I wondered about this, but I thought it was a crazy idea. It's not crazy?

My TV is on a stand about 6ft offset from my big living room window, with the Hopper 3 on a shelf inside the open-front TV stand. (The stand is angled such that the TV and Hopper face only my chair, not the window or any neighbor's walls.) I live in a townhouse development, quadplexes, but with no other units in a direct line of sight from this window.

What kind of physical arrangement does it take for a really "remote" remote control to interfere with my electronics?

You know, I wondered about this, but I thought it was a crazy idea. It's not crazy?

My TV is on a stand about 6ft offset from my big living room window, with the Hopper 3 on a shelf inside the open-front TV stand. I live in a townhouse development, quadplexes, but with no other units in a direct line of sight from this window.

What kind of physical arrangement does it take for a really "remote" remote control to interfere with my electronics?

You could try turning off IR in the Hopper to see if that helps.

My TV and Hopper 3 plug into a 750VA UPS, so though it's a good idea, I don't think the electrical circuit is the source of my problems.

I disabled IR in the Hopper; it was on so I could use my old remote when I first got the Hopper 3.

For 3 hours, I've been using a component input (with HDMI unplugged) and IR disabled, with no spontaneous power downs or input switching. I'll keep monitoring and report back in a couple of days, after doing a little more testing. (For example, changing back to HDMI input.)

My deepest thanks to JSheridan and ERSanders for sticking with me through this ordeal. Sande

For 3 hours, I've been using a component input (with HDMI unplugged) and IR disabled, with no spontaneous power downs or input switching. I'll keep monitoring and report back in a couple of days, after doing a little more testing. (For example, changing back to HDMI input.)

For about 6 hours now, the HDMI input has been reconnected and in control, with no spontaneous surprises.

So, unless something changes, it was all down to errant IR signals from who knows where.

I hope this information helps someone else. Sande

For about 6 hours now, the HDMI input has been reconnected and in control, with no spontaneous surprises.

So, unless something changes, it was all down to errant IR signals from who knows where.

I hope this information helps someone else. Sande

Trying it with IR OFF... let's see.