Hopper 3 users...how is the new 52.0 remote vs. the old 40.0?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Worse then DVD gone. What bugs me is how many of us here connect the H3 directly to the TV without going through some sort of AVR receiver? Yes, there is CEC but I don't want my TV turning on when I put my Denon in Internet Radio mode or to play my turntable vinyl records, so I have CEC turned off. So without CEC, the 52.0 remote has an on/off button for the TV and SAT.. Where is the On/OFF button for the AVR (AUX) receiver. The supports it because in the setup it asks which device (TV or AUX) should the volume button control.

I hate when they mess with something that's not broken, on the other hand I can see there point because when I had guests stay over they didn't have a clue what to do with the remote.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
GOOD! :D ;)

Worse then DVD gone. What bugs me is how many of us here connect the H3 directly to the TV without going through some sort of AVR receiver? Yes, there is CEC but I don't want my TV turning on when I put my Denon in Internet Radio mode or to play my turntable vinyl records, so I have CEC turned off. So without CEC, the 52.0 remote has an on/off button for the TV and SAT.. Where is the On/OFF button for the AVR (AUX) receiver. The supports it because in the setup it asks which device (TV or AUX) should the volume button control.
When you push the Aux button, pressing the On/Off button, not the TV button, will turn on, and off, the AVR provided you set it up in the remote menu. After the AVR turns on, you press the Sat button to turn on your Hopper.

Not only did my installer NOT take my remote, but asked if I needed an extra 40.0 remote, which I said "Sure I do!".

This was the installers first H3, and the area supervisor even came by to make sure everything was up to par. Because I had been reading on this forum, I was able to dispel many wrong statements, like you couldn't pair a 52.0 and a 40.0 remote, or the 40.0 wouldn't work on the H3. When I showed them that it would they just looked and said, "Good to know.".

I like both remotes, and have been trying to use the 52.0, but I keep going back to the 40.0. What no one has said in this thread is that the 52.0 is made for RIGHT handed people. If you are left handed the side buttons can't be easily pressed, and you keep pressing them with the side of your palm. So the alternative it to use your right hand, which if you are left handed is a problem. To get the idea grab any remote and try using it with your left hand and see what I mean.

I also like the colored buttons, and the PIP. I can do everything with the 40.0 that the 52.0 does, but the 52.0 will not do everything the 40.0 will. I miss the DVD button as i use it for my Blu-Ray player, and love it. Now if I watch a BD and use the 52.0 I have to pull out the BD remote or the 40.0.

I too wish the new 52.0 had a back light. The H3 is in my theater room and it is very dark in there, even at noon, so a back light would be a god send. I know they think a back light would cause the battery to go down faster, but why not put a switch on it? I have an old Mitsubishi TV remote that has a switch that turns the back light on or off. If switched to on, the lights only come on when a key is pressed, or if you press it on the side first. If switched to off, it becomes like a regular remote, and remains dark. Your choice. I keep it on all the time and really the batteries don't run down that much faster than when switched to off.

Another thing that I found odd is that on the 40.0 I can turn on Receiver with the AUX button, then press the 9 key and switch to my DVR mode and begin watching TV. with the 52.0 pressing 9 doesn't switch it to DVR like the 40.0 does, maybe I have the wrong code, I'll have to check.

Anyway. I'm in the 40.0 fan after about two weeks of the 52, but hey things change.

I ran into a usability issue with the 52.0 last night. I was watching a recorded show and tried to press the skip forward button to jump through the commercial break. My fat fingers accidentally also pressed the channel up button which is adjacent. All of a sudden my playback stops and I'm watching live TV with a confused look on my face. :confused:\ This never happens on the 40.0 since the channel buttons are quite separated from the skip buttons. Hopefully Dish can put in a software fix to ignore channel up when playing back a DVR event.

From an ergonomic standpoint, I also notice that the 52.0 buttons all feel the same making it hard to use without looking. The 40.0 DVR button has a ridge on it and the skip buttons are separated from the others so I can tell when my thumb is in the right place without looking. Guess it's time to design the 52.1! :D

After a week of using the 52.0 remote I've been ok with it but the wife has been struggling with it.

She is left handed and complains of accidentally hitting the side buttons. The other gripe is the skip forward and fast forward being the same button. She's also been complaining about the layout in general.

Just to keep the peace I went ahead and ordered a few 40.0 remotes.

After a week I find myself using the 40.0 most of the time. I think this is because of the power button and skip usability features I mentioned before.

Is there a way to get to the Home screen using the 40.0 remote?

Just found what must be a bug with the 52 remote. In Home Media, while playing a movie via DLNA, I cannot pause a movie with the 52 remote. It works fine using the 40 remote. If I pause it with the 40 remote, I cannot resume play with the 50 remote, but I can resume with the 40 remote.

Some of the screens and options are different, but when I use my Harmony remote to navigate everything functions about the same as my old Hopper. Since I use a pre pro for AV the small remote is dead to me when it comes to turning my system on or off. Once everything is up and running I like the 52.0 sometimes for routine stuff. Biggest obstacle for me was no STOP button. But I'm over it!

My Dish Installer left the remotes. If fact he said I could keep anything except the Hopper and Joeys. I could have kept the LNBF assembly but what would I do with it.

I am getting used to the 52.0 remote but I wish the buttons were white like the 40.0. Not back-lit but the 40.0 was easier to see in dim light.

How about 30 second skip, I usually press it 7 or 8 time to skip a commercial. Does the new remte go into fast forward after the second press? Where is a pic of the 52 remote? searched but ... oh well?

How about 30 second skip, I usually press it 7 or 8 time to skip a commercial. Does the new remte go into fast forward after the second press?
No for fast forward you need to hold for a few seconds, one of the reasons I prefer 40.0 remote.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)